An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Are American's So Arrogant

KOIfriend

lilac_angel

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1622967' date='Aug 9 2008, 06:09 PM']That isn't confined to Canada. In fact, I do know some people who would've liked to move to Canada because they disliked Bush so much.[/quote]

:yes:

Many Americans are quite the opposite about America... i.e. ashamed, not arrogant.

Some are like me, who see the good and the bad about our country. I personally have an interest in spreading my faith rather than any kind of "country pride."

But the loudest people, like the talk show hosts, are of course always heard by the most people. So if the loudest people also turn out to be arrogant... I'm sure that doesn't make every other American look good.

Edited by lilac_angel

I don't see it as citizen's of the US being arrogant so much as Canadians suffering from a national inferiority complex.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1622973' date='Aug 9 2008, 06:22 PM']I don't see it as citizen's of the US being arrogant so much as Canadians suffering from a national inferiority complex.[/quote]
Like I said before, I think in the previous generation that was exactly it... but that generation has sorta brainwashed my generation to believe it's all true.
All this, of course, would be speaking generally. I don't know how many of us are like this... too many though, in any case.

lilac_angel

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1622975' date='Aug 9 2008, 06:25 PM']Like I said before, I think in the previous generation that was exactly it... but that generation has sorta brainwashed my generation to believe it's all true.
All this, of course, would be speaking generally. I don't know how many of us are like this... too many though, in any case.[/quote]

I know me a few Canadians and none have exhibited symptoms of inferiority complex to me.. if anything, they were just genuinely critical and snarky about our system...felt like a superiority complex to me.. *shrugs* much like my friend from the UK. It wasn't a very outward thing, but it comes out every so often.

I remember hearing a joke from maybe the early 90s (or earlier?) on TV about Canada but never hear jokes about it anymore...maybe I'm just out of the loop. Because the original poster mentioned us cracking jokes about Canada being retarded or something...

Edited by lilac_angel

I spend a fair amount of time in Canada since over half my family is there. I have seen a bit of anti-Americanism up there. Take the MP from Ontario who thinks that we are are all "illegitimate children"(this is a clean version of the real wording). It is really sad. But it has not been my experience that this is the majority opinion.

As to Canadian jokes, I do occasionally hear them usually aimed at the Maritimes.

MissScripture

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1622978' date='Aug 9 2008, 06:28 PM']I know me a few Canadians and none have exhibited symptoms of inferiority complex to me.. if anything, they were just genuinely critical and snarky about our system...felt like a superiority complex to me.. *shrugs* much like my friend from the UK. It wasn't a very outward thing, but it comes out every so often.

I remember hearing a joke from maybe the early 90s (or earlier?) on TV about Canada but never hear jokes about it anymore...maybe I'm just out of the loop. Because the original poster mentioned us cracking jokes about Canada being retarded or something...[/quote]
The only Canadian jokes I've really ever heard are making fun of them using "Eh," and since I've had plenty of people make jokes about the way I talk (I'm Minnesotan), I don't really see it as cruel or mean. It just makes me prouder of the way I speak. Plus, most people from other places can't imitate it properly.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1622990' date='Aug 9 2008, 06:56 PM']The only Canadian jokes I've really ever heard are making fun of them using "Eh," and since I've had plenty of people make jokes about the way I talk (I'm Minnesotan), I don't really see it as cruel or mean. It just makes me prouder of the way I speak. Plus, most people from other places can't imitate it properly.[/quote]

True, we Pittsburghers make fun of our own accent.

MissScripture

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1622998' date='Aug 9 2008, 07:12 PM']Minnesota has no accent. :mellow:[/quote]
Well, I would agree, but other people would beg to differ. Roamin tries to mock the "long O's" when he drags them out longer than ANY Minnesotan I've ever heard. And have you ever heard a Montanan try to say "you betcha?" It's HILARIOUS! They just can't make it flow!

Madame Vengier

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1622998' date='Aug 9 2008, 07:12 PM']Minnesota has no accent. :mellow:[/quote]

Is that a joke??? :detective:

Madame Vengier

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1623012' date='Aug 9 2008, 07:28 PM']Well, I would agree, but other people would beg to differ. Roamin tries to mock the "long O's" when he drags them out longer than ANY Minnesotan I've ever heard. And have you ever heard a Montanan try to say "you betcha?" It's HILARIOUS! They just can't make it flow![/quote]

Pssssssst. I replied to your PM. Did you get it?

Homeschool Mommy, I replied yours, too.

*tiptoes out backwards*

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1622993' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:05 PM']True, we Pittsburghers make fun of our own accent.[/quote]

too true :D

Catch yinz later!! GO STILLERS!

We rule :D

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1622972' date='Aug 9 2008, 08:22 PM']:yes:

Many Americans are quite the opposite about America... i.e. ashamed, not arrogant.

Some are like me, who see the good and the bad about our country. I personally have an interest in spreading my faith rather than any kind of "country pride."

But the loudest people, like the talk show hosts, are of course always heard by the most people. So if the loudest people also turn out to be arrogant... I'm sure that doesn't make every other American look good.[/quote]

Indeed. I know quite a few people who [b]hate being Americans[/b], and tend to travel overseas even as Canadians. Or rather wear maple leaf shirts and such.

The talk show hosts do make us all look bad, and arrogant to the extreme. Like Ann "Invade them all and convert them to Christianity or kill them" Coulter or Rush "The liberals would like you to think" Limbaugh.

Nihil, 90% of Canadians I've talked to probably have no problems with Americans. The 10% or so who do...wow they're so very vocal about their beliefs. I once sat through a five hour lecture by one on how my nation is evil and every war crime we've ever committed. (So not being very Christ-like then, I responded with every criminal action ever taken by the Canadian government I could think of.)

Selah, go Flyers <.< Sorry couldn't resist...Missy and I once had this big thing on who was better, the Penguins or the Flyers because we respectively live closer to Philly or Pittsburgh. Go Penguins!

Edited by BG45

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1622986' date='Aug 9 2008, 06:53 PM']I spend a fair amount of time in Canada since over half my family is there. I have seen a bit of anti-Americanism up there. Take the MP from Ontario who thinks that we are are all "illegitimate children"(this is a clean version of the real wording). It is really sad. But it has not been my experience that this is the majority opinion.

As to Canadian jokes, I do occasionally hear them usually aimed at the Maritimes.[/quote]

A Canadian got mad at me once because I didn't realize Canada is part of the British whatever. She was like, "We have the Queen on our currency. Didn't you notice?" All PO'd and whatnot. I was like, "I've never seen your currency". She was so offended that I didn't know something that was actually very basic Canada 101 type info. But I didn't KNOW. That is what makes them bitter at us. That we are so disinterested in them. It's like another poster said earlier, it's being ignored altogether (rather than being disliked for a reason) that makes them really angry. Oh, I just remembered something else a Canadian got mad at me for. I asked if they had proms in Canada. She was all MAD and said, "Yeah, we do. And guess what else? We have running water and electricity, too." Ahhhhhhh, I remember this so well now! Her unnecessary sarcasm and anger at an innocent question really shocked me. So mad that Americans know nothing about them.

[quote name='Selah' post='1623026' date='Aug 9 2008, 07:51 PM']too true :D

Catch yinz later!! GO STILLERS!

We rule :D[/quote]

YEAH we do!! Cooool I didn't know you were one of "us" too.

I love gumbands.

GO PENZ.