An Old School Catholic Message Board

Underage Drinking

Resurrexi

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Galloglasses

lol, France.

Here in ireland, drinking is a part of the Culture, so, according to the law, anyone under 18/21, (I can't remember which it is), is committing a crime by drinking, but socially and culturally, there's nothing wrong with it. From a moral standpoint, it would only really be quite sinful if the drinker were, say, 5.

Does this count drinking in the home? You know, you'll get a pile of PMers talking about how their state "prohibits [underage] drinking in the home" and all that. lawl... i remember a thread on that. Anywho, I'm holding my vote till this is clarified.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1616579' date='Aug 3 2008, 02:52 PM']Does this count drinking in the home? You know, you'll get a pile of PMers talking about how their state "prohibits [underage] drinking in the home" and all that. lawl... i remember a thread on that. Anywho, I'm holding my vote till this is clarified.[/quote]

It just counts as whatever is illegal. And, in fact, in my state drinking on private property or drinking alcohol given from parents is illegal lol.

Vincent Vega

Well, I'd say yes, it is a sin, in accordance with Paragraph 1952 of the Catechism ("There are different expressions of the moral law, all of them interrelated...comprising...finally, civil and ecclesiastical laws."). I won't speculate as to the gravity, however.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1616637' date='Aug 3 2008, 05:16 PM']Well, I'd say yes, it is a sin, in accordance with Paragraph 1952 of the Catechism ("There are different expressions of the moral law, all of them interrelated...comprising...finally, civil and ecclesiastical laws."). I won't speculate as to the gravity, however.[/quote]

Well, you know, the gravity of a sinful action in moral theology is, I would say, nearly or just as important as the fact that it is sinful.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1616648' date='Aug 3 2008, 06:46 PM']Well, you know, the gravity of a sinful action in moral theology is, I would say, nearly or just as important as the fact that it is sinful.[/quote]
K. Good thing I'm not a moral theologian then, I suppose. :P

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

Nihil Obstat

I would say venial sin, just because of the fact that it's against the law. After all, it's the sort of law we're supposed to obey.
Never been an issue to me personally though, thankfully! :D

the question is "does the government have legitimate authority to regulate our eating and drinking habits?"

nowadays, I am a legal 21 year old drinker (I caused quite a ruckus in previous threads because I was an underage drinker at the time). in my estimation, the government oversteps its authority in illegalizing underage drinking, especially when they illegalize it in the home as in PA, and as such it does not bind. now, the state has every right to punish anyone who disturbs the public peace by drinking irresponsibly; and you're probably only gonna get caught underage drinking if you're doing it irresponsibly and that would indeed be a sin and you should accept the punishment of the state without any complaint of injustice.

if you happen to get caught while responsibly drinking in moderation with parental permission (cause parents are the ones who really have the authority to regulate your eating and drinking habits until you can be considered an adult, which is at about 18 I'd say), then you grudgingly accept the punishment but have every right to complain about the injustice that has been perpetrated against you. such things rarely happen, of course :cyclops:

Thanks for making the poll, STM. I'm surprised how many people seem to agree with me... I always thought I was the only one who found it wrong for the gov't to regulate this... I went to a youth group a few weeks ago where one of the core team members talked about never having had a drink and how "having one is just as bad as getting drunk"... she was applauded quite vigorously by all in attendance, minus a couple of us who for the most part remained silent... arguments are tough when it's 3 vs. 50. :(.

Yes it is a sin because it is a violation of the law.

Drunkenness is a sin as evidenced by the bible.

Galatians 5: 19 - 21 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Luke 21: 34 Jesus said, "Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap."

Drunkenness is an offense to God. A person has to be mature to know their own limits. By the very nature of the biological makeup of humans, teenagers, although they can be mature in many ways, are not mature enough to drink responsibily. That does not include all, but most. Most teens have a difficult time making decisions while sober and a much more difficult time when drinking. Drinking is not something that is necessary for any human being and to think that it is, hence thining that not being able to is restrictive, says more about ones reasons for drinking than anything else.

So many of the problems of this world are a result of people thinking that if something they do does not hurt anyone else, it should be allowed. The truth is, that everything you do affects YOU and others, even if it is just between you and God. Christians are called to witness and to be an example of living as Christ lived. Is there anything wrong with a glass of wine with dinner or a drink now and then? No. Is it something you have to have to enjoy life? No.

In certain situations, yes.

For example, it is in a private home and the parents allow their kid to have a sip of their wine...fine.

If they are at an underage party then yes it is a sin. One because mostly likely they are doing it behind their parent's back and two it is wrong.

Of course I am just thinking of the US.