An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Dont Have To Go To Purgatory !

[quote]What about Budge? How many days of Purg does she get?[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Budge is gonna be in the level above heaven, that's how perfect she is! :P

actually, it's wrong to speculate where anyone goes, since we have no idea.

the lords sheep

Wow, I guess I'm not supposed to get the whole beer and tracking missiles thing...
So... anyway....

I saw an episode of "Sunday Night Live" with Fr. Benedict Groeschel where he talked about [url="http://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Genoa-Purgation-Purgatory-Spirituality/dp/0809122073/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220299338&sr=1-7"]This Book[/url] with the savings of Catherine of Genoa. Here, if you'd rather not buy the book, is Catherine's [url="http://www.cfpeople.org/Apologetics/page51a013.html"]Treatise on Purgatory[/url]

I highly recommend it. It's beautiful.

[quote name='MakeYouThink' post='1644528' date='Sep 1 2008, 03:14 PM']Where do you get these numbers from?

What about Fedei saying Jesus is a word that has the definition of - an illegitimate child.

How many days of Purg does he get?

What about Budge? How many days of Purg does she get?

What about me, a protestant? How many days in Purg do I get for not believing the claims that the Catholic Church church is God's only church?[/quote]

You won't get any days in purgatory. :topsy:

[quote name='Deb' post='1644749' date='Sep 1 2008, 05:47 PM']You won't get any days in purgatory. :topsy:[/quote]

Does that mean, I go to :saint: ?

Or does that mean I go to :devil: ?

LOL! :lol_roll:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MakeYouThink' post='1644751' date='Sep 1 2008, 06:51 PM']Does that mean, I go to :saint: ?

Or does that mean I go to :devil: ?

LOL! :lol_roll:[/quote]
I just want the scrubby bubbles of purgatory to get me ready for heaven, I don't care how long it takes :).If you are not clean St Pete won't open the door.

[quote name='kafka' post='1644596' date='Sep 1 2008, 04:01 PM']I wrote a article on Purgatory about a year ago which discusses some of the topics in this thread (excluding cruise missiles and Japan and beer) about Purgatory if anyone would like to have a look just PM me.

But now I am going to sleep so you will have to wait[/quote]
no one interested

shocker!

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1644646' date='Sep 1 2008, 04:36 PM']Wow, I guess I'm not supposed to get the whole beer and tracking missiles thing...
So... anyway....

I saw an episode of "Sunday Night Live" with Fr. Benedict Groeschel where he talked about [url="http://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Genoa-Purgation-Purgatory-Spirituality/dp/0809122073/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220299338&sr=1-7"]This Book[/url] with the savings of Catherine of Genoa. Here, if you'd rather not buy the book, is Catherine's [url="http://www.cfpeople.org/Apologetics/page51a013.html"]Treatise on Purgatory[/url]

I highly recommend it. It's beautiful.[/quote]
I quoted her in my article. She has some good insights

I have something to say that isn't strictly on topic... but it's a question about Purgatory. I wanted to mention it earlier, but I forgot. :)
I read somewhere once (in a Catholic article, I think... or maybe CS Lewis. No, it wasn't him, but he said something similar, not talking about Purgatory but levels of heaven, which is a while different can of worms.) that one can view reality (to use a general term) as a staircase. Crudely.
So to really shorten the idea, going to Purgatory, rather than being the sort of grey, dreary, and rather dismal place we tend to envision, would actually be a step up in reality, in existence. We would 'more alive' rather than sort of stuck.
It kind of implies to me almost another world. Of course a very different world, probably one that we can't begin to understand, but a new and more vibrant world.
That is, if this has any theological merit.

What do you guys think? Was this opinion a legitimate one? I have to admit, it's attractive... but to me it almost seemed too easy? Sorta like OSAS, it seemed like a way to dance around a rather unattractive reality.

[quote name='Fundie' post='1649546' date='Sep 6 2008, 09:49 PM']SOUNDS LIKE BUDDHISM TO ME! THEY ALL BURN IN HELL![/quote]
Don't troll pl0x. :(
Besides, you think Buddhist has Purgatory? I'd doubt that.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1649387' date='Sep 6 2008, 07:34 PM']I have something to say that isn't strictly on topic... but it's a question about Purgatory. I wanted to mention it earlier, but I forgot. :)
I read somewhere once (in a Catholic article, I think... or maybe CS Lewis. No, it wasn't him, but he said something similar, not talking about Purgatory but levels of heaven, which is a while different can of worms.) that one can view reality (to use a general term) as a staircase. Crudely.
So to really shorten the idea, going to Purgatory, rather than being the sort of grey, dreary, and rather dismal place we tend to envision, would actually be a step up in reality, in existence. We would 'more alive' rather than sort of stuck.
It kind of implies to me almost another world. Of course a very different world, probably one that we can't begin to understand, but a new and more vibrant world.
That is, if this has any theological merit.

What do you guys think? Was this opinion a legitimate one? I have to admit, it's attractive... but to me it almost seemed too easy? Sorta like OSAS, it seemed like a way to dance around a rather unattractive reality.[/quote]

No. Purgatory is not really very nice. It is of course where you want to be if you don't get a straight shot into heaven. There is no way to merit your way out of there, you have to basically do your time. People can pray to help you move along but, you can't do anything for yourself. That is why you need lots of people left here to pray for you.