An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Aspartame Good For You?

MakeYouThink

MissScripture

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1633903' date='Aug 21 2008, 07:29 PM']It's possible to avoid the withdrawal symptoms by stepping down usage over time.

I don't use artificial sweeteners because (1) I don't like the taste and (2) I don't like the idea of tricking my body. I do use caffeine quite regularly. Coffee is my happy juice.[/quote]
Have you ever tried the sweetners sitting on tables in restaraunts straight? IT IS SO GROSS! They are not sweet at all!
And I can notice the difference when sugar vs. artifical sweetners are used. Never found a case where the artifical is better than sugar.

MakeYouThink

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1633945' date='Aug 21 2008, 07:25 PM']Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but...

wasn't aspartame used first as insecticide (killing ants) before it was used to sweeten our sodas?[/quote]

I do believe so. Let me google to find those documents.

I believe that withdrawal from aspartame is more trouble for me than actually drinking aspartame on a regular basis.

But then again, so is caffeine. :)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1633790' date='Aug 21 2008, 10:34 PM']So...all you drink...are hard drinks?
Well, I hear the first step is admittance.[/quote]
That's the joke my grandfather used to say to me all the time (he did always offer me a Scotch on the rocks after that). :drunk:

I've just never had more than a sip or two of soft drinks. I'm told this makes me un-American. :mellow:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1633639' date='Aug 21 2008, 02:00 PM']Soda? Really? Soda? :rolleyes:[/quote]

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1633786' date='Aug 21 2008, 05:30 PM']Soda? <_< You call yourself Minnesotan! Psh![/quote]

I... I... I went to college with a bunch of Milwaukeeans... and... well. college can be a time of great influence on a person... plus I married an Illinoisian... and well...

but I KNOW it's pop... I just... well...

and hotdish... rubber binders.... and I know that "bag" is most correctly pronounced as "beg"... I know...

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1634446' date='Aug 22 2008, 09:01 AM']That's the joke my grandfather used to say to me all the time (he did always offer me a Scotch on the rocks after that). :drunk:

I've just never had more than a sip or two of soft drinks. I'm told this makes me un-American. :mellow:[/quote]

You know, I find it ironic that some people refuse to drink alcohol with the reasoning that they don't want to risk becoming alcoholic, yet will consume two or three soft drinks a day. Where the risk of alcoholism is simply about practicing self-control, there's not much you can do about the long-term damage so many soft drinks will have on your body. Plus, most alcohol (especially wines and most beers that don't resemble Bud) provides nutritional benefits. There is nothing at all redeeming about soft drinks.

Of course, it's not health they are concerned about. They're just following the taboo against alcohol that they were raised with. Fortunately, America is steadily leaving its Puritanical roots behind... not a good thing in every way, but overall, probably a good thing. There's even starting to be talk about university presidents about having the drinking age lowered to 18.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1634447' date='Aug 22 2008, 09:07 AM']but I KNOW it's pop... I just... well...[/quote]

We just call 'em Cokes here :) Unless, of course, you need to be more specific. Although, I hear some people here use other terms too. The only one that catches my attention and say, "You ain't from 'round these here parts, is ya?" is when I hear it called pop. :)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1634469' date='Aug 22 2008, 02:03 PM']You know, I find it ironic that some people refuse to drink alcohol with the reasoning that they don't want to risk becoming alcoholic, yet will consume two or three soft drinks a day. Where the risk of alcoholism is simply about practicing self-control, there's not much you can do about the long-term damage so many soft drinks will have on your body. Plus, most alcohol (especially wines and most beers that don't resemble Bud) provides nutritional benefits. There is nothing at all redeeming about soft drinks.

Of course, it's not health they are concerned about. They're just following the taboo against alcohol that they were raised with. Fortunately, America is steadily leaving its Puritanical roots behind... not a good thing in every way, but overall, probably a good thing. There's even starting to be talk about university presidents about having the drinking age lowered to 18.[/quote]
Couldn't agree more. Or the irony of people wanting organic, hormone-free foods and then pumping themselves full of hormones.

Beer was part of the daily grain ration for the pyramid workers, actually. Red wine is good for the heart. And the antioxidants in whiskey may have health benefits. :))

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1634474' date='Aug 22 2008, 10:08 AM']Couldn't agree more. Or the irony of people wanting organic, hormone-free foods and then pumping themselves full of hormones.[/quote]

Which is why some of those folks like NFP :)

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1634474' date='Aug 22 2008, 10:08 AM']Beer was part of the daily grain ration for the pyramid workers, actually.[/quote]

And the Belgian monks brewed beer to fufill their nutritional needs during their strict fasts. That's why it's sooo good. There's this one called Three Philosophers that some of my friends and I get after we play frisbee. We just had it last night... delicious!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1634475' date='Aug 22 2008, 02:12 PM']And the Belgian monks brewed beer to fufill their nutritional needs during their strict fasts. That's why it's sooo good. There's this one called Three Philosophers that some of my friends and I get after we play frisbee. We just had it last night... delicious![/quote]
Yeah, I've heard that. I'm still not all that big on beer, but I'm learning. Perhaps I'll have to try that one sometime.

• 1 year later...

I was going to make a new topic on this until I discovered there already was one. :) I believe I have too much aspartame in my system and it's causing problems. I drink a lot of diet cokes and on Sunday, I realized that there might be something wrong. I've looked at everything--from an allergic reaction to tea, to Vitamin D deficiency, to B12 deficiency--but then something else cropped up last night--a non-itchy rash. I looked up "aspartame side effects" and I have several of them:

-decreased tears
-severe intolerance of noise
-dizziness
-memory loss (and I'm only 26)
-parathesia (this started on Sunday as nervous "pins and needles" on my back and down my arms)
-irritability
-palpitations (this started off and on today; but was mild)
-severe PMS
-frequency of voiding and burning during urination

...to name a few. Needless to say, I am cutting out the sodas completely. I honestly thought my "pins and needles" thing was going away, but I noticed it occurs especially when I drink a diet beverage. It makes sense.

I hope the reactions don't last too long after I come off it. I'll have to talk to my doctor about aspartame allergies.