An Old School Catholic Message Board

Future Sins Forgiven Already - Once Saved Always Saved

thessalonian

Nihil Obstat

I'm not all that informed on certain finer points of theology, and I also neglected to read this entire thread (sorry!) but there's one thing I'd like to contribute.

God is beyond space and time, so if He wanted, I suppose He could forgive future sins...
...but more importantly, as humans, we're NOT beyond space or time, so future forgiveness would be meaningless to us from a salvation point of view. We won't be forgiven unless we ask forgiveness, right? Well if we assume we've been forgiven for future sins already, then we'll neglect to ask forgiveness anymore. We'd lose that penitent attitude, and tend to go around with a "holier than thou" attitude (which is enough of a challenge for me already!).

thessalonian

[quote name='geetarplayer' post='1634741' date='Aug 22 2008, 02:10 PM']So I guess he doesn't believe there is a difference between sanctifying grace and actual grace.[/quote]

All he says throughout the book is grace "is God's free gift". Catholics of course say amen to this but see grace as what our souls are fed with throughout life. And just as there are different foods there are different graces. In reading (some)protestant theology I get a sense that grace is a one time thing of God being nice and just forgetting about our sin and in this case (McCarthy) even about what we do in the future and ignorning it. In fact God is actively involved in our walk toward holiness. McCarthy doesn't have a real link between sanctification and the cross it seems. He says several times "if we love God we will want to do good works". But there doesn't seem to be that conection of God bringing about the good works in us as Eph 3:20-21 clearly states. Of course when pressed to admit this I think they might but I don't know. We will see. I plan on pressing it.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1634767' date='Aug 22 2008, 01:32 PM']I don't think I can be a part of this debate. I can't really understand what you're saying, Dairy - I don't mean your context, but the way you type. Sorry. :unsure:[/quote]

yeah, i could do a better job spelling things out more. these are abstract ideas, and you either have to follow closely and think about what i'm saying, or i have to spell it out more.
i don't spell it out more, cause i have ot balance clarity with speed,,,, i don't want to be typing all day for something as fleeting as an internet discussion. i think thes understands, and that's what really matters.

MakeYouThink

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1636701' date='Aug 24 2008, 02:01 PM']All he says throughout the book is grace "is God's free gift". Catholics of course say amen to this but see grace as what our souls are fed with throughout life. And just as there are different foods there are different graces. In reading (some)protestant theology I get a sense that grace is a one time thing of God being nice and just forgetting about our sin and in this case (McCarthy) even about what we do in the future and ignorning it. In fact God is actively involved in our walk toward holiness. McCarthy doesn't have a real link between sanctification and the cross it seems. He says several times "if we love God we will want to do good works". But there doesn't seem to be that conection of God bringing about the good works in us as Eph 3:20-21 clearly states. Of course when pressed to admit this I think they might but I don't know. We will see. I plan on pressing it.[/quote]

It really is the blind leading the blind, this OSAS stuff.

And I know what you are saying about Eph 3:20-21 there. That is a humbling scripture, because no matter what my understanding of what God can do, no matter what I think, feel, expect, or anything, God is outside the box entirely.

But, he uses me as a conduit, one such as I, the worst of sinners, to be a blessing and a curse to those around me.

And I am not one of those petty, God got you people either, because I know God will only curse those who want to bring me real harm, not people who might annoy me!

But at the same time, I know he might not be blessing the person who is nice to me, because if they mean my harm by being nice, God will also recompense!

So all I have to do is live, and forget about it!

Edited by MakeYouThink

Some protestants liken salvation to the example of someone getting an exhorbitant fine that cannot be paid by you, but someone else paid it for you. You are horrible guilty sinner, it's just that once you get saved, the sentence is suspended.

But the broken window analogy is good.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1634767' date='Aug 22 2008, 02:32 PM']I don't think I can be a part of this debate. I can't really understand what you're saying, Dairy - I don't mean your context, but the way you type. Sorry. :unsure:[/quote]

Don't worry, because ironically, in a nutshell what dairygirl is typing is essentially the circular reasoning that OSAS can lead to.