An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters Of Alma

TotusTuusMaria

TotusTuusMaria

The Religious Sisters of Alma are going to be on LOTR August 21

[b]Religious Sisters of Alma
Service of Mercy[/b]

These Sisters don't live too far from me. I wonder why I've never visited them :think: . They look pretty neat.

Hmm..they wear their veils kind of low. I wonder how they stay on!?

the lords sheep

I think they are getting (if I am correct) 8 new postulants this year on Sept. 8. They also had a number of Sisters profess (either first, renewals, or final) on the 15th.
They have a really incredible charism. Not at all the silence of the Dominicans, but still very deeply routed in prayer and love of God. Their contemplation is to be fuel for their service and their very active lifestyle. Their lifestyle reminds me of what St. Vincent de Paul used to tell his priests "You will leave Christ in the chapel to go meet Him at the door." Great Sisters. I highly recommend them!

In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren

They have one of the toughest formation programs I know of - but the work is well worth it. The sisters are AWESOME. I have never met a more inspiring, zeal-filled, on fire with the Holy Spirit, filled with charity, non-gossipping group of sisters. The cross they wear on their habit has no corpus. I asked one of the sisters about it - as I thought it rather odd for Catholic sisters to wear a plain cross - and her answer was, "We are taught that WE are to be Christ on the cross." It's true. They are. Because of their sincerity, God blesses them with abundant vocations. They take on some of the toughest work in the church, and do it all with grace and love. God bless them!

srmarymichael

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1626550' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:54 PM']The Religious Sisters of Alma are going to be on LOTR August 21

[b]Religious Sisters of Alma
Service of Mercy[/b][/quote]

I know these Sisters from our CMSWR trips to World Youth Day -- they are great!

Just wondered if anyone saw the show and wanted to comment?? I was truly impressed with what they had to say about their charism and life together.

I couldn't watch the show. Is there a link to a podcast of it or something? I tried to navigate the EWTN website, but there are only so many hours in a day... :saint:

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='FSM Sister' post='1638394' date='Aug 26 2008, 12:59 AM']I couldn't watch the show. Is there a link to a podcast of it or something? I tried to navigate the EWTN website, but there are only so many hours in a day... :saint:[/quote]

[url="http://ewtn.com/audiovideo/"]http://ewtn.com/audiovideo/[/url]

Go down to the very bottom where it says Archived Videos.

On the left click on Life on Rock. That will be the episode with the Sisters of Alma... or at least until Thursday. :)

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='stlmom' post='1637899' date='Aug 25 2008, 05:29 PM']Just wondered if anyone saw the show and wanted to comment?? I was truly impressed with what they had to say about their charism and life together.[/quote]

Yes! Me too.

I think they have a very unique vocation. It is neat how they take a fourth vow. Also neat how they live in the little houses.

They seem very intelligent.

Doug Berry is funny. :topsy:

the lords sheep

There are a couple ways to see it. You can download from the EWTN site until this Thursday [url="http://ewtn.edgeboss.net/wmedia/ewtn/multicast/video/windowsmedia/lotr_300k.wvx"]click here[/url] (you must have windows media player to watch it.) And if you just want to listen to it, you can [url="http://ewtn.edgeboss.net/wmedia/ewtn/multicast/video/windowsmedia/lotr.wma"]click here[/url] After thursday, it will be available in the archived audio section to listen to, not to watch.

That said, I watched it, and I loved it. I love these Sisters. They are a renewal, and have only technically existed for 35 years or so, but I am so deeply struck by the fact that they really know who they are as a community. They know how they were founded to be, they've discerned their place in the Church, and they don't try to pretend to be anything they're not. They are really down to earth and very pragmatic, yet they love generously and are working for holiness.
They're really great! Check them out!!

In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren