An Old School Catholic Message Board

Regnum Christi: The Apostolic Movement

Treehugger

Regnum Christi is...  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

melporcristo

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1610752' date='Jul 28 2008, 12:45 PM']The "secret cult" accusations are very similar to those leveled against Opus Dei. Yet the Vatican fully endorsed OD. Without reservation. I think it could be that they are just "different". You know how that goes.[/quote]

The Vatican may have endorsed Opus Dei, but those in the rest of the world were persecuting St. Josemarie Escriva for his movement. It is very similar to RC. Read the history of Opus Dei, its pretty blatant that after Vatican II and the changing of the Mass, St. Josemarie was still staying the mass in Latin and facing East. He continuously would tell those in the movement about the importance of reverence in the mass and Latin in the mass, which caused those outside of the movement to not like OD along with the "secret" things OD would do, etc etc.

Sounds pretty similar to RC now.

johnnydigit

i don't know anything about RC, but i have heard a few praises in person. anyways, i don't think there is a movement that exists that doesn't have bad rumors about them. the Church is one thing, guided by the Holy Spirit Himself, and boy does it have rumors! now imagine a lay movement and its rumor mill. the common ingredient - imperfect people.

i say, give them a chance and check them out yourself. every group will have people who are faithful to the movement in one area, yet have people who are the opposite in another. take heed to the research you do, but take the negatives with a grain of salt, because after all, it is [b]here say[/b] (opinion) unless proven.

these movements have wonderful fruits, but as to the claimed rumors, well it's your job to find out firsthand and not just dismiss them because of what you heard. you could be missing out on getting closer to Christ and many other opportunities.

prayers to you and others who are discerning such communities, as i have also found it difficult to overcome "obstacles" which have kept me from participating..

johnnydigit

yes, one of the things that has kept me from participating in certain communities is the obedience to the Magisterium. i've had difficulty finding adequate responses and information regarding such issues, and frankly i currently have much more important fish to fry (religious discernment). i didn't want to cause a disturbance so i just followed the peace of Christ instead. if i wasn't discerning i'd probably push forward and settle my concerns.

anywho i just wanted to mention that when reading or hearing "opinions", a sign to look out for is the use of less-than-charitable language, like the use of negative or extreme adjectives (superlatives). this indicates an emotional bias and can hinder your search for objective info.

I guess the one question I have is why would anyone not be allowed an RC prayer book? If this is of the Catholic Church, why would it not be available to anyone?
I guess I just have a mistrust of secretive communities if they are tied to the Church. I don't know much but, if JPII was okay with them, that is enough for me.

johnnydigit

[quote name='Deb' post='1615953' date='Aug 2 2008, 01:15 PM']I guess the one question I have is why would anyone not be allowed an RC prayer book? If this is of the Catholic Church, why would it not be available to anyone?
I guess I just have a mistrust of secretive communities if they are tied to the Church. I don't know much but, if JPII was okay with them, that is enough for me.[/quote]

my guess would be because people unfamiliar with the activities of the group may be put off by knowing what is to come. i personally think someone who is willing to research deserves to know this information, especially if he is not a minor.

as far as JP2 and recognition from clergy, take it with a grain of salt. the approval can be just for a general document or summary of the community (statutes), and in no way be approval for the specific or current activities of said community.

friendofJPII

I know someone who was a LC seminarian, but almost had a nervous breakdown while there, because they run their seminary almost like a military camp. Of course, he is was a nervous person to begin with.

I think there is a danger with any religous lay movement, of it becoming cult-like. Like with Households, I'm not sure that strictly organized lay movements and communities are a good idea for families. I all for loosely organized groups, where members can come and go as they please, but I've heard stories where these kind of groups can stifle family life, rather than help it. Of course, this is my opinion, as lay communites have a rather strong history in our Church.

johnnydigit

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1616459' date='Aug 3 2008, 12:00 PM']I know someone who was a LC seminarian, but almost had a nervous breakdown while there, because they run their seminary almost like a military camp. Of course, he is was a nervous person to begin with.

I think there is a danger with any religous lay movement, of it becoming cult-like. Like with Households, I'm not sure that strictly organized lay movements and communities are a good idea for families. I all for loosely organized groups, where members can come and go as they please, but I've heard stories where these kind of groups can stifle family life, rather than help it. Of course, this is my opinion, as lay communites have a rather strong history in our Church.[/quote]

i know some who have been LC for years, and they have some pretty strict routines that do mimic the military, which i actually admire. not for everyone, but great for those who can gain from it.

causing divisions in a parish, divisions in family, "sect"-like behavior, heresy, unfaithfulness, etc. are all common accusations with movements and communities.. what to do, what to do..

• 1 month later...
Domine ut Videam

While have not had any personal encounters with any LC or RC I know that I spent the summer in the Diocese of Winona and that they are banned from that Diocese for the same reason that the previous post mentioning this named. And I tend to trust on the side of orthodox bishops, figuring that they must know something which they are simply not sharing yet. But yeah, short story....I trust my bishop. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
Guest PRCAGD09

[quote name='Deb' post='1615953' date='Aug 2 2008, 03:15 PM']I guess the one question I have is why would anyone not be allowed an RC prayer book? If this is of the Catholic Church, why would it not be available to anyone?
I guess I just have a mistrust of secretive communities if they are tied to the Church. I don't know much but, if JPII was okay with them, that is enough for me.[/quote]

I think it is because those are the prayers distinctive to our spirituality and complimentary to the promise we made to Christ at our incorperation. I don't think it's that you CAN'T SEE an RC prayer book, or you're not allowed to have one (all of the consecrated I know would be happy to show you one), but they made for the members of the movement. We don't hand them out to everyone we meet because they are complimentary to the commitments we have in our movement.
I am sure that if you approached a consecrated woman and expressed your concerns to her, she would show you the prayer book and tell you all about the Movement. No secrets here! We are all members of the Church and lovers of Christ. The website is www.regnumchristi.org and it can explain a lot. If you have any other questions, I'm sure if you contacted the RC members or legionaries in your area, they would be more than happy to help you out.

missionarybelle

Regnum Christi.

I was in ECYD. I participated in challenge and led a younger girls challenge group. I'm no longer invloved with Regnum Christi. and very glad.

I know some great people who've been in it and a friend of mine is actually a consecrated with them but i jsut don't personally have a great opinion of them. I find that they cater to the wealthy in society (I've actually heard consecrated ladies tell me that theyindeed do) which is cool becuase you need to reach out to the wealthy but it made it hard to do stuff with them becuase it was all so expensive.

they can be very very pressuring and i was very pressured and uninformed before i joined ECYD and actually regretted it later simply due to my lack of knowledge for what I was getting into.

I know they never do stuff in any churches in our diocese which i always thought was weird but i guess it may be from our bishop.

I don't like that everyone is so separated. There's a group for the little kids -K4J, there's the group for the girls -Cahllenge, the boys have Conquest, the mom's have something, and the dad's have something else. oh and familia is somewhere in there.
My family found that it separated us too much and severely limited the time we could spend together each week because someone always had a meeting