An Old School Catholic Message Board

Friday Penance

Resurrexi

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1617222' date='Aug 4 2008, 09:34 PM']Yep

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, [b]unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday[/b]. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.[/quote]
Thanks - I was looking for something about that. Should have just searched the CCC. :)

MissScripture

[quote name='Deb' post='1617216' date='Aug 4 2008, 03:30 PM']I am pretty sure there is a symbol of a fish on my calendar that kind of guides me as to when I should be doing what. If I am wrong, please let me know. :lol:[/quote]
It doesn't have that on my Twins calendar. :lol: But, yeah, those calendars are nice, especially when you randomly look at one and realize the next day you need to go to Mass and your entire family would've forgotten, otherwise. :lol:

[quote name='Deb' post='1617206' date='Aug 5 2008, 09:24 AM']I hate to admit I know virtually nothing about this. In RCIA I was just told I could not eat meat on Fridays during lent or on Holy Days of obligation. I just picked up a book on fasting. I guess I should get moving and read it.
We could never eat meat on Friday when I was growing up. When I returned to the church, everybody said we could. Hmmm. Methinks some things were missing from my RCIA.[/quote]

Of course you can eat meat on Holy Days of Obligation! They are major feastdays in the Church, and we usually have an especially nice meal to celebrate them!RCIA seems to get a lot of things wrong; I was told incense used during Mass had the purpose of hiding the bad smell of the priest; the rosary was invented to keep dumb people occupied;etc,etc. Since going to the traditional Mass, I've learned a lot and now I appreciate the reasons for the Friday Abstinance and much more!
But to say eating meat on Fridays is a mortal sin is a bit over the top.There are 3 conditions that need to be fulfilled for a sin to be mortal: first, the thought,desire,word,action or omission must be seriously wrong or considered seriously wrong; second, the sinner must know it is seriously wrong; third,the sinner must fully consent to it.

glad someone dragged up my post so I didn't have to respond to Akin's artical again. as I understand it, in the US it is venially sinful not to do some type of penance on all fridays throughout the year. this is because the universal law requires penance and the local bishops' conference has the authority to alter the level of requirement and offer replacements. the USCCB has definitely loosened the level of requirement and allowed for basically anything as a replacement, but we are still bound by the requirement of the universal law, just not bound as tightly as we could be.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1617893' date='Aug 5 2008, 04:55 PM']glad someone dragged up my post so I didn't have to respond to Akin's artical again. as I understand it, in the US it is venially sinful not to do some type of penance on all fridays throughout the year. this is because the universal law requires penance and the local bishops' conference has the authority to alter the level of requirement and offer replacements. the USCCB has definitely loosened the level of requirement and allowed for basically anything as a replacement, but we are still bound by the requirement of the universal law, just not bound as tightly as we could be.[/quote]
I would like to hear Archbishop Burke's opinion on this before Akin's or yours. :P

I did check this out and we are supposed to be offering up something else on every Friday, if not meat. I think I will just go back to no meat on Friday. Makes it easier for me to remember and I don't eat that much meat anyway.

I did note there is a full fish on the Vigil of the Assumption so I will have to take my calendar down and figure out what that means. I thought it meant no meat.

[quote name='Deb' post='1620764' date='Aug 7 2008, 06:10 PM']I did check this out and we are supposed to be offering up something else on every Friday, if not meat. I think I will just go back to no meat on Friday. Makes it easier for me to remember and I don't eat that much meat anyway.

I did note there is a full fish on the Vigil of the Assumption so I will have to take my calendar down and figure out what that means. I thought it meant no meat.[/quote]

Regardless of what your calendar says, there is currently no canonically binding obligation to abstain from meat on any other days besides all the Fridays throughout the year (besides those which fall on a solemnity) and Ash Wednesday.

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Edited by StThomasMore

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1622344' date='Aug 9 2008, 03:12 AM']Regardless of what your calendar says, there is currently no canonically binding obligation to abstain from meat on any other days besides all the Fridays throughout the year (besides those which fall on a solemnity) and Ash Wednesday.

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.[/quote]

Wow, you just double talked. Amazing!

That is wonderful. I love how I got to read that twice. I have been successfully programmed. Catholicism is great! I love it! You have to repeat yourself twice to get your point across, but it's great!

You are such an [url="http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/android.htm"]android[/url] dude.

Android doesn't anger, nor does he engage in actual combat, rather he will merely point out the logical inconsistencies of other Warriors. Irony and sarcasm are completely lost on Android, and being impossible to insult or injure in any way, he is invulnerable to conventional attack. If, for example, someone were to call him a pinhead, he would get out a tape measure and after finding that his cranium falls within normal size specifications Android would dismiss the comment as erroneous. Android's circuits are not equipped to process ambiguous or aesthetic input, consequently any extensive discussion involving personal feelings, intuition, art and metaphorical allusions will quickly drive Android from the field of battle.

[img]http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/Assets/android.jpg[/img]

Copyrighted by [img]http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/fwlogo.gif[/img]

Edited by KOIfriend

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Majella' post='1617330' date='Aug 4 2008, 05:50 PM']I was told incense used during Mass had the purpose of hiding the bad smell of the priest; the rosary was invented to keep dumb people occupied;etc,etc.[/quote]
Ay Dios mio, you're kidding!
[quote name='KOIfriend' post='1622345' date='Aug 9 2008, 01:16 AM']...[/quote]
Gotta admit, I've gotten really sick of that site, exceptionally quickly. What, are you the author of those or something?

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1617171' date='Aug 4 2008, 01:36 PM']In your opinion, on non-Lenten Fridays (other than Solemnities), is it sinful not to abstain from meat or perform another penance?

Obviously this thread is intended for people living in the US, where the USCCB has decided that on non-Lenten Fridays the faithful may substitute abstinence from meat for another penance. If you live in another area, apply your bishops' conference's rules on non-Lenten abstinence to this poll.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
it depends on whether people are aware of it or it. i'd say most people in the U.S. don't know about it.

[quote name='KOIfriend' post='1622345' date='Aug 9 2008, 02:16 AM']Wow, you just double talked. Amazing!

That is wonderful. I love how I got to read that twice. I have been successfully programmed. Catholicism is great! I love it! You have to repeat yourself twice to get your point across, but it's great![/quote]

Dude. All he did was quote a source to show that he was right. And he was. Chillax.

[quote name='geetarplayer' post='1628176' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:51 PM']Happy Feast of the Assumption! :sweat:[/quote]

I had steak alfredo at Olive Garden. It was good :)