An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Dont Have To Go To Purgatory !

[quote name='Justin86' post='1644520' date='Sep 1 2008, 03:12 PM']I would like to go on a cruise.[/quote]
A cruise with a missile.

I was in one spelling bee. I was asked to spell "missal," but didn't ask that it be used in a sentence. I spelled "missile," and was ejected in the first round.

Stupid hippies.

[quote name='Paddington' post='1644531' date='Sep 1 2008, 03:17 PM']Anybody is fortunate to get any # of "days" in Purgatory.[/quote]

Here's the reason I have a problem with Purgatory.

If heaven and hell exist outside time and space, time doesn't exist. Days don't exist.

A friend of mine was at work once, and just thanked God for the miracle of freeing him from Heroin addiction, went into heaven, saw Jesus Christ open the first seal judgment. He believed he was there for 15 minutes, but when the vision ended. . . No time passed on Earth.

How long is a day in heaven? Zero time apparently. So how many days will we have to spend in Purgatory, zero days and zero seconds, because time doesn't function in the afterlife!

Edited by MakeYouThink

[quote name='MakeYouThink' post='1644544' date='Sep 1 2008, 05:54 PM']Here's the reason I have a problem with Purgatory.

If heaven and hell exist outside time and space, time doesn't exist. Days don't exist.[/quote]

Time could exist in a different form. Also, days can refer to days of penance on earth that are done by or imputed to the penitent.

The same argument applies to discussion of heaven and hell, as well. These are terms used to we can understand them while here on earth.

[quote name='Paddington' post='1644552' date='Sep 1 2008, 03:31 PM']Time could exist in a different form. Also, days can refer to days of penance on earth that are done by or imputed to the penitent.[/quote]

[url="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/eternity"]http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/eternity[/url]

[quote]e·ter·ni·ty
1. infinite time; duration without beginning or end.
2. eternal existence, esp. as contrasted with mortal life: the eternity of God.
[b]3. Theology. the timeless state into which the soul passes at a person's death.[/b]
4. an endless or seemingly endless period of time: We had to wait an eternity for the check to arrive.
5. eternities, the truths or realities of life and thought that are regarded as timeless or eternal..[/quote]

So, in theology, eternity is a timeless state.

Again, if we are eternity, when we die, then there is no time in Purgatory, and so we spend zero days and zero minutes and zero seconds and zero tenths of a second and zero hundredths of a second and zero thousandths of a second, ect, ect, ect.

There is no time in purgatory, you're just purified because Time doesn't function there. It's a gift of God to believers for standing until the end!

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='MakeYouThink' post='1644563' date='Sep 1 2008, 01:41 PM'][url="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/eternity"]http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/eternity[/url]

So, in theology, eternity is a timeless state.

Again, if we are eternity, when we die, then there is no time in Purgatory, and so we spend zero days and zero minutes and zero seconds and zero tenths of a second and zero hundredths of a second and zero thousandths of a second, ect, ect, ect.

There is no time in purgatory, you're just purified because Time doesn't function there. It's a gift of God to believers for standing until the end![/quote]
But if you spend an eternity in heaven or hell, that also means you spend zero days, zero minutes, zero seconds, etc, there.

I think the point is, time is a human understanding. The afterlife doesn't have time, so you can spend "time" in purgatory, you just can't really measure it in human terms.

That dictionary is neither a theological, philosophical nor scientific text. Leave such trite arguments to the weakest of vollies in a scrabble argument.

Eternity

(aeternum, originally aeviternum, aionion, aeon -- long).
Eternity is defined by Boetius (De Consol. Phil., V, vi) as "possession, without succession and perfect, of interminable life" (interminabilis vitae tota simul et perfecta possessio). The definition, which was adopted by the Schoolmen, at least as applying to eternity properly so called, that of God, implies four things: that eternity is

a life,
[b]without beginning or end,[/b]
or succession, and
of the most perfect kind.

From [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05551b.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05551b.htm[/url]

There is no beginning or end in eternity, therefore there is no seconds, hours, days, weeks, months, years in eternity, as then we could point and say, this is the beginning and this is the end.

And before you say, hey - that only applies to God.

Jesus is God. Jesus was given a glorified body and is in heaven, in eternity sitting at the right hand (power and authority) of God.

So, if we are joint heirs of Christ, then we will be given glorified bodies and exist in eternity as well, and since eternity has no beginning and no end, we will not experience seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years because then we could point and say, this is the beginning and this is the end!

Edited by MakeYouThink

I wrote a article on Purgatory about a year ago which discusses some of the topics in this thread (excluding cruise missiles and Japan and beer) about Purgatory if anyone would like to have a look just PM me.

But now I am going to sleep so you will have to wait