An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Are There So Few Non-catholics Here?

MakeYouThink

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1634951' date='Aug 22 2008, 05:20 PM']Hey, just like jedis. :D
I know someone who cites his religion as Starbucks on his Facebook profile.
Well we all know that those guys don't really know how to slay demons. :D What on earth will they be able to do without Holy Water?[/quote]

Not as much as we can do :grin: Confession (especially) is actually as powerful as an exorcism, in many cases, I hear.

Haha. That reminds me... Someone on Facebook under Religious Views listed something like "No, I can't see much from where I am..."... I can't remember exactly what it said, but he made the "views" thing mean something like a view you'd see looking across a majestic landscape. It was pretty funny, I'll give him that much.

Edited by lilac_angel

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1636199' date='Aug 23 2008, 10:59 PM']Not as much as we can do :grin: Confession (especially) is actually as powerful as an exorcism, in many cases, I hear.

Haha. That reminds me... Someone on Facebook under Religious Views listed something like "No, I can't see much from where I am..."... I can't remember exactly what it said, but he made the "views" thing mean something like a view you'd see looking across a majestic landscape. It was pretty funny, I'll give him that much.[/quote]
Confession, frequent confession, can be ecer more powerful than an exorcism. :D Can't have one without the other to make it stick.
Wait, that's not true.
You can't have exorcism without confession.
I think that you (and, of course, God) could probably throw a demon out of yourself with confession alone, in some circumstances.

Lol, those religious and political views areas leave so much to interpretation. :D
I put my political views as "religious right", but I'm not entirely happy with that. It identifies my too closely with fundementalist Christians with the whole 6 day creationism. I don't want to be associated with that. I didn't think Conservative covered it.
I want something that expresses both Catholicism and small-c conservatism. :P
Any suggestions? :D

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1636212' date='Aug 23 2008, 11:06 PM']Confession, frequent confession, can be ecer more powerful than an exorcism. :D Can't have one without the other to make it stick.
Wait, that's not true.
You can't have exorcism without confession.
I think that you (and, of course, God) could probably throw a demon out of yourself with confession alone, in some circumstances.

Lol, those religious and political views areas leave so much to interpretation. :D
I put my political views as "religious right", but I'm not entirely happy with that. It identifies my too closely with fundementalist Christians with the whole 6 day creationism. I don't want to be associated with that. I didn't think Conservative covered it.
Any suggestions? :D[/quote]

Yup, I think so too.

How about "Having a Conscience," or something similar. hahaha... one of my good Catholic friends used that one for Political Views. Cuts to the chase without sounding fundamentalist.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1636261' date='Aug 23 2008, 11:23 PM']Yup, I think so too.

How about "Having a Conscience," or something similar. hahaha... one of my good Catholic friends used that one for Political Views. Cuts to the chase without sounding fundamentalist.[/quote]
I'm always on the lookout for a political philosohpy that's specifically Catholic, but I've never found one. :P
We're too good for politics, I suppose. (in a snooty voice)
Mmm yes, quite.
Indeed.

[quote name='BG45' post='1631618' date='Aug 19 2008, 11:05 PM']I tried debating you all...and then like the second time I did I ended up creating a massive Scripture filled post that disproved myself. Funny how that happens...[/quote]

I'd be interested in reading that. Could you possibly remember the title of the thread or something?

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1632333' date='Aug 19 2008, 10:28 PM']You're right, I wasn't joking. My husband, his mother, his great grandmother, and several of his cousins have/had schizophrenia. One of his cousins committed suicide because of it. My husband has never consciously missed his medicine because he knows how important it is. He's the Canadian poster child for taking your medicine. When he first became ill in 1992 and was psychotic, he thought he was a werewolf, and often uses that as an opening joke when giving speeches about schizophrenia, mental illness and fighting stigma. He just came back from Montreal this morning after giving a speech yesterday at the annual meeting of the Canadian Medical Association.

Over the years I represented over 50 clients who had schizophrenia or another serious mental illness. I didn't go looking for a man who had a mental illness, I just wasn't afraid when he told me he had schizophrenia. When he finally told me, I just said, that's interesting, so what. He thought I didn't understand what the word meant. I'm just able to separate a person from the disease. I find it to be just an interesting part of his personality. In my mind, it is like diabetes. It is a disease of blood chemistry that will require a lifetime of medication, monitoring, and occasionally hospitalization. My being willing to look past his illness allowed me to fall in love with one of the best men I have ever met in my life.[/quote]

NO, I'm sorry.

I knew you wern't jokeing, I was saying like, "She's right, that stuff is no joke"

Working in soupkitchens and, when I was younger, a sketchy supermarket in a bad part of town, I've seen SOOOOO many good people with mental illness fall through the cracks because they didn't have a wonderfull person like yourself to support them and help them through the tough times.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1636541' date='Aug 24 2008, 09:40 AM']Working in soupkitchens and, when I was younger, a sketchy supermarket in a bad part of town, I've seen SOOOOO many good people with mental illness fall through the cracks because they didn't have a wonderfull person like yourself to support them and help them through the tough times.[/quote]

AGREED...these people not only have to fight through their mental illness but also the biases already against them because of such. Human dignity is a huge thing with me....

Ok, I'll get off my soap box.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='picchick' post='1636575' date='Aug 24 2008, 11:37 AM']AGREED...these people not only have to fight through their mental illness but also the biases already against them because of such. Human dignity is a huge thing with me....

Ok, I'll get off my soap box.[/quote]

No, don't get off that soap box. Keep it up. :)

[quote name='picchick' post='1636575' date='Aug 24 2008, 10:37 AM']AGREED...these people not only have to fight through their mental illness but also the biases already against them because of such. Human dignity is a huge thing with me....

Ok, I'll get off my soap box.[/quote]

LF is right. Stay on it. The world need s more annoying activists to pester people into doing the right thing

[quote name='picchick' post='1636575' date='Aug 24 2008, 10:37 AM']AGREED...these people not only have to fight through their mental illness but also the biases already against them because of such. Human dignity is a huge thing with me....[/quote]

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1636212' date='Aug 24 2008, 12:06 AM']Lol, those religious and political views areas leave so much to interpretation. :D
Any suggestions? :D[/quote]
Mine says, "I believe in the sanctity of life as well as the aid of the poor, which makes me a political misfit."

MakeYouThink

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1637073' date='Aug 24 2008, 08:28 PM']Mine says, "I believe in the sanctity of life as well as the aid of the poor, which makes me a political misfit."[/quote]

Mine says, treat all life as sacred, keep the government accountable, make sure corporations are more heavily policed, because they are the worst (Watch Erin Brockovich - that happened in the USA!), and give opportunities for people to explore their goals!

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1636166' date='Aug 23 2008, 11:47 PM']So would a vial of Holy Water be roughly parallel with a grenade?
Ooh, and the scapular is like our walkie talkies. Or bulleproof vests. Or both.[/quote]

:yes: :shield:

^_^

MakeYouThink

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1637120' date='Aug 24 2008, 08:58 PM']:yes: :shield:

^_^[/quote]

My weapons are not material, but mighty in God through the spirit to the pulling down of strongholds.

Nothing I could have or do could compares to God, so I ask him to fight for me!

Edited by MakeYouThink

Vincent Vega

[quote name='MakeYouThink' post='1637123' date='Aug 24 2008, 09:00 PM']My weapons are not material, but mighty in God through the spirit to the pulling down of strongholds.

Nothing I could have or do could compares to God, so I ask him to fight for me![/quote]
Holy water is just condensed prayer. :)