An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Dont Have To Go To Purgatory !

[quote name='Deb' post='1650843' date='Sep 8 2008, 05:15 PM']No. Purgatory is not really very nice. It is of course where you want to be if you don't get a straight shot into heaven. There is no way to merit your way out of there, you have to basically do your time. People can pray to help you move along but, you can't do anything for yourself. That is why you need lots of people left here to pray for you.[/quote]
Oh. Well that answers that.
So was this guy... waaaay off in left field?
Just to nitpick a bit though, because it's a nice idea that I'm sorta sad to let go of, what Church documents will set me straight?

[quote name='Deb' post='1650843' date='Sep 8 2008, 05:15 PM']No. Purgatory is not really very nice. It is of course where you want to be if you don't get a straight shot into heaven. There is no way to merit your way out of there, you have to basically do your time. People can pray to help you move along but, you can't do anything for yourself. That is why you need lots of people left here to pray for you.[/quote]

is this the official answer ?

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1652761' date='Sep 10 2008, 09:32 PM']is this the official answer ?[/quote]
Basically what I wondered too. :))