An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Aspartame Good For You?

MakeYouThink

MakeYouThink

[img]http://www.sweetpoison.com/articles/92-aspartame-symptoms-FDA.gif[/img]

From [url="http://www.sweetpoison.com/"]sweetpoison.com[/url]

I don't know much about it. It seems like there is a lot of anecdotal evidence, which may or may not hold weight, without further studies. I suggest taking a look at [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy"]Wikipedia's page[/url] on the controversy for more info. I noticed that they had three studies there, but it's late and I don't want to read them. :)

Czech_Texan_Cowboy

There are other studies that said it affects certain hormones that you get a stronger urge to eat, and another study found that people who used diet sodas compensated in their eating else where because they had the attitude that they were saving calories in their drink do they could eat more, but then they typically ate more calories than thy would have saved.

Five of my friends and I used to regularly drink diet soda. I watched a special report by Dr. Gupta on NBC news once which prompted me to do some research online. Dr. Gupta basically likened the combination of Aspertame and Caffeine to Metaamphetamines (Speed). After sharing that research with my friends, we decided to stop drinking it cold turkey. After just a couple of days going without, we found ourselves literally going through withdrawal symptoms: painful migranes, shaking hands, racing pulse, etc. We suffered these symptoms for almost a full 2 weeks. I even found myself smelling the diet soda at the cafeteria at work and finding my pulse race as a result. To this day, if I have just a sip of diet soda, I get a terrible headache later. Make up your mind for yourself, but I consider aspartame drinks to be a legalized and dangerous drug.

homeschoolmom

I prefer the regular sodas-- aspertame gives me a headache (but only in some sodas, not all). I'm trying to cut down on sodas in general, though....

Is sugar really that good for you? Not in excess. So I really doubt that any artificial sweetener would be that good for you either.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1633453' date='Aug 21 2008, 08:17 AM']I prefer the regular sodas-- aspertame gives me a headache (but only in some sodas, not all). I'm trying to cut down on sodas in general, though....[/quote]
Soda? Really? Soda? :rolleyes:

LouisvilleFan

Ever since learning about birth control, I've started to question most everything coming from our pharmaceutical industry. Much of it is good, but it's all promoted by the profit motive, which results in medication be prescribed too often, or over-prescribed by dosage, or being pushed through R&D too quickly, or simply companies coming up with products and uses for existing products that are completely unnecessary and artificial. I think less than off the medication that is prescribed is actually necessary and truly helpful, though in those situations I am thankful that we can treat them.

What we need to do is drop the tariffs on cane sugar imports so that food manufacturers can afford to use the sugar God created for us instead of the high fructose corn syrup made by Monsanto or some such company. Our bodies were made to process real sugar in moderation as part of a overall healthy diet. Real sugar is good for us. Everything else is junk food. I don't need research to tell me aspartame is harmful. All I need to know is that it's a man-made substitute for a gift from God. How can it be an improvement?

So, gimme some sugar baby.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

MissScripture

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1633453' date='Aug 21 2008, 08:17 AM']I prefer the regular sodas-- aspertame gives me a headache (but only in some sodas, not all). I'm trying to cut down on sodas in general, though....[/quote]
Soda? <_< You call yourself Minnesotan! Psh!

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1633455' date='Aug 21 2008, 07:23 AM']Another reason to be glad I don't drink soft drinks at all.[/quote]
So...all you drink...are hard drinks?
Well, I hear the first step is admittance.

But really, folks:
[b]Anything[/b] in excessive quantities is bad for you. It's possible to die by drinking too much water (we had a runner in the Jax area just a few years ago do so). The golden rule applies: "All things in moderation."

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

MissScripture

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1633790' date='Aug 21 2008, 05:34 PM']So...all you drink...are hard drinks?
Well, I hear the first step is admittance.

But really, folks:
[b]Anything[/b] in excessive quantities is bad for you. It's possible to die by drinking too much water (we had a runner in the Jax area just a few years ago do so). The golden rule applies: "All things in moderation."[/quote]
Sounds like my high school biology teacher; "There's no such thing as "junk food". Anything you eat in excess is BAD!"

This is lilac_angel on peach_cube's account.

I've known about the aspartame stuff for ages.

I've also noticed that when I drink it, I'm sensitive to its effects. My muscles tense up and sometimes even get painful, my moods get bad, and I get fatigued. For me, its poisonous effects are evident by just drinking it.

I use a little bit of that natural sweetener Stevia, but I'm trying to use just a tiny bit and not rely on sweetness so much because as peach_cube said, it's all bad for your health.

Splenda has given people major skin rashes and sores; it has been known for other side effects, as well. I get itchy all over almost immediately after drinking it.

[quote name='abercius24' post='1633445' date='Aug 21 2008, 06:14 AM']Five of my friends and I used to regularly drink diet soda. I watched a special report by Dr. Gupta on NBC news once which prompted me to do some research online. Dr. Gupta basically likened the combination of Aspertame and Caffeine to Metaamphetamines (Speed). After sharing that research with my friends, we decided to stop drinking it cold turkey. After just a couple of days going without, we found ourselves literally going through withdrawal symptoms: painful migranes, shaking hands, racing pulse, etc. We suffered these symptoms for almost a full 2 weeks. I even found myself smelling the diet soda at the cafeteria at work and finding my pulse race as a result. To this day, if I have just a sip of diet soda, I get a terrible headache later. Make up your mind for yourself, but I consider aspartame drinks to be a legalized and dangerous drug.[/quote]
It's possible to avoid the withdrawal symptoms by stepping down usage over time.

I don't use artificial sweeteners because (1) I don't like the taste and (2) I don't like the idea of tricking my body. I do use caffeine quite regularly. Coffee is my happy juice.

dominicansoul

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but...

wasn't aspartame used first as insecticide (killing ants) before it was used to sweeten our sodas?