An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Must Morals Come From God And Not Anywhere Else?

Fidei Defensor

KnightofChrist

God cannot deceive us, merely test us. God did not deceive Abraham, deception could have only happened if God had allowed Abraham to kill Isaac, which would have made God's earlier promise of covenant blessing a deception.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1642891' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:53 PM']God cannot deceive us, merely test us. God did not deceive Abraham, deception could have only happened if God had allowed Abraham to kill Isaac, which would have made God's earlier promise of covenant blessing a deception.[/quote]

how do you define deception?

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hassan' post='1642842' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:37 PM']God gave Abraham strong reason to believe that it would be required of him to sacrafice Isaac to God[/quote]

Yes. But how is this a lie?

God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. Since Abraham trusted God's promise - that he would be a father of many nations -and knew that God would never lie, one could even argue that Abraham knew that God would intevene before the knife cut Isaac.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1642851' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:39 PM']But technically, God deceived him if he knew all along he would be stopping Abraham.[/quote]

He tested him.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1642856' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:40 PM']Why are we arguing about this anyway?[/quote]

You tell me. I tried to explain why God was not lying, and it went from there.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1642899' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:56 PM']Yes. But how is this a lie?

God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. Since Abraham trusted God's promise - that he would be a father of many nations -and knew that God would never lie, one could even argue that Abraham knew that God would intevene before the knife cut Isaac.

He tested him.

You tell me. I tried to explain why God was not lying, and it went from there.[/quote]

Then if I say you are correct may we move on?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' post='1642896' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:55 PM']how do you define deception?[/quote]

Apparently the answer has gone over your head, and whats the deal with you always playing 20 questions, this is a debate.

God did not deceive Abraham.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hassan' post='1642903' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:59 PM']Then if I say you are correct may we move on?[/quote]

It's not like I was the one who pushed this issue to the breaking point.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1642904' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:00 PM']Apparently the answer has gone over your head, and whats the deal with you always playing 20 questions, this is a debate.

God did not deceive Abraham.[/quote]

I am only asking how you define "deception"

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1642906' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:01 PM']It's not like I was the one who pushed this issue to the breaking point.[/quote]

ok, it was all my fault and you were correct in every respect.

May we now move on?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' post='1642922' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:11 PM']I am only asking how you define "deception"[/quote]

I do not define what God asked of Abraham as deception.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hassan' post='1642924' date='Aug 30 2008, 11:12 PM']ok, it was all my fault and you were correct in every respect.

May we now move on?[/quote]

Yes, we can move on. Which means you can stop asking KoC variations of what you were asking me.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1642925' date='Aug 30 2008, 11:12 PM']I do not define what God asked of Abraham as deception.[/quote]
I know that is your claim.

How do you define deception in general?

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1642926' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:14 PM']Yes, we can move on. Which means you can stop asking KoC variations of what you were asking me.[/quote]

If he would like to I am happy to move on

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' post='1642927' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:14 PM']I know that is your claim.

How do you define deception in general?[/quote]

"To cause to believe what is not true" which if you understood the answer I gave earlier is not what God did in the case of testing Abraham.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1642932' date='Aug 30 2008, 11:16 PM']"To cause to believe what is not true" which if you understood the answer I gave earlier is not what God did in the case of testing Abraham.[/quote]

would you like to move on?

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hassan' post='1642938' date='Aug 30 2008, 11:19 PM']would you like to move on?[/quote]

How patronizing.