An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Are American's So Arrogant

KOIfriend

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1623087' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:23 PM']Part of that may stem from a CBC show a few years ago that interviewed Americans about Canada. It showed Americans believing that parts of Canada lack electricity and running water.[/quote]

It was about 13 years ago that we had that conversation. But still.

Many Americans ARE shamefully clueless of other countries. You wouldn't believe how many negative responses I got from people last summer when I mentioned I was going to Korea for vacation. What amazed me even more than the cluelessness was that all the comments--from totally different, un-related people--were essentially the same:

1: "Why would you go there?" (To work in the rice patties?)
2: "Oh really? North or South?" (Tell me, WHO GOES TO N. KOREA FOR VACATION???)
3: "Oh." (followed by awkward silence as "Oh" person clearly doesn't know what to say)
4: "What's there to do in Korea?" (Nothing. I'm spending upwards of $4,000 to go do...nothing for 2 weeks.)
5: "You can pick anywhere in the world to go, why would you pick Korea?" (Because the Italian countryside doesn't have any rice patties.)
6: "What kind of food do they eat?" (Worms.)
7: "Do they cook their food? Because I heard they eat a lot of raw stuff." (Raw worms.)

These are actual REAL questions/comments. It's just really, really sad. I think the ones that made me the most angry were 1 and 4. But I was asked number 2 the most. Really. I was repeatedly asked if I was going to NORTH or South Korea.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1623041' date='Aug 9 2008, 08:21 PM']This is touchy b/c you are Canadian but I can tell you from traveling to (and at one point, living in) a handful of foreign countries in Europe and Asia, foreigners are NOT thinking about Canada. I'm sorry. They are listening to American music, watching American TV shows and Hollywood movies, they know all the American celebrities and politicians and models, and American fashions. Actually, Europe is tied with America in terms of fashion. But Canada? Nope, sorry.

I have no doubt that Canada is a great country with great people. I know it is. Many Americans travel there for holiday. I have heard that Toronto is one of the coolest cities in the world. And there's Quebec. And Ontario. And Niagra. But the fact that Canada isn't registering in the brain waves of the global community, there's no one to blame for that but CANADA.

I do love Atom Egoyan, though. Seen a number of his movies.[/quote]
Haha, touchy? Of course not. :D
I'm glad to hear this, because I need as many reasons as I can get if I'm going to get myself away from this anti-America cr[i][/i]ap all around.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1622986' date='Aug 9 2008, 06:53 PM']It is really sad. But it has not been my experience that this is the majority opinion.[/quote]
I have to disagree with you here, at least from people my age.
You walk into my school, or any other school around me, and ask random people... maybe out of a hundred you'll find 5-10 who will admit to not having a problem with Bush/America, anything. Adults, maybe. I hope so, but I just don't know. A lot of politicians (mostly the opposition) are openly anti-American when they accuse Harper of being a Bush puppet, and the media is often no better.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1623096' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:31 PM']I don't know if you have ever seen the show Corner Gas, but somehow I picture nearly every Canadien town to be like Dog River. :)[/quote]
Just every town in Saskatchewan (minus Saskatoon and maybe Regina), or so my parents tell me.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1623087' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:23 PM']Part of that may stem from a CBC show a few years ago that interviewed Americans about Canada. It showed Americans believing that parts of Canada lack electricity and running water.[/quote]
I wonder how biased it might have been though?
I mean... I nearly refuse to believe that the general public is that clueless. I hope I'm not wrong, because really, that would be bad. If the general common knowledge was that we all lived in igloos and ate polar bears, then there are waaaaay bigger problems around then the high price of gas and whether or not Americans are arrogant.
I really hope that CBC just quoted those people out of context, or were highly selective in what responses they included... I really really hope so.

MissScripture

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1623131' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:53 PM']Just every town in Saskatchewan (minus Saskatoon and maybe Regina), or so my parents tell me.[/quote]
I just have to say that Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is the BEST name of any place, EVER! I LOVE the name. Never been there, but love the name!

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1623139' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:56 PM']I just have to say that Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is the BEST name of any place, EVER! I LOVE the name. Never been there, but love the name![/quote]
I always thought it was a silly name for a city. :)

Do you guys down South ever hear about all the Regina jokes? They're pretty uninventive, but generally it's all about people who, as kids, got it mixed up with a certain word that rhymes with it.
Regina is the capital city of Saskatchewan, just in case anyone doesn't know. :)

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1623139' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:56 PM']I just have to say that Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is the BEST name of any place, EVER! I LOVE the name. Never been there, but love the name![/quote]
I love Yak. I think it's in BC, but it may be just across the border into Idaho.

MissScripture

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1623144' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:59 PM']I always thought it was a silly name for a city. :)

Do you guys down South ever hear about all the Regina jokes? They're pretty uninventive, but generally it's all about people who, as kids, got it mixed up with a certain word that rhymes with it.
Regina is the capital city of Saskatchewan, just in case anyone doesn't know. :)[/quote]
I've never heard jokes about it, but I always thought it was a little dangerous to name a city that. I think the main thing is, a lot of people don't know how it's supposed to be pronounced, so they can't/wouldn't understand any jokes made about it.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1623147' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:00 PM']I love Yak. I think it's in BC, but it may be just across the border into Idaho.[/quote]
I also like Kiester, MN.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1623137' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:55 PM']I wonder how biased it might have been though?
I mean... I nearly refuse to believe that the general public is that clueless. I hope I'm not wrong, because really, that would be bad. If the general common knowledge was that we all lived in igloos and ate polar bears, then there are waaaaay bigger problems around then the high price of gas and whether or not Americans are arrogant.
I really hope that CBC just quoted those people out of context, or were highly selective in what responses they included... I really really hope so.[/quote]

It was a bit like Jay Leno's Jaywalking bit where they ask a bunch of people questions and show the dumbest. The American's that they showed were total idiots. It was really funny but it did feed a misconception about Americans.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1623157' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:06 PM']It was a bit like Jay Leno's Jaywalking bit where they ask a bunch of people questions and show the dumbest. The American's that they showed were total idiots. It was really funny but it did feed a misconception about Americans.[/quote]
I'll bet a lot of them were joking too.
"What do you think about houses in Canada?"
"What, don't they all live in igloos?
...hahaha, kidding. What do you mean, what do you think about houses in Canada?"

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1623155' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:05 PM']I also like Kiester, MN.[/quote]
Haha, that's a good one. :D
How about Moose Jaw? That one's always bothered me. I think it's dumb. :D People think I'm just being silly when I say I can't stand that name.

MissScripture

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1623171' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:14 PM']Haha, that's a good one. :D
How about Moose Jaw? That one's always bothered me. I think it's dumb. :D People think I'm just being silly when I say I can't stand that name.[/quote]
There was/is someone at my school from Moose Jaw. I think it's just odd...