An Old School Catholic Message Board

Evolution

Vincent Vega

Well?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Farsight one

[quote name='nowak.chris' post='1616474' date='Aug 3 2008, 02:18 PM']I think we need to distinguish from natural selection, which is observable limitation of genetic material (such as is used in breeding dogs/horses/whathaveyou) and evolution, which is a speculative theory on an increase in genetic material being incorporated into the pool of natural selection.

The Church obviously allows for evolution in its teaching, I remain unconvinced that it is at all logical.[/quote]Natural selection IS evolution, though. But evolution is not natural selection.

It's kind of like "All Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic". All natural selection is evolution, but not all evolution is only natural selection.

And no, it's not a speculative theory. Scientists would call it a hypothesis if it was. "Theory" in the science world is superior to "fact". A theory is an attempt to explain how an observable phenomenon happens. Remember, they still call them "the theory of gravity" and "cell theory". Evolution is not, as some people would like you to believe, some sort of completely different understanding of "theory".

Peace in Christ

[quote name='Servant of the Secret Fire' post='1616418' date='Aug 3 2008, 11:08 AM']But what does "immediate" mean here in this context? It seems to me that such a word must be very carefully used when talking about the creative actions of God, since He is outside of time.[/quote]

Dr Ott was familiar with the theory of evolution and addressed it in the book I quoted from. The phrase "immediate" is used in contrast to evolution, which supposes a process of change from one species to another. In other words, he's saying the Church Fathers taught that Adam was created from earth without a bunch of intermediary species in between, he was not making a reference to time, i.e. God instantly made Adam from earth as oppose to molding him for several hours.
[quote]Secondly, if possible, I would like to see a source which shows that the Fathers authoritatively taught that the creation of Man was direct from dust to human body. You say so in your sentence, but that is not necessarily what Dr Ott meant by "immediately created" as he makes no mention of earth, and as I say it is not clear what "immediate" means in this context.[/quote]

I hope my explanation above concerning "intermediate" helped, however in the same chapter Dr Ott says the following:

[b]"According to the [u]immediate[/u], literal sense, God created the body of the first man immediately out of inorganic material ("from the slime of the earth") and vivified it by breathing into it a spiritual soul."[/b]

Vincent Vega

[quote name='KOIfriend' post='1622032' date='Aug 8 2008, 07:50 PM']I believe 6-day Creationists are more evolved in Evolutionists, because we can actually read![/quote]
...Budge?

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1622033' date='Aug 8 2008, 09:51 PM']...Budge?[/quote]
Who?

Looks like I meet the [url="http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/Assets/xenophobe.jpg"]Xenophobe[/url]

[img]http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/Assets/xenophobe.jpg[/img]

by [img]http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/fwlogo.gif[/img]

Edited by KOIfriend

Farsight one

[quote name='KOIfriend' post='1622032' date='Aug 8 2008, 08:50 PM']I believe 6-day Creationists are more evolved in Evolutionists, because we can actually read![/quote]
Anyone that knows a darn thing about literature knows that simply reading a text doesn't tell you a thing. How confusing are Yeat's poems or Shakespeare's comedies if all you do is read them?

Vincent Vega

[quote name='KOIfriend' post='1622034' date='Aug 8 2008, 07:52 PM']Who?

Looks like I meet the [url="http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/Assets/xenophobe.jpg"]Xenophobe[/url]

[img]http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/Assets/xenophobe.jpg[/img]

by [img]http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/fwlogo.gif[/img][/quote]
:unsure:
Self-censored for charity's sake.

[quote name='mortify' post='1615610' date='Aug 2 2008, 01:12 AM']I don't have a problem with a literal understanding of genesis, but who knows.

Evolution that doesn't have God guiding it is against Church teaching.[/quote]
From the viewpoint that says that God guided evolution, he had to have guided all living endeavors since life began.

Which I guess isn't really being argued here, so...

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1622415' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:43 AM']Anyone that knows a darn thing about literature knows that simply reading a text doesn't tell you a thing. How confusing are Yeat's poems or Shakespeare's comedies if all you do is read them?[/quote]

I HATE SHAKESPEARE AND YEAT! THEY SMELL LIKE ELDERBERRIES! :lol_roll:

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1622434' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:54 AM']:unsure:
Self-censored for charity's sake.[/quote]

Lighten up buddy! I'm here to make this place light!

MissScripture

[quote name='KOIfriend' post='1622663' date='Aug 9 2008, 01:51 PM']Lighten up buddy! I'm here to make this place light![/quote]
And failing miserably. :) Which makes me think that's not really your motive. But that's just my opinion. :)

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1622665' date='Aug 9 2008, 03:53 PM']And failing miserably. :) Which makes me think that's not really your motive. But that's just my opinion. :)[/quote]

You're right. I'm here just to have some fun at the expense of some people who take themselves to seriously! My goodness, if I became this stuck up on a message board, I would be fit to stick a fork into!

My goodness. You guys are hilarious!

Daaa, Daaaaaa, Daaaaaaaaa, Da da, dadadadadada!

MissScripture

[quote name='KOIfriend' post='1622670' date='Aug 9 2008, 01:56 PM']You're right. I'm here just to have some fun at the expense of some people who take themselves to seriously! My goodness, if I became this stuck up on a message board, I would be fit to stick a fork into!

My goodness. You guys are hilarious!

Daaa, Daaaaaa, Daaaaaaaaa, Da da, dadadadadada![/quote]
WHAT? :shock: THIS IS JUST A MESSAGE BOARD? OH MY GOODNESS! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POINTING THAT OUT! I am SO glad you CAME to show us all the LIGHT! Thank you!

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1622677' date='Aug 9 2008, 04:00 PM']WHAT? :shock: THIS IS JUST A MESSAGE BOARD? OH MY GOODNESS! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POINTING THAT OUT! I am SO glad you CAME to show us all the LIGHT! Thank you![/quote]

Your welcome.

MissScripture

[quote name='KOIfriend' post='1622678' date='Aug 9 2008, 02:02 PM']Your welcome.[/quote]
Wow! You are SO my new hero! :bow: