An Old School Catholic Message Board

Happy Feast Of St. Dominic!

VeniteAdoremus

Maria Faustina

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1620636' date='Aug 7 2008, 07:18 PM']HAPPY DAY TO ALL!!!! ST. DOMINIC, ORA PRO NOBIS!!!!!!!!!

let's PARTAY!!!!! :clap: :yahoo:

Dta, you and I think alike!!! B&W is my color for this day too. But nothing beats what I used to wear:

[img]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh165/hamburgerpatty_2008/meinmyhabit.jpg[/img]

me in 2005...[/quote]

You look sooo beautiful!!!! Happy St. Dominic Day everyone! Spiritual party time! lol

Thomist-in-Training

I'm so stupid! I didn't remember it was today, because I thought it was on the 4 or so, because I've been using a Lives of the Sts from 1950 or something, which has different days... Even though I saw this post last night, I didn't realize this morning when I headed to Mass at the Priory why they I could smell incense and everything, until I got inside. They sang the Mass parts, too. It was a right treat.

[i] Buona festa[/i]!

dominicansoul

Thank you all! Hopefully, God willing, I will wear the precious habit once again....

HAPPY FEAST!

I have to work all day, but I placed my favorite pic of St. Dominic on my computer desktop here at work and I'll go to Mass at lunch time.

I am thinking and praying for all of you, and for all my beautiful friends who have given their total selves to bring light to the darkness of our world...(those beautiful Dominicans in the monasteries, convents, priories....those cloistered and on the "front lines...")

God bless all of you!

Pray for me! (I need it!)

Happy Feast day to all Dominicans, nearly-Dominicans, and anyone who just likes St Dominic!

[b]The Chaplet of St. Dominic,[/b] also called "A Cry of Anguish" because it used in times of distress. It may be prayed on a normal rosary.

On the large beads, pray the [b]O Spem Miram[/b]:

V. O wonderful hope, which thou gavest to those who wept for thee, at the hour of thy death, promising, after thy departure, to be helpful to thy brethren!
R. Fulfil, O father, what thou hast said, and help us by thy prayers.

V. O thou who didst shine illustrious by so many miracles, wrought on the bodies of the sick, bring us the help of Christ to heal our sick souls.

V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

V. Pray for us blessed father Dominic.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray. O God, who hast enlightened Thy Church by the eminent virtues and preaching of blessed Dominic, Thy confessor and our father, mercifully grant that by his prayers it may never lack temporal help, and may ever increase in all spiritual good. Through Christ Our Lord. [b]Amen.[/b]

On the small beads, pray:

Holy Father, cast thy mind
on the work thy hands designed;
In the Judge's presence stand
For thy poor and lowly band.

At the end, pray:

V. Pray for us, O Holy Father, St. Dominic.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

God, whose property it is always to have mercy and to spare, we humbly beseech Thee, that we, who spoil the works of Thy glory by our sins and are justly afflicted for what we have done, may, by the merits and intercession of blessed Dominic, Thy confessor and our father, be comforted in our trials, and ever obey Thy divine will. Through Jesus Christ, Thy Son. [b]Amen[/b].

DiscerningSoul

I think its so neat that St.Dominic's feast day is on a Friday and the date is 8-8-8 and the start of the Olympics!
I will be attending a Divine Mercy hour at the Little Sisters of the Poor tonight with a friend from 8 till 9pm.
Of course I'll be in black and white! LOL

:saint: :saint: :saint: :saint: :saint: :saint: :saint: :saint:

A Yearning Heart

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1620616' date='Aug 8 2008, 09:04 AM']:yahoo:
I'm going to Mass in the AM. I'm planning on wearing one of my B&W outfits. :)[/quote]

I don't have a habit (maybe in the future, God willing) but the brother friars in sydney had dominican hoodies for their friends and volunteers at wyd!

(hoodies are black with the dominican cross over the heart and the word dominicans in white over the left upper arm).

I felt very honoured to wear mine :D

(as an aside, being dominicans-there was debate if a hoodie with the domincan cross of it is a dom-oodie or a dominoodie... :topsy: )

DominicanPhilosophy

That is awesome! And happy [belated] Feast of Bl. Mary Mackillop, too, right? Nat was saying something about that to me earlier.

A Yearning Heart

[quote name='DominicanPhilosophy' post='1622326' date='Aug 9 2008, 04:36 PM']That is awesome! And happy [belated] Feast of Bl. Mary Mackillop, too, right? Nat was saying something about that to me earlier.[/quote]

It is such a small world! :cool:

Thanks. Yes, Bl. Mary MacKillop's feast day is the 8th of August, the day of her death but being a Blessed, the day is only a feast day in Australia and not the univeral church (yet).

In Australia, St. Dominic's Feast day has been moved to the 5th August...St. Dominic is such a gentleman for moving days for Bl. Mary

VeniteAdoremus

He is a [i]total[/i] gentleman. Persistent, though.

There were of course loads of clothings and professions on the happy Feast... and for all the guys: 11 new novices in the Province of St. Joseph!

[url="http://www.dominicanfriars.org/2008/08/09/11-clothed-in-habit-begin-novitiate/"]http://www.dominicanfriars.org/2008/08/09/...egin-novitiate/[/url]

(I think they reproduced the bios from when they started postulancy, but they're still cool.)

There was a lovely article about the English Dominican friars in this week's edition of the Catholic Herald:

"‘Our way of life has never been more necessary.’
The Dominican Order suffered after Vatican II, says [b]Anna Arco[/b]. But the English province is at the centre of a renaissance of Dominican life."

Read the rest of the article [url="http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/features/f0000296.shtml"]here.[/url]

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='rosamundi' post='1623542' date='Aug 10 2008, 09:51 PM']There was a lovely article about the English Dominican friars in this week's edition of the Catholic Herald:
"‘Our way of life has never been more necessary.’
The Dominican Order suffered after Vatican II, says [b]Anna Arco[/b]. But the English province is at the centre of a renaissance of Dominican life."

Read the rest of the article [url="http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/features/f0000296.shtml"]here.[/url][/quote]

Thank you! Oh, I can't believe I forgot to post that :)