An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Anti-catholicism Dead?

cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/23/is-anti-catholicism-dead/?hp"]http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/...licism-dead/?hp[/url]

Interesting article. My dad grew up in NYC, and had some interesting stories about growing up Catholic there.

I'd like to think that anti-Catholicism is dead, but I think it is here to stay.

dairygirl4u2c

maybe the culture of anticatholic is lessening some, i don't know. but, it'll always be here,,,, cause it's a phase a lot of people go through. most anti catholics grow out of it.

there's some though, who stay that way for life. they're usually pieces of work, them sorts.

Nihil Obstat

I think that anti-catholicism is unfortunately growing.
Just not as overtly.

These Human Rights Commissions in Canada are almost blatantly anti Catholic. On top of that, I tend to get the feeling that people in general are being 'indoctrinated' to be extremely suspicious and outright hostile to most traditional orthodox theist beliefs.

Anti-Catholicism is evolving, and we need to keep fighting.

IMMHO.

lilac_angel

Hello San Francisco!

...I don't see anywhere in the article where it actually puts forth evidence that it's "dead" or even close to dying. Maybe I missed something? Or maybe it just exists in different forms now instead of the same archaic forms. Of course it won't always exist in the exact same way, as historical context is always different.

“To be a Catholic is not to be refused positions of influence in our society,” he said. “Indeed, one of the most acceptable things is to be a bad Catholic, and in the view of many people, the only good Catholic is a bad Catholic.”

Indeed.

So most people don't refuse us jobs as of yet and we can still achieve influential status (if we aren't too vocal about our beliefs, of course, or stand by the more serious beliefs with any backbone). Okay, still fail to see how that makes anti-Catholicism dead. It's not true, orthodox Catholicism [i]itself[/i] that gets anyone influential positions, unless it's a Church-related position.

Edited by lilac_angel

if anti-Catholicism died out completely in our society, I would take it as an indication that the Church isn't doing her job. men will revile us, Christ promised that much.

dominicansoul

nope. it isn't dead. proof is all over the internet with all the anti-catholic blogs and such...

Saying anti-Catholicism is dead is like saying anti-Semitism is dead just because Hitler is. These sort of things take different forms, and just because one form has died out doesn't mean another form won't rise to take it's place. While America is perhaps no longer anti-Catholic because of immigration, it is anti-Catholic in the sense that our teachings on sexual actions, abortion, and euthanasia are unacceptable to our country's own moral standards.

If anti-Catholicism were dead, there wouldn't be any need for the Catholic League for Religious and Civil rights.

It is not dead, it is alive and well and thriving. It just isn't so blatant because no one wants to reveal their "intolerance." I find it most in ultra left liberals.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1608715' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:47 PM']if anti-Catholicism died out completely in our society, I would take it as an indication that the Church isn't doing her job. men will revile us, Christ promised that much.[/quote]

At my latest job, someone told me that I shouldn't read the Bible anymore, because it's fairytales and metaphores, and not truth.

So, is there any real difference for a Catholic serving God and a Protestant serving God?

I've meet many fine Catholics, and I appreciate many people's passion for God in the Catholic Faith. To think, however, just because some people just don't agree with everything in the Catholic Faith makes them your enemy is foolish and delusional.

Focus on those who hate all Christians.

Edited by KOIfriend

lilac_angel

[quote name='KOIfriend' post='1610237' date='Jul 27 2008, 08:16 PM']I've meet many fine Catholics, and I appreciate many people's passion for God in the Catholic Faith. To think, however, just because some people just don't agree with everything in the Catholic Faith makes them your enemy is foolish and delusional.

Focus on those who hate all Christians.[/quote]

We're not talking about the people who don't agree. I think we're referring to the people who are openly hateful or act negatively toward us because of our religion or expression of that religion.

I have a new friend who's pulled to Christianity & considering becoming Episcopalian, but she's very interested in hearing more from me about Catholicism, even though she's been open about the fact that she has/had problems with some of its teachings. People like her, I've found, though, are rare. That's a bit of a tangent, though.

I don't view anti-Catholicism as anyone who doesn't share the same beliefs. I view it as openly hateful or blatantly disrespectful type stuff that puts our religion down on purpose. See Bill Maher. Jack Chick. For example, people who distort our faith, make up outright lies about it, mock it openly in lyrics, or make distasteful jokes about it.

Edited by lilac_angel

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1610244' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:21 PM']We're not talking about the people who don't agree. I think we're referring to the people who are openly hateful or act negatively toward us because of our religion or expression of that religion. I have a new friend who's pulled to Christianity & considering becoming Episcopalian, but she's open to hearing more from me about Catholicism, even though she's been open about the fact that she doesn't agree with some of its teachings. People like her, I've found, though, are rare. That's a tangent, though. I don't view anti-Catholicism as anyone who doesn't share the same beliefs. I view it as openly hateful, disrespectful type stuff that puts our religion down on purpose. See Bill Maher. Jack Chick. People who distort our faith, make up outright lies about it, mock it openly in lyrics, or make distasteful jokes about it.[/quote]

I hear you,

But at the same time, if I say I am Protestant, you will instantly think that I am Right Winged Conservative who is ruining the American Economy. Anybody who stands up for Christianity, who will say, they are utterly inability to go to heaven and trust only in Christ's death on the cross, then people are going to say evil things to those people.

Look at Orphra, and Bill Maher has said evil things about different sects of Christianity as well, so if you think it is focused on one side or the other, you're kidding yourself. There is a world wide trend to dismiss all things Christian, and to attack the Christian faith on all sides, so that they can utterly eradicate it.

For reading, if you are brave enough, go out and get [url="http://www.amazon.com/God-Not-Great-Religion-Everything/dp/0446579807/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217208499&sr=8-1"]God is Not Great[/url].

He's not just taking pop shots at Catholics, but every person who believes in God!

lilac_angel

[quote name='KOIfriend' post='1610254' date='Jul 27 2008, 08:29 PM']I hear you,

But at the same time, if I say I am Protestant, you will instantly think that I am Right Winged Conservative who is ruining the American Economy. Anybody who stands up for Christianity, who will say, they are utterly inability to go to heaven and trust only in Christ's death on the cross, then people are going to say evil things to those people.

Look at Orphra, and Bill Maher has said evil things about different sects of Christianity as well, so if you think it is focused on one side or the other, you're kidding yourself. There is a world wide trend to dismiss all things Christian, and to attack the Christian faith on all sides, so that they can utterly eradicate it.

For reading, if you are brave enough, go out and get [url="http://www.amazon.com/God-Not-Great-Religion-Everything/dp/0446579807/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217208499&sr=8-1"]God is Not Great[/url].

He's not just taking pop shots at Catholics, but every person who believes in God![/quote]

I don't think anyone has ever said that we're the only ones who have experienced dismissal and attack.

And no, I don't make assumptions about Protestants' political leanings... Christians color the whole political spectrum these days.

I was only using Bill Maher as an example. He's a biggie who has attacked all religions. But I wouldn't be too afraid to bet that he might make the most jokes about Catholics in his new movie. A Catholic Church was where a lot of the preview was shot, anyway. *shrugs* :)

It's true that all Christians are attacked by the world. But Catholics have been heavily attacked by not just nonbelievers in God, but also many Protestant denominations. Some denominations say that we're the antichrist. :mellow:

Edited by lilac_angel