An Old School Catholic Message Board

Alcohol

aalpha1989

friendofJPII

[quote name='Justin86' post='1609123' date='Jul 26 2008, 10:00 AM']Beer and wine both taste wonderful, but it depends on the type of course. :)[/quote]

I can't stand the taste of beer and most wines are too bitter for my liking.

I do enjoy fuzzy navels. :P

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Justin86' post='1609123' date='Jul 26 2008, 04:00 PM']Beer and wine both taste wonderful, but it depends on the type of course. :)[/quote]
Yep. There are very few beers I actually like, but I enjoy a nice glass of wine. :wine: Though whiskey (scotch or bourbon) is still my drink of choice.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1609138' date='Jul 27 2008, 12:10 AM']Yep. There are very few beers I actually like, but I enjoy a nice glass of wine. :wine: Though whiskey (scotch or bourbon) is still my drink of choice.[/quote]

Whiskey is quite fine...in moderation so I've learned. :whistle:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Justin86' post='1609144' date='Jul 26 2008, 04:13 PM']Whiskey is quite fine...in moderation so I've learned. :whistle:[/quote]
:lol:

Justin-That was when I lived in Oklahoma. Girls could buy beer at the grocery store, but not at the liquor store at 18. My 21st birthday fell when I was in Florida (spring break baby), and I was so excited to be able to finally buy in a liquor store. It was quite anti-climatic when I told the clerk excitedly, only to be informed at the time, Florida's age was 19 at the time.

I do think that the law is meant to reduce the abuse of alcohol, but honestly I don't think it has worked. I think that everyone who would abuse it under the age does already. It is not difficult to obtain, and about 75% of my senior class drank. The law does not do its job. All it does is make drinking more fun (who doesn't love risk).

Someone said that they thought that changing the law would do damage to the generation- I don't believe so, as the generation damages itself, anyway. This generation is no different from any generation in the past.

Catherine- Your story of drinking between the ages of 18 and 21 is typical even for today when it IS illegal.

It is not inherently evil to drink alcohol in moderation, and I still don't see why it should be illegal (I think it comes from America's sense of prudery stemming from the puritans). I still do not think it would be evil for one under 21 to have a drink.

CatholicCid

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1609205' date='Jul 26 2008, 12:12 PM']Someone said that they thought that changing the law would do damage to the generation- I don't believe so, as the generation damages itself, anyway. This generation is no different from any generation in the past.[/quote]
My generation drinks itself away as well. But, I think the taboo effect, while encourages some, still does keep people away. If it was just dropped, then you'd have that group between 18-21 that I think would over indulge in this new sense of freedom.
I look at it as a bunch of little kids who are allowed say, 1 sweet a day. Then, suddenly, the parents go "Go ahead and eat what you want!"... The kids would then overindulge, binge even, on sweets and become sick and realize their mistake the next day. However, with alcohol, you won't just get a tummy ache and feel sick for a day or two.

Also, is it illegal for minors to consume alcohol? Or is it illegal for them to purchase it? Personally, I think all states should allow minors to drink with parental supervision.

Edited by CatholicCid

[quote name='Justin86' post='1609092' date='Jul 26 2008, 10:30 AM']However, whatever age the government sets, it should allow an exception for parents on their private property. California doesn't allow for that, and as usual I think the state is full of BS for telling parents how to raise their children on their own land.[/quote]

I agree. I did not know that California did that. Ironically, in my family we always used to rub bourbon on the gums of a teething baby to soothe the pain. It worked. I don't imagine that CA would like that at all. Perhaps it also accounts for our liking bourbon.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Winchester' post='1607923' date='Jul 24 2008, 11:07 PM']The age limit on drinking is not Caesar's. The money had his face on it--it was his. Taxation is a right of the state.

Age limits are set to reduce alcohol abuse. If you are under the age and drink responsibly, you have fulfilled the spirit of the law. But you might suffer at the letter of it.[/quote]

Pretty much exactly what my s/d has told me.

It is kinda sad that an 18 yr old boy (American) can go off and die for his country, but cannot buy a beer. I think now kids 'pre-game' (booze it up before high school events) so they can have the stuff and not get caught carrying or drinking it at public venues. I would much rather teach them to drink responsibly than to have them alcohol-poisoning themselves in secret.

Personally, being a small person, I drink scotch on the rocks. After a vacation in Mexico I taught my 18 yr old daughter (ha ha, who is off to Tulane this fall--can you say ALCOHOL) to nurse one scotch all night, instead of a half-dozen Hurricanes like she tried to guzzle in Mexico. She was so sick and slept 18 hours of vacation away, was nauseous the next day, and learned a valuable lesson. (of course her parents at her side). She is small like her mom, and we little people can't keep up with you cossacks. I told her if anyone gives her any business about being a wimp, tell them to swig a sip of her scotch. THAT ought to cure them.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='MRSannie' post='1613281' date='Jul 30 2008, 11:47 PM']Personally, being a small person, I drink scotch on the rocks. After a vacation in Mexico I taught my 18 yr old daughter (ha ha, who is off to Tulane this fall--can you say ALCOHOL) to nurse one scotch all night, instead of a half-dozen Hurricanes like she tried to guzzle in Mexico. She was so sick and slept 18 hours of vacation away, was nauseous the next day, and learned a valuable lesson. (of course her parents at her side). She is small like her mom, and we little people can't keep up with you cossacks. I told her if anyone gives her any business about being a wimp, tell them to swig a sip of her scotch. THAT ought to cure them.[/quote]
I love Scotch. Scotchy, scotch scotch. My grandfather actually taught me to drink scotch on the rocks. Now I generally drink it neat.

[quote name='rachael' post='1616245' date='Aug 3 2008, 03:43 AM']rum :drool:[/quote]
:sick: Now tequila :drool: