An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It A Sin To Read The Golden Compass Books?

Margarite

Nihil Obstat

Speaking of the Da Vinci Code, by the way, I was SO BORED watching the movie. I've heard the book was entertaining... although I also heard it was awful, but in any case, the movie literally put me to sleep.

Off topic though.

Reading the Golden Compass, I think I would recommend, as a general rule, to read some Catechism as breaks. Just a little bit... and then keep in mind everything you can find wrong with GC.
It shouldn't be hard. Phillip Pullman's atheism isn't that solid.

I read the series before I was called to God so I never picked up on anything anti-Catholic. I didn't know what the magesterium was. I thought they were against organized religion, but was not offended by anything. I thought they were very well written, imaginative and I loved reading them. I have thought I should go back and reread them now that I am Catholic and see what I think.
I read so many different genre of books then that none of it stayed with me for very long, regardless of the intent of the author.

DaVinci code I found so boring. I wasn't religious when I read that either, it was just boring.

I can't believe it would be a sin to read the books. Turn the terminology that is directed at the Church into something else in your mind and go.

Nihil Obstat

Speaking of that 'banned books list' someone mentioned, I think it's a bit of a misconception. I believe that there is some sort of list of books that 'aren't recommended', or something along those lines, but I don't think they 'ban' things.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Deb' post='1630598' date='Aug 18 2008, 01:22 PM']Agreed. The Church does not ban books.[/quote]
Am I right in thinking that there is some kind of 'watch list' though? Maybe it's in relation to schools... I remember that some schools pulled the Golden Compass for a while. Oddly enough they hadn't even noticed it up until the movie came out. ;)
In my grade eight book club (at a Catholic school no less) we read this book and discussed it. Did we even mention the anti-Catholic overtones? No. That was dangerous. It's very lucky that I figured it out on my own.