An Old School Catholic Message Board

Article On Dominican Nuns

Saint Therese

Saint Therese

Contemplative Dominican Nuns

From The Rambler (Christendom College's Student Journal)

Monasticism to “Reinforce” Christendom
By Marc Solitario and Scott Lozyniak

Friday, 30 November 2007

Many around campus would joke (seriously) that Christendom is a product of the thirteenth century. If you’re actually one who likes this (at least a little bit), we’ve got good news for you! Just twelve miles away on a mountain top in Linden there’s a structure being built that resembles one of the best things to come out of the Middle Ages—and it’s supposed to be that way! After catching wind of this, a group of us from Christendom decided to go find out just what was happening in Linden.

A group of cloistered Dominican nuns have left their home in Washington, D.C., in search of a place more suitable for their way of life. While they are temporarily in Western Massachusetts at another monastery, they are patiently awaiting the completion of a dream become reality after many years of waiting—St. Dominic’s Monastery. So, over fall break we decided to visit these sisters at their temporary home and learn more about this new and exciting development in the life of both their community and the Arlington Diocese.

After 7:45 Mass on the Feast of St. Luke, we found ourselves in the small parlor of the Dominican monastery conversing with two of the sisters. Sr. Mary Fidelis, the novice mistress, and Sr. Mary John Thomas, who just last week entered the novitiate, eagerly met us to give us insight into their small, but growing community. After fussing with the tape recorder and getting settled in over some breakfast, we got down to business.

“So, Sisters, why did you pick Linden, Virginia for your new monastery, and are you anticipating growth in your community now that you have a permanent (and much larger) home?”

Sr. Mary Fidelis recalled being taken to the Linden site for the first time. “The view was breathtaking…in D.C. there wasn’t a lot of privacy, silence, or much solitude, so this property seemed to provide those things. We were able to get a large enough piece of property and build away from the road enough so that when the area develops we will still have that separation. The other monastery was just an old house [some laughter] that the sisters remodeled. In Linden it’s going to be a traditional monastery.”

In regard to growth, the Sisters are excited about the many inquiries they have received from the “rich Catholic area” that they will be living in.

“I think that some of the things that our community values are what young people are looking for in religious life: going back to the traditional habit, devotion to the Eucharist, fidelity to the Church and the Holy Father, and Marian devotion,” commented Sr. Mary Fidelis, “and it’s not an easy life. It’s a challenging life with a radical separation from the world.”

“I think another attractive thing about this community in particular is the desire to live the life authentically, as it is intended to be lived,” said Sr. M. John Thomas.

Sister M. Fidelis then spoke of the community’s movement in response to John Paul II’s “call to a new evangelization” and its revival of many ancient Dominican traditions, the absence of which after Vatican II left the community at a loss. For example, the Sisters said that they have returned to the 3:30 night office in the past few years as well as perpetual abstinence (no more steak, ladies!), the only exception being chicken on Sundays. Other small liturgical things within the monastery will also be re-appropriated. “When you think about it, these women 800 years ago were doing these same traditions,” reflected Sr. Mary Fidelis.

When we had begun speaking of their new foundation around Christendom, many thought we were talking about the new school being founded by the Sisters of St. Cecilia from Nashville, who are active Dominican sisters. The idea of a cloistered Dominican nun drew a few blanks, although ironically the nuns (fully cloistered) came first, founded by St. Dominic himself in the thirteenth century. Then we decided to put the question to the sisters, asking what exactly the difference between them and the active Dominicans sisters was.

“Actually, I was with the Nashville sisters for two years,” replied Sr. M. John Thomas, the youngest in a family of 14 children from Houston, Texas. “I can personally say it is very different. Some of the externals seem the same, and some of the monastic practices are similar, but our life has a fundamental difference in what it is ordered to, and I think for us as nuns it is sole union with God.” She explained that the nuns don’t have an external apostolate, such as teaching. “The other big difference would be the enclosure (separation from world). The very nature of consecration means being set apart, and for us it is for union with God.”

Then, really putting the young novice to the test, we asked her to explain what would distinguish Dominican nuns from other cloistered orders (Poor Clares, etc.).

“The emphasis on the search for Truth, Veritas [the Order’s motto], is part of every branch of the order, and so for us it is the search for Truth as a person. We come to know Truth as a person in God. It [our life] is very Eucharist-centered, with emphasis on the Incarnation of the Word, not only to know it in Scripture, but also through the Liturgy. Dominicans are known for their Marian devotion; the propagation of the Rosary was popularized by the Dominicans. We’ve had the tradition of singing the Salve every evening since the second Master General.”

I inquired into the meaning of the Dominican saying “Contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere” (“To contemplate and to share the fruits of contemplation”), and after thinking for a moment, Sr. M. Fidelis commented: “Study is an important part of the Order for the friars, sisters, and nuns. I know a lot of people would react with saying ‘why study, you’re not going to have to teach or preach’, but as Sister was saying, we’re not studying for anything external, but to get to know God because the more you get to know someone, the more you love them. That is the goal of our study.”

Sr. M. John Thomas then added that Dominicans are known for being at the heart of the Church, and especially for “promoting fidelity to the truths of the Faith, the Magisterium, and to orthodoxy.”

Now that you, dear Christendom student, have an idea of what this community’s charism and life entails, it is only reasonable to want to check it out in person and see these Dominicans in action, as it were. Sister M. Fidelis told us that though a permanent chapel has been planned in the next phases of the project, a temporary one will serve the sisters until the necessary funds are acquired. Also, there will be Eucharistic exposition and adoration, which will grow in length (during the day) as the community increases. Even before the permanent chapel is built, there will be a public chapel that will hold around 25 people (just enough for 2 Christendom van-loads!).

In regard to students visiting, Sr. M. Fidelis said: “we would always welcome the students at different (arranged) times.” The Sisters expressed a desire for even those who might not have a vocation to their community to be exposed to their way of life, even for future priests and fathers to know the life and come to appreciate it. As the Dominican Fr. Gabriel O’Donnell, long-time supporter of St. Dominic’s Monastery, recently expressed (paraphrased): the contemplative nun acts as a silent witness to us, who are caught up in the humdrum of everyday life, to the reality that ultimately, God is the Origin and Meaning of life.

There will be two guest rooms attached to the monastery for relatives and lay people who desire to make a retreat for a week or weekend- a sure “energizer bunny” for our spiritual life.

[url="http://www.lindenopnuns.org/index.html"]Dominican Comtemplative Nuns [/url]

Edited by Saint Therese

A beautiful article. It reinforces why I am hoping to join the Cloistered Dominican sisters in Farmington Hills, MI. Devotion to Mary, search for Truth, study, Eucharistic Adoration, dynamic teaching by their chaplain, Fr. Dave, Liturgy of the Hours, faithful to the Church, and for many other reasons. I especially like how they have sisters from at least 7 other countries. I love that!

[quote name='toservelove' post='1633624' date='Aug 21 2008, 02:33 PM']A beautiful article. It reinforces why I am hoping to join the Cloistered Dominican sisters in Farmington Hills, MI. Devotion to Mary, search for Truth, study, Eucharistic Adoration, dynamic teaching by their chaplain, Fr. Dave, Liturgy of the Hours, faithful to the Church, and for many other reasons. I especially like how they have sisters from at least 7 other countries. I love that![/quote]

Wow! I am so happy to hear that!!! I'm very close with these Sisters and they are just so amazing!! Yay! :clap: I'll be praying for you and for your vocation!

+JMJ+
WOW! I am praying that this BEAUTIFUL MONASTERY gets FLOODED with VOCATIONS!
PRAISE TO OUR MASTER, The Lord JESUS CHRIST!
Dominicans FOREVER!
Beatus :))

Thomist-in-Training

This is a good interview, St Therese! I like the thoughtful questions like 'how are Dominican nuns different from other nuns?' Thanks for posting! I didn't realize about the connection with Christendom. My university is close to a Carmelite monastery so we have a bit of the same thing.

If I remember correctly, Christendom College was a channel of vocations to the Buffalo Carmel, and indirectly to the Brooklyn Carmel vis its refoundation from Buffalo. They probably have enough vocations to fill Brooklyn, and Buffalo for those desirous of a Carmel and this new monastery for Dominicans. I hope some young women investigate the Union City NJ. Domincan monastery as well. I believe it is the original clositered Dominican foundation in the country. They are in serious need of vocations.

Is Union city still open?? I thought they closed that awhile back. I may be very wrong.....isnt the monastery that had only 4-5 really elderly nuns in it and they all got transferred to other monasteries? Forgive me if I have mis-information. Summit is a wonderful place to explore, and what an explosion of vocations to that solid group.

Nice article--I'd also like to add that the Dominican Monastery in Marbury AL would seem to be another good place to live out a very traditional monastic life.

sistersintigo

[quote name='alicemary' post='1637755' date='Aug 25 2008, 04:41 PM']Is Union city still open?? I thought they closed that awhile back. I may be very wrong.....isnt the monastery that had only 4-5 really elderly nuns in it and they all got transferred to other monasteries? Forgive me if I have mis-information. Summit is a wonderful place to explore, and what an explosion of vocations to that solid group.[/quote]
Let me tell you the little I have found out.
There were six nuns, all in or over the seventies in age.
Sr. Mary Clare died of old age; she had resisted transfer and was adamant on dying and being buried in Union City and she got her heart's desire.
Mother Mary Jordan, about five years younger than the previous nun, had been elected prioress. Her diabetes progressed to her extremities in such a way that she could no longer walk. She has been transferred from the monastery enclosure to a nearby nursing care facility.
Sr. Mary Gemma is now the oldest. She has a sort of House Mother post and the chapel altar is her special focus. Physically frail, mentally sharp as ever.
Sr. Mary Charlotte required treatment for cancer. She had to undergo surgery followed by chemo, so was in hospital for several weeks. I do not know if she has completed her outpatient chemo schedule since she returned to the enclosure from hospital.
Sr. Carol Marie is the Sub-Prioress and is in frequent contact with Mother Mary Jordan, thus she has to leave the enclosure sometimes to meet with Mother at the nursing home.
Sr. Maria Aquinas is the youngest, of her individually I know very little.
At latest report this community of four, or five depending on how you view it, were at the mercy of all the red tape and formalities attendant upon transferral and closing. They were still in the enclosure. Their gift shop, which helps them support themselves, was still open at the usual hours, and was attended by a laywoman who made the sales at the cash register. And Mass was still open to public attendance in the Blue Chapel on a daily basis.
I visited once in person. What a powerful atmosphere of prayer, like an invisible architecture of force, a presence, as one passes the enclosure to the public area of the chapel. On some invisible plane, this nearly empty monastery is very much alive. I like to remember it that way.

I have seen photos of their beautiful chapel. Breaks your heart, and they are not alone. There are many monasteries down to a few frail, infirm nuns. I can understand them not wanting to leave the only home they have known for years. And I know what you mean about wanting to remember them as they were. I am very familiar with a monastery of nuns, and they are down to their last 6 nuns, most very elderly. When I went to visit them this summer it broke my heart to see how run down the place was, and how very debilitated the nuns are becoming. I left in tears, I grew up there, just 3 blocks away and spent my youth helping out the externs. It is in an inner city, as so many of the older monasteries were, and the neighborhood is quite bad.
Prayers for our all beloved nuns

sistersintigo

[quote name='sistersintigo' date='Aug 30 2008, 02:27 AM' post='1642248']
Let me tell you the little I have found out.
There were six nuns, all in or over the seventies in age.
Sr. Mary Clare died of old age; she had resisted transfer and was adamant on dying and being buried in Union City and she got her heart's desire.
Mother Mary Jordan, about five years younger than the previous nun, had been elected prioress. Her diabetes progressed to her extremities in such a way that she could no longer walk. She has been transferred from the monastery enclosure to a nearby nursing care facility.
Sr. Mary Gemma is now the oldest. She has a sort of House Mother post and the chapel altar is her special focus. Physically frail, mentally sharp as ever.
Sr. Mary Charlotte required treatment for cancer. She had to undergo surgery followed by chemo, so was in hospital for several weeks. I do not know if she has completed her outpatient chemo schedule since she returned to the enclosure from hospital.

Well, I am advised, by someone closer than I, that Sr. Mary Charlotte died this summer. And so she, like Mother Mary Clare, joins her predecessors in the enclosure graveyard. By my arithmetic, that leaves Mother Mary Jordan in the care of the Caldwell congregation, and from the enclosure, one nun in her nineties and two in their seventies. But my source surprised me by saying that only two survivors remain, and are headed to existing communities or something. I wonder who else died.

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Alicemary, your story is quite familiar, sadly. I wish some of the resources that go into the planning and organization of new communities could be shared with the precious, faithful nuns who have lived good lives and are now in these circumstances. A special prayer for your dear Monastery.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sistersintigo' date='Aug 31 2008, 07:35 PM' post='1643539']
[quote name='sistersintigo' date='Aug 30 2008, 02:27 AM' post='1642248']
Leaving the Property:
A message was sent to me privately, and in respect for this private sharing, I am keeping the sender anonymous, and will only quote, rather than reproduce, from the message. The sender is in a position to know, not the Union City nuns themselves, but the authorities within the diocese and the province [religious order] who have been held responsible for the Perpetual Rosary Monastery in Union City, New Jersey. Those are connections I don't have and it gives the shared message considerable weight.
You might expect a message from the above-described position to favor the authorities, and you would not be wrong; that said, here are some quotes.
"There have been many rumors of the 'neglect' [of the Union City community] by other monasteries without people knowing how all this works. And with the internet, these rumors spread and become facts.
"For years, the Archbishop [of the diocese which includes Union City] has been concerned about [these particular Dominican cloistered nuns], but they resisted all outside help including from other monasteries. They resisted closure of their monastery until it became painfully obvious that they were not going to be able to continue.
"Even the [Dominican] friars have no authority over a monastery; the Master General of the Order of Preachers does not have the authority to close a monastery. Other monasteries wanted to help them [in Union City] whether by offering to have them come to another [Dominican] monastery or to live there at Union City; but each monastery is independent and they are free to accept or refuse help.
"Please pray for the sisters during this difficult time. And for those Dominican nuns who are the 'daughter houses' [i.e., their monasteries were founded years ago from Union City], it's a very sad thing, too. The friars have been doing everything they can to help the sisters. With the closure of the Union City monastery by the Holy See, the prior provincial of this province of Dominican Friars ( to be exact, St. Joseph Province ) was appointed the vicar of the remaining nuns, and has been doing everything he can to make this very difficult closure as gentle as possible." Many thanks and much gratitude, anonymous messenger.
Yes, the Union City property has officially been closed now.
As for the community itself, here is another attempt to summarize where the sisters went.
There were six Dominican nuns when fr. Manuel Merten OP, who was then the Promoter of the Dominican Nuns worldwide, made his final canonical visitation. Two of the six have since died: Sr. Mary Clare OP, first, and very recently Sr. Mary Charlotte OP following a lengthy battle with cancer. Mother Mary Jordan, unable to stand or walk, has been in a nursing care facility in New Jersey for years. Other monasteries had received visitations by Union City nuns delegated for the purpose of finding out where they might transfer/transfiliate to. One of the visited communities is in Hunts Point, the Dominican monastery of Corpus Christi in the Bronx, not terribly far from Union City although across the state line. And from the initial six nuns, one, named Sr. Maria Aquinas OP, elected to go to Corpus Christi in Hunts Point and be admitted there.
In addition to the aforementioned bedridden nun, who was the Prioress, that leaves the Sub-Prioress, Sr. Carol Marie OP, and the "house mother" who cared for the conventual chapel, Sr. Mary Gemma OP. These two women now answer directly to the Dominican friar who is the Prior Provincial of St. Joseph Province of the Order of Preachers. I have been advised that where they went is none of my business. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by sistersintigo

Sistersintigo:

Thank you for the detailed update. I have exactly no connection to these nuns, but I've been praying for them. I am glad to know that my prayers have been answered one way and another, and that all of the sisters are in capable hands - God's, the provincial's, or their sisters'. I know it hasn't been easy getting this information, but I for one am glad to had the perseverance to track it down.

• 1 year later...
sistersintigo

[quote name='Antoniette' date='25 August 2008 - 02:11 PM' timestamp='1219687906' post='1637669']
I hope some young women investigate the Union City NJ. Domincan monastery as well. I believe it is the original cloistered Dominican foundation in the country. They are in serious need of vocations.
[/quote]

As earlier posts have disclosed, it was only a matter of time until the remaining cloistered Dominican nuns parted ways with their Monastery of the Perpetual Rosary in Union City, New Jersey, the site of the well-known Blue Chapel with its French-Catholic motifs of golden fleurs-de-lis and Marial blue. Now the women and the monastery are separated once and for all. Those nuns who did not transfiliate elsewhere (as did Sr. Maria Aquinas OP, to Corpus Christi monastery in the Bronx) have reunited in a nursing care facility, as one of them is bedridden and another, extremely frail physically. Fortunately the nursing care facility is run by Dominican Sisters, nearby in New Jersey.
The Dominican Monastery in Union City stands vacant now, and is the responsibility of the St Joseph Province of the Order of Friars Preachers/Dominican Order, with its headquarters in New York City. Public hearings and meetings have been held with Union City residents about the future of this property; when asked by a local journalist, Prior Provincial fr. Dominic Izzo OP admitted on behalf of his Order, "We cannot maintain it." He went so far as to say, that if a buyer came forward, the Dominican Order would consider selling the Union City monastery and letting go of it entirely. An architect was hired, and grant funds considered, in order to transform the 14th Street location into work-force low-income Section Eight housing, including the drilling for a lot of underground parking spaces for the residents...under the monastery, obviously.
The Union City neighbors were loud and emotional, at the meeting, in their rejection of the housing proposal. (Hudson Reporter website)