An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Anti-catholicism Dead?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1610266' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:37 PM']I don't think anyone has ever said that we're the only ones who have experienced dismissal and attack.

And no, I don't make assumptions about Protestants' political leanings... Christians color the whole political spectrum these days.

I was only using Bill Maher as an example. He's a biggie who has attacked all religions. But I wouldn't be too afraid to bet that he might make the most jokes about Catholics in his new movie. A Catholic Church was where a lot of the preview was shot, anyway. *shrugs* :)

It's true that all Christians are attacked by the world. But Catholics have been heavily attacked by not just nonbelievers in God, but also many Protestant denominations. Some denominations say that we're the antichrist. :mellow:[/quote]

The reason said the political thing is that I have heard people say that the Christian Right is ruining the country. I'm a Christian Libertarian, and I see a tonne of what I would consider really Communistic behaviour from the current and preceeding presidents, and I wont be looking forward to Obama being president either, but its more of the same BS!

What I am saying, all true Christians will be presecuted, and all fake ones will go coasting. Anybody considering that their Religion is the only one that is Christian has to take a step back and realize that anybody professing Christ will be reviled by men for their stand. It doesn't matter if you're Catholic or Protestant. You stand up for Jesus and you will be presecuted for your stand because Satan hates what happened on the cross!

I'm not to big on following the doctrines of each religion, but I think a lot of protestants might have said that because they are not as in tune with the spirit. I don't think any one religion is 'the Anti-Christ', but each religion has errors in them, and really, each religion is made up of men, who will rebel every so often.

On a side note, have you considered this. Are you open minded enough to learn something of God from a Protestant. What if God shared something with a Protestant, and you dismissed it because he's not a part of your religion? Have you not done the same.

Some Protestants have been insulted by Catholics to the point they would never join the Catholic Religion, but they will still serve God and learn about him.

The Anti-Catholicism in the world is one part those who are not filled with the spirit attacking it, and one part the way some Catholics shove it down someone's throat. Every time I hear, there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church, I roll my eyes and go, wow, there goes another bigot! And there are people on this board who should blush when they read this, as that is probably their mentality.

BTW, anybody who thinks the Catholic Church is wrong, will probably look at all the other sects of Christianity in the same light, passing judgment on true Christians in those religions because they don't belong to their religion.

So, if Jack Chick ever meet me, he'd probably say I am not saved because I don't believe in the Pre-Trib Rapture.

Edited by KOIfriend

lilac_angel

[quote]What I am saying, all true Christians will be presecuted, and all fake ones will go coasting. Anybody considering that their Religion is the only one that is Christian has to take a step back and realize that anybody professing Christ will be reviled by men for their stand. It doesn't matter if you're Catholic or Protestant. You stand up for Jesus and you will be presecuted for your stand because Satan hates what happened on the cross![/quote]

Muslims and homosexuals are persecuted too, but that doesn't make them automatically bearers of the truth. Christianity isn't defined by who hates us; it's how we imitate Christ and make Him the center of our lives. The persecution is a side effect but not The Main Indicator of whether or not we're right in our beliefs.

The truth is, any true Christian will follow the teachings of Christ and always seek His truth, no matter where it takes them. A cloistered nun who never sees people will not be persecuted, most likely, once she enters the cloister, yet she is still a true Christian.

People are often blanketed by hatemongers into their anti-Catholicism or anti-Protestantism, and if the specific Catholic or Protestant is not paying attention to those who criticize their religion, yes, they'll go coasting, mainly because they don't care as much. Those who care will note the persecution and likely feel persecuted.

On a more personal level, those who open their mouths and be true to their religion will always come across critics. It's more politically correct, it seems, for Christians to be insulted, so people are more open about doing that, and that's a fitting and biblical response for the world. I have come across critics and feel persecuted, even by those in my family sometimes, for my religion.

[quote]I'm not to big on following the doctrines of each religion, but I think a lot of protestants might have said that because they are not as in tune with the spirit. I don't think any one religion is 'the Anti-Christ', but each religion has errors in them, and really, each religion is made up of men, who will rebel every so often.[/quote]

Each religion contains men who have erred, but the apostolic moral and dogmatic teachings of the Church are not errant. If you'd like to debate about that, start another thread.

[quote]On a side note, have you considered this. Are you open minded enough to learn something of God from a Protestant. [b]What if God shared something with a Protestant, and you dismissed it because he's not a part of your religion? Have you not done the same[/b].[/quote]

All these assumptions are kind of insulting. Yes, I find Protestants to have fine insights on the Bible sometimes. I enjoy hearing their views on a Bible passage, because it often makes fine points. Do I consider them to have the fullness of the truth revealed by Christ's Church? No, I don't. But I don't close off myself off to what they have to say. The only things that I have a problem with is when a Protestant interprets the Bible in a way that is errant or takes the Bible out of context while ignoring parts of the truth, which sadly, I have seen quite a bit of.

[quote]Some Protestants have been insulted by Catholics to the point they would never join the Catholic Religion, but they will still serve God and learn about him.[/quote]

Were these insults defensive strikes back at their religion being attacked? Just curious.

[quote]The Anti-Catholicism in the world is one part those who are not filled with the spirit attacking it, and one part the way some Catholics shove it down someone's throat. Every time I hear, there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church, I roll my eyes and go, wow, there goes another bigot! And there are people on this board who should blush when they read this, as that is probably their mentality.[/quote]

I think Catholics are some of the least "guilty" when it comes to evangelizing their faith, unfortunately. I've never heard of a Catholic running around screaming or telling everyone "there's no salvation outside the Catholic Church!" I don't condone it, either. We do believe that it is possible for a person to be saved outside of the Church (see invincible ignorance), but we also believe that we have the fullness of the truth, which Protestantism broke from. And the life-giving Eucharist. Yet another thread.

[quote]BTW, anybody who thinks the Catholic Church is wrong, will probably look at all the other sects of Christianity in the same light, passing judgment on true Christians in those religions because they don't belong to their religion.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure people are aware of the marked differences between Catholicism and Protestantism by now, if they weren't already. Actually, I have had the kind of opposite worry myself that sometimes people looked down on Catholics because of Protestants. Kind of interesting. So I suppose I'm guilty of the same mentality as you, in that regard, though it's not a thought I dwell on often, because it's pointless to do so.

Those who think Catholicism is wrong in the first place need to do some more learning and soul-searching and forget what the [u]world[/u] and Chickmongers tell them to think.

[quote]So, if Jack Chick ever meet me, he'd probably say I am not saved because I don't believe in the Pre-Trib Rapture.[/quote]

Jack Chick turned countless numbers of people against the Catholic Church. Not Protestant sects. Sure, the looney probably doesn't think anyone is saved except people who read his cartoons. But by and large his "evangelization" has had the worst effects on rumors and stupidity going around about the Catholic faith.

Edited by lilac_angel