An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It A Sin To Read The Golden Compass Books?

Margarite

Ok, this it actually Margarite's daughter (little_phoenix i just forgot my password) anyway...

I'm reading The Golden Compass right now, but i have a friends who is mad at me for doing so. My parants know that i am reading it. I've read two of the threads here, but it seems that no one has read the books themselves.

So my question is...

1. Is it a sin to read the books?

2. Does the Catholic Church have a list of banned books?

3. Is this book series banned by the Church?

I appreciate my friend very much, I would like to know if I should stop reading it or if my friend is overreacting?

I would think it's okay as long as you have a good strong hold on your faith and know that what you are reading is fiction.

I often make it a point to read things like the Golden Compass or Da Vinci Code, because as a catechist, I get asked about the book de jour every RCIA go around. You can't deal with people's misunderstandings if you don't know what the enemies of orthodoxy are saying.

Farsight one

Well...I wouldn't read them, but that's because I think they're unimaginative and poorly written. As long as you understand that they're truly fiction and don't start associating the Church with the evil organization in the books, you should be fine.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1626465' date='Aug 13 2008, 10:14 PM']I often make it a point to read things like the Golden Compass or Da Vinci Code, because as a catechist, I get asked about the book de jour every RCIA go around. You can't deal with people's misunderstandings if you don't know what the enemies of orthodoxy are saying.[/quote]
That is a very true statement that I wish more people would listen to - especially anti-Catholics. I hate this popular attitude of "I don't have to know what you believe to know it's wrong". Reminds me of the "plethora scene" from The Three Amigos (if you've seen that movie)...which has just inspired a new blog entry... joy!

Edited by Farsight one

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1626477' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:28 PM']Well...I wouldn't read them, but that's because I think they're unimaginative and poorly written. As long as you understand that they're truly fiction and don't start associating the Church with the evil organization in the books, you should be fine.[/quote]

Huh. I thought they were very well-written. (Not the Divinci Code-- that was horribly written).

Read them if you'd like or if you're inclined. But keep a grasp on your faith. You're fine.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1626465' date='Aug 13 2008, 10:14 PM']I often make it a point to read things like the Golden Compass or Da Vinci Code, because as a catechist, I get asked about the book de jour every RCIA go around. You can't deal with people's misunderstandings if you don't know what the enemies of orthodoxy are saying.[/quote]
Good point.

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1626477' date='Aug 13 2008, 10:28 PM']Well...I wouldn't read them, but that's because I think they're unimaginative and poorly written. As long as you understand that they're truly fiction and don't start associating the Church with the evil organization in the books, you should be fine.[/quote]
How can you think they're unimaginative and poorly-written if you never read them? :unsure:

Farsight one

[quote name='rachael' post='1626543' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:53 PM']How can you think they're unimaginative and poorly-written if you never read them? :unsure:[/quote]Haha. Wow. It seems that I got a little over zealous. I don't know what I was thinking. You're right - I can't know that they're poorly written. :wacko:

I've seen the movie 'Golden Compass' and saw some allusions that one can consider anti-catholic, but is this a work specifically and intently aimed at being anti-catholic?

Someone give me the low-down on this thing. My kids watched the movie and all.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Didacus' post='1626664' date='Aug 14 2008, 07:10 AM']I've seen the movie 'Golden Compass' and saw some allusions that one can consider anti-catholic, but is this a work specifically and intently aimed at being anti-catholic?

Someone give me the low-down on this thing. My kids watched the movie and all.[/quote]
yes.

[url="http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp"]http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp[/url]

It's sad. I actually love science fiction and fantasy a whole lot, but my word, some of the things that are quoted from the book in that article.

That's why I stick with Madeleine L'engle! She incorperates the Church (or at least Christianity) into her books in a positive way :popcorn:

Madame Vengier

Well, the author hated the Catholic Church and Christianity in general, so that tells me what I need to know.

I used to like the books when I was younger, but when I reread them, I was shocked at how anti-Catholic it was. I didn't see the movies in theaters, but I saw it a few weeks ago. They definitely toned down the anti-Catholicism, but there were a few negative things about the Magisterium. I didn't think the movie was that good, and from what I heard, it flopped in theaters.