An Old School Catholic Message Board

Alcohol And Pregnant Women

MissScripture

MissScripture

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1616919' date='Aug 4 2008, 09:47 AM']:lol: I was horrified at first when I learnt I was pregnant because I was thinking of the margaritas I'd had earlier in the pregnancy. I don't drink all that much usually, perhaps a shot of whiskey or a glass of wine with dinner a couple days a week, so while pregnant I think I had maybe 2 or 3 glasses of wine. Everything gave me heartburn, so I tended to stay away from it. :lol:[/quote]
I'm probably just going to be paraonid in general, thinking "what if I am pregnant!" My mother probably won't help at all with the paranoia and just feed it. Not that I can blame her, though...I'll be the third child getting married and she doesn't have any grandkids yet, and she knows I want kids. My mom has already told me that when James and I get married, I have first dibs on the healthy food, because I could get pregnant. :lol:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1616942' date='Aug 4 2008, 04:18 PM']I'm probably just going to be paraonid in general, thinking "what if I am pregnant!" My mother probably won't help at all with the paranoia and just feed it. Not that I can blame her, though...I'll be the third child getting married and she doesn't have any grandkids yet, and she knows I want kids. My mom has already told me that when James and I get married, I have first dibs on the healthy food, because I could get pregnant. :lol:[/quote]
I know what you mean! :lol: To be honest, I didn't care as much about the alcohol, but I really wanted to be able to eat Brie when I was pregnant.

Some researchers are recommending that all women of child bearing years, eat and treat their bodies as being pregnant since they could be at any time. Having proper levels of folic acid in the body, when you become pregnant, and for the first 3 months, they think can greatly reduce the chance of your child having spina bifida, those weird childhood cancers, and the development of schizophrenia later. They have looked at the first three months of gestation, but now are starting to look at the affect of how you treat your body before becoming pregnant as well, and they are finding it makes a difference too.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1617058' date='Aug 4 2008, 01:10 PM']Some researchers are recommending that all women of child bearing years, eat and treat their bodies as being pregnant since they could be at any time. Having proper levels of folic acid in the body, when you become pregnant, and for the first 3 months, they think can greatly reduce the chance of your child having spina bifida, those weird childhood cancers, and the development of schizophrenia later. They have looked at the first three months of gestation, but now are starting to look at the affect of how you treat your body before becoming pregnant as well, and they are finding it makes a difference too.[/quote]

I know the embryology professor at FUS (he's been teaching embryology for 40 years lol) suggested to take pre-natal vitamins to increase fertility lol

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1616942' date='Aug 4 2008, 11:18 AM']I'm probably just going to be paraonid in general, thinking "what if I am pregnant!" My mother probably won't help at all with the paranoia and just feed it. Not that I can blame her, though...I'll be the third child getting married and she doesn't have any grandkids yet, and she knows I want kids. My mom has already told me that when James and I get married, I have first dibs on the healthy food, because I could get pregnant. :lol:[/quote]

lol I wasn't paranoid at all. I did happen to have one glass of red wine right after the little one was conceived. It was Valentine's Day and Micah cooked an awesome dinner, and I love wine so... I felt horrible after the fact when I found out I was already a week pregnant when I drank that glass of wine. lol The doctor as well as many others reassured me that everything was fine.

Oh and I did have a tiny sip of pink champagne to celebrate my college graduation.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1616912' date='Aug 4 2008, 03:39 PM']I've heard that once before. Well, actually, I think I heard wine, but alcohol at any rate. I'm not sure. I think the prohibition of pregnant women drinking alcohol is that they don't really know a whole lot about FAS.[/quote]

I'm not sure if this is the reasoning or not, but red wine has been shown to guard against listeria, if I remember correctly. Since listeria has been linked to miscarriages, this could be a reason. Although, most docs I know of just tell pregnant women to avoid unpasteurised che[i][/i]ese. But who wants to eat pasteurised Brie? I mean really. :mellow:

havok579257

[quote name='picchick' post='1616920' date='Aug 4 2008, 10:48 AM']Fetal Alcohol Syndrome occurs primarily in the first trimester as the baby is just forming. So this could come from mom's who don't realize they're pregnant and they just binge drink or whatnot.

I am totally against drinking in any trimester. However, I don't think that we can hold all women accountable for this if they truly did not know and it was "too late". Alcoholics I think should be held accountable, though. Yes, I understand that it is an addiction and that they need help. However, if they were to drive drunk and killed someone they would be accountable for their actions.[/quote]

Well then we should hold fat people accountable for eating to many high fat and high sugar foods while pregnant since these things lead to diabities in babies. A disease that will eventually lead to the childs major health problems..

How many more people should we force rules on?

Edited by havok579257

MissScripture

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1618963' date='Aug 6 2008, 07:45 AM']I'm not sure if this is the reasoning or not, but red wine has been shown to guard against listeria, if I remember correctly. Since listeria has been linked to miscarriages, this could be a reason. Although, most docs I know of just tell pregnant women to avoid unpasteurised che[i][/i]ese. But who wants to eat pasteurised Brie? I mean really. :mellow:[/quote]
At the risk of sounding dumb, what is listeria?

Archaeology cat

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1619490' date='Aug 6 2008, 09:31 PM']At the risk of sounding dumb, what is listeria?[/quote]
I hadn't heard of it until I got pregnant, and then kept being told to stay away from it. :) Anyway, here's the wiki article on it: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listeria"]listeria[/url].

And [url="http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/listeria.html"]here's something on listeriosis and pregnancy[/url].

[quote name='havok579257' post='1619097' date='Aug 6 2008, 12:43 PM']Well then we should hold fat people accountable for eating to many high fat and high sugar foods while pregnant since these things lead to diabities in babies. A disease that will eventually lead to the childs major health problems..

How many more people should we force rules on?[/quote]

I think elves should have rules against them. After all, they're taking all of our elf care in Canada. I say we bar all elves from hospitals!

Tell them to go back to Santa where they belong!

It's a fricking government conspiracy to take money from good tax payers like myself!

Edited by KOIfriend

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1616725' date='Aug 4 2008, 12:17 AM']The biggest problem with this, is that it could lead down two different paths that Americans are probably not going to agree to go. The first would be if you can be prosecuted for FAS, then you could potentially prosecute if a mother didn't eat right, or take pre-natal vitamins or smoked and produced a low birth weight baby.[/quote]

:mellow:

I don't take pre-natal vitamins... they make me get even sicker than I already am during pregnancy.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1622469' date='Aug 10 2008, 12:12 AM']:mellow:

I don't take pre-natal vitamins... they make me get even sicker than I already am during pregnancy.[/quote]
:shock:

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1617058' date='Aug 5 2008, 02:10 AM']Some researchers are recommending that all women of child bearing years, eat and treat their bodies as being pregnant since they could be at any time. Having proper levels of folic acid in the body, when you become pregnant, and for the first 3 months, they think can greatly reduce the chance of your child having spina bifida, those weird childhood cancers, and the development of schizophrenia later. They have looked at the first three months of gestation, but now are starting to look at the affect of how you treat your body before becoming pregnant as well, and they are finding it makes a difference too.[/quote]
While I agree that alcoholism and alcohol abuse is bad in any state, especeially pregnancy, I think telling women to always act as if they might be pregnant a bit over the top. I love unborn just as much any other Catholic, but really, if you drink responsibly throughout your whole life before you get pregnant I don't see how that could possibly affect the baby (as long you only drink minorly during pregnacy, if it all).

Of course what do I know? I'm just male scum with no right to an opinion on any body parts I don't have, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt then.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1622469' date='Aug 9 2008, 04:12 PM']:mellow:

I don't take pre-natal vitamins... they make me get even sicker than I already am during pregnancy.[/quote]
Vitamins make my aunt ill, as well, if I remember correctly.

[quote name='Justin86' post='1622481' date='Aug 9 2008, 04:25 PM']but really, if you drink responsibly throughout your whole life before you get pregnant I don't see how that could possibly affect the baby (as long you only drink minorly during pregnacy, if it all).[/quote]
Yeah, that's pretty much what my GP told me.

Edited by Archaeology cat