An Old School Catholic Message Board

Born Again Christians

Nihil Obstat

homeschoolmom

Having spent a good number of years in Evangelical circles (and, well, being one), I would have to say it varies. Our former church had no problem with mentioning the Father or the Holy Spirit or Jesus (for that matter). And we never did "Jesus this, Jesus that" (whatever that means). We were firmly trinitarian... like most evangelicals.

Since we're all sharing personal experiences here, here's my own.

In my Baptist Church I almost never heard about the Holy Spirit to my recall. However I often heard about Jesus and God the Father. The only time I recall the Holy Spirit being mentioned was in our little 30 second doxology that Catholics would recognize as a slightly changed version of the Glory Be. And I never even heard that once we started contemporary worship.

At a Pentecostal church I've been known to attend...yeah...I rarely heard about anyone but Jesus. In fact, it wasn't uncommon for some of the girls to just whisper really fast during prayers "Jesus! Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!"

The only 'service' I've attended within the last six months where I've heard all three parts of the Trinity mentioned is the Mass.

Selah: I so bookmarked your dad's blog. Had no clue he was only about an hour and forty minutes away from me. next thing you know, you two will have been at Camp Cowen too.

Edited by BG45

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='BG45' post='1631615' date='Aug 19 2008, 11:31 AM']Since we're all sharing personal experiences here, here's my own.

In my Baptist Church I almost never heard about the Holy Spirit to my recall. However I often heard about Jesus and God the Father. The only time I recall the Holy Spirit being mentioned was in our little 30 second doxology that Catholics would recognize as a slightly changed version of the Glory Be. And I never even heard that once we started contemporary worship.[/quote]

Same here - i don't remember hearing about the Holy SPirit in my Baptist days - always Jesus, and sometimes, a confusing amalgamation of Jesus and Father as one Person.

but yes - what's the debate?

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1631402' date='Aug 19 2008, 03:14 AM']I've noticed this for quite some time. It's Jesus this and Jesus that.[/quote]

"That's what all these cripples down at the VA talk about: Jeee-sus this and Jeee-sus that. They even had a [i]priest[/i] come and talk to me. He said... Gawwd is listening... and if I found Jeee-sus, I'd get to [i]walk[/i] beside him in the kingdom of Heaven. Did you hear what I said? [i]WALK[/i] beside him in the kingdom of Heaven! Well kiss my crippled [butt]. Gawwd is [i]listening[/i]? What a crock of [mushy mud pie]."

--Lt. Dan, Forrest Gump

I just felt inspired to toss a throwback to 1994.

And I remember a thread about excessive Protestant (particularly Reformed/Baptist) focus on Jesus above the other two Persons of the Trinity. Of course, even we tend to pray to Jesus more often than the other Persons (if you listen to the prayers at Mass, you'll notice it) and I think it's intended to be that way because Jesus is meant to be the Way to the Father. He is the only divine and human person.

My experience in Protestantism is that among Evangelicals and most Baptist and Reformed Christians, you will a strong emphasis on the Trinity as a "non-negotiable" belief. Some Pentecostals are not Trinitarian, and in that regard they are pseudo-Christian just like Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, who all share some nuanced belief in their own version of the "Trinity." But you won't find any legitimate Protestant minister or theologian (save possibly the Anglican Communion) that will even question the Trinity as we believe it.

The pastor of my last Baptist church even blesses us in the benediction "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." He raises his right hand upward to give the blessing while the congregation raises their hands upward to receive the blessing... if that sounds a tad corny, that's probably because it is. :) When I visit, I'm always tempted to cross myself... I really should... it's one of those communities that loves art and music and values individual expression, so by golly I ought to cross myself!

[quote]Sometimes, when someone prays to the Father, they'll get looks on their faces to suggest that they feel awkward[/quote]

This is because some protestants are taught to fear the Father. I remember reading somewhere...it was a book by R.L. Hymers Jr.: "Point the sinner away from God the Father. He needs a refuge from God the Father and his Holy Wrath...Coming to God and not Jesus will get the sinner burned with fire!"

I don't understand how someone you call your "father" can be approached with fear...an unhealthy kind shown towards an enemy, not a loving friend.

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1631402' date='Aug 19 2008, 02:14 AM']Yeah, they're all the same person, but concentrating on one aspect of that person seems to be improper.[/quote]

Not to nitpick, but I'll nitpick.

God is three persons, with one same nature. God the Father is fully a person, with His own identity, and is perfect in every way. God the Father has an image of Himself, and that self-image is so perfect and so complete that it is a person as well -- Jesus. God the Father loves God the Son so completely and so perfectly, and Jesus returns the love of the Father so perfectly, that the love is, again, a person -- the Holy Spirit.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1632033' date='Aug 19 2008, 06:36 PM']Not to nitpick, but I'll nitpick.

God is three persons, with one same nature. God the Father is fully a person, with His own identity, and is perfect in every way. God the Father has an image of Himself, and that self-image is so perfect and so complete that it is a person as well -- Jesus. God the Father loves God the Son so completely and so perfectly, and Jesus returns the love of the Father so perfectly, that the love is, again, a person -- the Holy Spirit.[/quote]

not to nitpick, but [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s=&showtopic=83841&view=findpost&p=1631405"]Aloysius already covered that.[/url] :)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1631797' date='Aug 19 2008, 03:01 PM']"That's what all these cripples down at the VA talk about: Jeee-sus this and Jeee-sus that. They even had a [i]priest[/i] come and talk to me. He said... Gawwd is listening... and if I found Jeee-sus, I'd get to [i]walk[/i] beside him in the kingdom of Heaven. Did you hear what I said? [i]WALK[/i] beside him in the kingdom of Heaven! Well kiss my crippled [butt]. Gawwd is [i]listening[/i]? What a crock of [mushy mud pie]."

--Lt. Dan, Forrest Gump[/quote]

Lt. Dan: Have you found Jesus yet, Gump?
Forrest: I didn't know I was supposed to be looking for him, sir.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='MakeYouThink' post='1631407' date='Aug 19 2008, 01:23 AM']You guys are really bigoted. Nobody should start a thread like this, because you come off like some old stodgy people who can't see things from another person's perspective![/quote]
DO NOT go there.
I swear, the next time someone makes a comment like that about me without actually bothing to pay attention to what I'm saying... I don't even know.
DO NOT try that.
Once again, you're 100% blatantly incorrect.

Farsight one

[quote name='Selah' post='1632005' date='Aug 19 2008, 06:49 PM']This is because some protestants are taught to fear the Father. I remember reading somewhere...it was a book by R.L. Hymers Jr.: "Point the sinner away from God the Father. He needs a refuge from God the Father and his Holy Wrath...Coming to God and not Jesus will get the sinner burned with fire!"

I don't understand how someone you call your "father" can be approached with fear...an unhealthy kind shown towards an enemy, not a loving friend.[/quote]That's good old fashioned misinterpritation of scripture for ya. They see the phrase "fear God", and they think it means they should actually be afraid of Him instead of in awe of Him. What can you do? :idontknow:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1632421' date='Aug 20 2008, 12:17 AM']That's good old fashioned misinterpritation of scripture for ya. They see the phrase "fear God", and they think it means they should actually be afraid of Him instead of in awe of Him. What can you do? :idontknow:[/quote]
I was entirely unaware of that whole state of them being 'afraid', so to speak. :P Wow.
Of course I'm not going to make big sweeping generalizations. I was careful about that on my first post.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1632415' date='Aug 20 2008, 02:09 AM']DO NOT go there.
I swear, the next time someone makes a comment like that about me without actually bothing to pay attention to what I'm saying... I don't even know.
DO NOT try that.
Once again, you're 100% blatantly incorrect.[/quote]

Now now... remember :madrant: + :pray: = ^_^

[quote name='Selah' post='1632499' date='Aug 20 2008, 08:12 AM']Now now... remember :madrant: + :pray: = ^_^[/quote]
Actually I try and pray first and talk later....