An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Nuns In Iceland

Saint Therese

Saint Therese

This is the site for the Carmelite nuns in Iceland: [url="http://www.karmel.is/eng/"]Carmelite Nuns in Iceland[/url] . They seem very traditional.

Edited by Saint Therese

VeniteAdoremus

Wow, I didn't know there were convents in Iceland! (There are, after all, only 8000 catholics - and 18 priests - in the ENTIRE country.)

They look very cool. Their calligraphy and embroidery is amazing!

puellapaschalis

Dude, language love - a website in Icelandic, English and Polish! I wonder if this monastery was founded from one in Poland, especially if the nuns were voting in a Polish election. And can we spot some devotion to JPII in there? :)

I'm impressed by the grille in the shop!

Ok, silly question for anyone who's ever worn a Carmelite habit: does the whole tucked-in-veil not massively irritate you? Whenever my hair is tucked into my clothes or something it just bugs me :D Not so much the hair being against my skin, more that it feels like a restriction of the movement of my head.

puellapaschalis

Oh, and everyone should read [url="http://www.karmel.is/eng/howto.html"]this page[/url], I think. Given my discernment situation right now I found it quite reassuring in some ways.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='shadowedseraph' post='1617089' date='Aug 4 2008, 08:43 PM']The embroidery calligraphy and icon work are simply stunning what a talented community! :)[/quote]

Yes, especially since they're so few! All I can think is that Iceland has long winters and they probably spend a lot of time indoors...

shadowedseraph

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1617104' date='Aug 4 2008, 08:01 PM']Yes, especially since they're so few! All I can think is that Iceland has long winters and they probably spend a lot of time indoors...[/quote]

lol well i suppose it gives them plenty of time and dont they have the long summer where its light for over 3/4 of the day?

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1617635' date='Aug 5 2008, 06:43 AM']I dont know why but they seem very non-worldly to me.[/quote]

In a good or a bad way?

puellapaschalis

Well, it is Iceland. Practically another planet anyway. Although a very beautiful one with a great language.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1618510' date='Aug 6 2008, 02:02 AM']un-worldly in a good way, you know, detached from worldly things. Just a feeling.[/quote]

Yes, I had that too.

I think seeing the grille in their shop helped :)

+Praised be Jesus Christ
I especially loved the page that PP pointed out (forgive my familiarity but I don't want to make a mistake in writing your name out...!) They sound very healthy, very grounded and have some excellent advice. Their work is fantastic.
TradMom

puellapaschalis

[quote name='TradMom' post='1619359' date='Aug 6 2008, 09:20 PM']+Praised be Jesus Christ
I especially loved the page that PP pointed out (forgive my familiarity but I don't want to make a mistake in writing your name out...!) They sound very healthy, very grounded and have some excellent advice. Their work is fantastic.
TradMom[/quote]

Oh goodness, please don't worry about that. So long as it's clear from the context that you're referring to me and neither a parish priest nor Planned Parenthood (in which case puella is fine), I don't mind at all :)