An Old School Catholic Message Board

Affirmative Action

Nihil Obstat

Affirmative Action  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

Ok, I've heard about this whole affirmative action idea, and I have to admit that I don't understand all aspects of the issue well enough to know if it's good or bad.
I'd love to hear the opinions of everyone else.

TeresaBenedicta

Personally, I see it as another form of backwards discrimination based off of race.

Each and every person should be looked at individually.

Madame Vengier

It's racist. Period. There may have been a small window in time when it was justified but the fact that 40 years later it is STILL in effect is shameful.

I have to agree with Madame. There was a time where it was necessary to equal things up, but that time has passed.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Divided' post='1621311' date='Aug 8 2008, 10:50 AM']Could someone explain to me what it is?[/quote]

[url="http://www.infoplease.com/spot/affirmative1.html"]http://www.infoplease.com/spot/affirmative1.html[/url]

It was put into effect in 1961 by President John Kennedy as a first step in civil rights. It was meant to level the playing field after the laws did away with segregation. It is basically allowing a person to have access to education and jobs (and other things) on the basis of their race. So is a white person and a black person both apply for a job in a place that already has a majority of whites, the black person will get the job solely becuase he/she is black and a minority. The problem is this person may not be as qualified or appropriate for the job as the white person applying. But this doesn't matter. Under AA the black applicant has a RIGHT to first dibs on the job because he/she is a minority. This is called RACISM. But at the time Black Americans had been treated with such injustices that something had to be done to help them get equal rights in work and education. That's what affirmative action was for. But 47 years later it's STILL HERE. It should have lasted for 5 years. Then the laws against segregation would have been fully in effect and everyone would be expected to abide by them or go to jail.

dairygirl4u2c

my view is that i'm generally against affirmative action. i don't like reverse discrimination.

with that said, if there's a pattern of racism in a given area, then it can fly, as i believe o'conner said. racism in a particular situation can be hard to prove, but affirmative action would be beneficial if generally it's occuring. it's better to have a presumption against reverse discrimiantion.... given that reverse discrimination isn't as much ofa problem anymore.... and so more justice will be done more often than not with that presumption.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1621524' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:18 PM'][url="http://www.infoplease.com/spot/affirmative1.html"]http://www.infoplease.com/spot/affirmative1.html[/url]

It was put into effect in 1961 by President John Kennedy as a first step in civil rights. It was meant to level the playing field after the laws did away with segregation. It is basically allowing a person to have access to education and jobs (and other things) on the basis of their race. So is a white person and a black person both apply for a job in a place that already has a majority of whites, the black person will get the job solely becuase he/she is black and a minority. The problem is this person may not be as qualified or appropriate for the job as the white person applying. But this doesn't matter. Under AA the black applicant has a RIGHT to first dibs on the job because he/she is a minority. This is called RACISM. But at the time Black Americans had been treated with such injustices that something had to be done to help them get equal rights in work and education. That's what affirmative action was for. But 47 years later it's STILL HERE. It should have lasted for 5 years. Then the laws against segregation would have been fully in effect and everyone would be expected to abide by them or go to jail.[/quote]

Gotcha, thanks. :)
So, as it stands now, Affirmative action is still in effect. Is there anyone working to put an end to it?

dairygirl4u2c

i'd be careful about saying it's still in effect. true, but can be misleading.
the court is as much opposed to it generally as the public is opposed to it generally.

they took a nuanced view of it, not either or. i think oconner basically wrote the opinion,,, which is essentially the opinion that i gave in the last post.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1621791' date='Aug 8 2008, 03:19 PM']i'd be careful about saying it's still in effect. true, but can be misleading.
the court is as much opposed to it generally as the public is opposed to it generally.

they took a nuanced view of it, not either or. i think oconner basically wrote the opinion,,, which is essentially the opinion that i gave in the last post.[/quote]

Just trying to understand-
So if the public and govt are both generally opposed to it, who is for it? And how is it in "effect" if it's really not in effect?

A friend of mine who works in the HR department of a large company in the US told me that the biggest change is that race is no longer allowed on application forms. She said it didn't really matter anyway. Her boss routinely throws away resumes from Latishas and Kwame's, and puts Jacob, Michael, Alice and Mary at the top of the call back pile.

dairygirl4u2c

generally opposed to it means... it usually can't be done.
there has to be a proof of a pattern of racism.
i might be missing something though... i seem to recall that qualitative points can be given to college kids in the minority when everything else is the same.
but anyways,,, it's generally not in effect, for the reasons i pretty much like i said in my last post.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1621137' date='Aug 8 2008, 12:00 AM']Personally, I see it as another form of backwards discrimination based off of race.

Each and every person should be looked at individually.[/quote]

iawtc

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1621828' date='Aug 8 2008, 03:42 PM']A friend of mine who works in the HR department of a large company in the US told me that the biggest change is that race is no longer allowed on application forms. She said it didn't really matter anyway. Her boss routinely throws away resumes from Latishas and Kwame's, and puts Jacob, Michael, Alice and Mary at the top of the call back pile.[/quote]

Hey, hey! Now that he's out of jail, Kwame's going to need a job after he leaves office, just like everyone else! That's just not fair to throw away his resume!

Madame Vengier

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1621775' date='Aug 8 2008, 03:13 PM']my view is that i'm generally against affirmative action. i don't like reverse discrimination.[/quote]

There is no such thing as "reverse discrimination" and people should stop using this appalling term. This is a false term that was invented to refer to black racism against white people. But by using this phrase it's like saying that only blacks are discriminated AGAINST, as if this is an injustice that is uniquely theirs. As if the very words "racism" or "discrimination" are meant solely for them. There is no such thing as "reverse" discrimination. There is only [i]discrimination[/i], period. It begs the question, The reverse of [u]what[/u]?

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Divided' post='1621778' date='Aug 8 2008, 03:13 PM']Gotcha, thanks. :)
So, as it stands now, Affirmative action is still in effect. Is there anyone working to put an end to it?[/quote]

Oh, absolutely. Has been for years. And every time someone tries it they are called racist and bigot. There are black Americans who want an end to it as well, and they are called Uncle Tom and accused of being still slaves to the whim of the white man, and called "house n****r". It's disgusting to watch what happens when someone comes against affirmative action.

It is believed by a lot of people that two of the main reasons that the liberals and the black Americans went for Clarence Thomas' throat when he was nominated to the Supreme Court were because 1: he is pro-life and 2: he wants an end to affirmative action. Most supporters of CT never believed the attacks on him were about his supposed sexual harrasment of Anita Hill. It was to discredit, defame and ruin him so he couldn't take his conservative Christian ideas to the Court.

Edited by Madame Vengier