An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sacramentines

TotusTuusMaria

TotusTuusMaria

Can anyone give me some more information on the Sacramentines? I heard they have a cloistered monastery/convent in New York.

Laudem Gloriae

Are these sisters the ones you are looking for?

[url="http://macc.catholic.org/sacramentine/sacramentine.html"]http://macc.catholic.org/sacramentine/sacramentine.html[/url]

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Laudem Gloriae' post='1630770' date='Aug 18 2008, 05:13 PM']Are these sisters the ones you are looking for?

[url="http://macc.catholic.org/sacramentine/sacramentine.html"]http://macc.catholic.org/sacramentine/sacramentine.html[/url][/quote]

Yep, I think so! :)

Thank you! Thank you!

They were originally based in a huge monastery in Yonkers, one of the first in the Archdioces of NY- I passed several times visiting friends. In the early 70's they were among the first to modify habits and eliminate the grille. One of the sister supposedly cut it down herself with an electric saw. They are enclosed for the most, but participate in the local contemplative community council. As time changed they found it hard to maintain the facility due to the run down neighborhood, aging community, and not a lot of vocations. They sold that proerty and moved to Scarsdale. I don't know if they are receiving many inquiriies or postulants. Their focus is perpetual adoration. I have never heard a bad word about them.. One older friend I formerly taught with visited and was impressed by them when they were in Yonkers. They are worth investigating.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Antoniette' post='1632537' date='Aug 20 2008, 10:07 AM']They were originally based in a huge monastery in Yonkers, one of the first in the Archdioces of NY- I passed several times visiting friends. In the early 70's they were among the first to modify habits and eliminate the grille. One of the sister supposedly cut it down herself with an electric saw. They are enclosed for the most, but participate in the local contemplative community council. As time changed they found it hard to maintain the facility due to the run down neighborhood, aging community, and not a lot of vocations. They sold that proerty and moved to Scarsdale. I don't know if they are receiving many inquiriies or postulants. Their focus is perpetual adoration. I have never heard a bad word about them.. One older friend I formerly taught with visited and was impressed by them when they were in Yonkers. They are worth investigating.[/quote]

Thanks, Antoniette!

I actually was asking because a friend of mine mentioned writing to them to inquire. She is much older and hopes to retire. Apparently she told me she visited them on a retreat with a friend who was discerning with them and found them to be so, so nice. I hope she doesn't retire as we desperately need her working in our parish, but if she does then I was interested in finding out a bit more about them in case she does join there.

+JMJ+
They look holy to me, but I think their habits should be a little longer. Also, I believe they should wear a wimple. Why aren't so many nuns wearing them any longer? What is happening? The neck can be a very seductive part of a woman's body and in holiness, it should be covered up! All parts of a nun's body is sacred because she is consecrated to the LORD, so other than the necessary part of seeing her face and hands, it should be COVERED!
I know I am called to be an Ordered Priest, so I will get a Holy Habit, which I plan on wearing every day of my life.
Pax et Bonum,
Beatus

[quote name='Beatus' post='1633700' date='Aug 21 2008, 03:10 PM']+JMJ+
They look holy to me, but I think their habits should be a little longer. Also, I believe they should wear a wimple. Why aren't so many nuns wearing them any longer? What is happening? The neck can be a very seductive part of a woman's body and in holiness, it should be covered up! All parts of a nun's body is sacred because she is consecrated to the LORD, so other than the necessary part of seeing her face and hands, it should be COVERED!
I know I am called to be an Ordered Priest, so I will get a Holy Habit, which I plan on wearing every day of my life.
Pax et Bonum,
Beatus[/quote]

Beatus,

I know you're young, but please, wake up! And in all charity, I think you need to listen to what some mature people have said to you: You need to go see a counselor immediately.

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

This message, in all charity, should have been sent to him privately. He already announced that he is seeing a counselor. Give him a break.

TradMom

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Beatus' post='1633700' date='Aug 21 2008, 03:10 PM']+JMJ+
Pax et Bonum,
Beatus[/quote]

Many nuns do wear wimples, but a good number choose not to too and are allowed this. We all have our preferences on religious habit... and we are all entitled to this opinion. You know though... Whenever Our Lady appears (Fatima, Lourdes, etc) she does not have her neck covered, and she is consecrated in a grander way then all to our Lord, so it must not be too immodest. We know our Lady would never leave something that can be so seductive uncovered, yet her neck goes uncovered.

I appreciate the religious wimple too, however the wimple doesn't make the nun or sister, and like you said, despite that these sisters might not wear a wimple, they appear (and from what I have heard are) very good.

St. Gemma Galgani did not cover her neck, and her holy director Ven. Father Germanus never found it immodest of her. Rather, he commented on her great modesty in dress. I am sure there were other saints too, however Gemma has always stood out to me as a saint of great, great purity.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1633939' date='Aug 22 2008, 03:19 AM']Many nuns do wear wimples, but a good number choose not to too and are allowed this. We all have our preferences on religious habit... and we are all entitled to this opinion. You know though... Whenever Our Lady appears (Fatima, Lourdes, etc) she does not have her neck covered, and she is consecrated in a grander way then all to our Lord, so it must not be too immodest. We know our Lady would never leave something that can be so seductive uncovered, yet her neck goes uncovered.[/quote]

Insightful! I never thought of that!

:smokey: Only a man would think like that. Nothing imodest about a woman's neck.Now if they were showing cleaveage,well that's different.
It all depends on the community in regards to wearing wimples.
My late cousin,Sister John Edna belonged to the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth,Ky.
They never wore a wimple .They used to wear a bonnet on their head,I think Blessings Nun Dolls has a doll dressed as a sister of the order. Several other charity communities like the Canosian Sisters of Charity from Italy, and some of the US Sisters of Charity communities, offshoots of St.Elizabeth Ann Seaton's community also wore bonnets.

servus Mariae

[quote name='Beatus' post='1633700' date='Aug 21 2008, 02:10 PM']+JMJ+
Pax et Bonum,
Beatus[/quote]

Praise God!! I think cassocks/priestly attire ROCKS and all priests should wear their Holy Habits everyday! May you not only become a priest, but a Holy and Humble one as well!

God love you!

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='servus Mariae' post='1634594' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:35 PM']Praise God!! I think cassocks/priestly attire ROCKS and all priests should wear their Holy Habits everyday! May you not only become a priest, but a Holy and Humble one as well!

God love you![/quote]

I agree about the cassock. I think it is so cool. Our priest told us that in Rome it is illegal to be a priest and not wear the cassock. :shock:

And I agree, prayers for you and your vocation Beatus. :sign: