An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christian Persecution In The United States?

Hassan

Vincent Vega

How can one be religious without a God? That's a serious question, not rhetoric.
The consensual definition I've put together is:
"a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny".
Call that power God, YHWH, Jehovah, Allah, it doesn't matter. It's still God.

And, I never contended that one needed to be Catholic or even Christian. to be religious or moral. An atheist may be moral, though according to him, he'd have no reason to.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1641993' date='Aug 29 2008, 08:16 PM']How can one be religious without a God? That's a serious question, not rhetoric.
The consensual definition I've put together is:
"a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny".
Call that power God, YHWH, Jehovah, Allah, it doesn't matter. It's still God.

And, I never contended that one needed to be Catholic or even Christian. to be religious or moral. An atheist may be moral, though according to him, he'd have no reason to.[/quote]
The problem I have is that you and your religion contend that morals must come from God. Why? Why must they come from God? You say that without God, there are no morals. But why must God be the absolute moral authority?

These are serious questions I have because no one has ever addressed them. Why can't the moral standard be something that everyone has chosen to believe? You choose to believe your religion over others so in essence, you are choosing one set of morals over the other. Why then does God have to be the ultimate authority?

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1642013' date='Aug 29 2008, 08:34 PM']Hmm. That's a good one FD.
Allow me to take some time to get back to you, yes?[/quote]
Absolutely. I will actually start a new thread so that we don't get off topic here. Sound good?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1641983' date='Aug 29 2008, 11:03 PM']Why do you have to be religious to be moral?

Oh wait, I know. Because if you're not religious, then the morals dont fit in your narrow definition of what is moral.[/quote]
You do not have to be religious to be moral.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1642057' date='Aug 29 2008, 08:49 PM']You do not have to be religious to be moral.[/quote]
Thank you, that was my point.

If you want to further discuss this, I made a new topic.

Whether a person believes Christians are persecuted or not in the U.S.A. can be backed up with all sorts of true stories.

There are a lot of jobs that Christians shouldn't even try to get, and then there are a lot of jobs that only Christians are allowed to apply for. In the latter, it could still be a faith-based group that receives government money.