An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christian Persecution In Egypt

Hassan

[quote name='MakeYouThink' post='1631004' date='Aug 18 2008, 07:39 PM']It was a newspaper Article, so I didn't see all the evidence the Journalist had. Maybe, he was just a muckraker, getting one fact and letting it fly. They do that.

But at the same time, doesn't it look like a conflict of interest there. The Vice President's old corporation gets the most contracts, and other corporations didn't. Isn't that wrong?[/quote]
So you're basing your assertion on the assumption that a journalist had evidence? Come, now.

It looks like a possible conflict of interest if the Veep was involved in setting the specs or had prior knowledge of them and was a member of the company at the time. Yet again, how many other members of our government have interest in the companies awarded contracts by the government? You do realize that the higher we go in the income levels, the more likely we are to encounter both politicians and business owners, right? You think the other politicians just crapped the money that got them into office, or do you think they got it from....corporations?

It's only wrong if his "old" company didn't meet the specs. How many other companies that didn't get contracts did he have interest in?

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1631008' date='Aug 18 2008, 07:42 PM']But can you juggle a handful of ice cubes without dropping any of them? See, that's the thing.[/quote]
I can't juggle for poo.

MakeYouThink

[quote name='Winchester' post='1631018' date='Aug 18 2008, 06:48 PM']So you're basing your assertion on the assumption that a journalist had evidence? Come, now.

It looks like a possible conflict of interest if the Veep was involved in setting the specs or had prior knowledge of them and was a member of the company at the time. Yet again, how many other members of our government have interest in the companies awarded contracts by the government? You do realize that the higher we go in the income levels, the more likely we are to encounter both politicians and business owners, right? You think the other politicians just crapped the money that got them into office, or do you think they got it from....corporations?

It's only wrong if his "old" company didn't meet the specs. How many other companies that didn't get contracts did he have interest in?[/quote]

The paper I read the article from was a National News Paper, there are standards for such things. You have to have documented sources to say the things in it.

I see where you're going with this, corporations and government all work together as one cohesive whole. I don't like it much.

[quote name='MakeYouThink' post='1631044' date='Aug 18 2008, 08:03 PM']The paper I read the article from was a National News Paper, there are standards for such things. You have to have documented sources to say the things in it.

I see where you're going with this, corporations and government all work together as one cohesive whole. I don't like it much.[/quote]
I'm not doubting the numbers, but the notion that other corporations had "better" plans. It's subjective and vague. The article is tertiary. So you're a skeptic who believes journalists hold to reliarble "standards".

That's going to be especially prevalent in a democratic free market.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1607009' date='Jul 24 2008, 06:44 AM']I have seen several allusions to the persecution of Christians in Egypt by the hands of Muslims. Reading the posts one would get the impression there is widespread systematic persecution of Christians on religious grounds that is not an exception, but the norm.

I haven't had time to investigate the matter. Skimming Human Rights Watch I have not seen much evidence of this. It seems that most issues relating to religious discrimination focuses on Egypts refusing Christians who converted to Islam for the sake of obtaining certain documentation frem reverting to Christianity. It seems that the Egyptian courts have largely ammended this but still make the individuals have their identification note their reversion from Islam which could lead to discrimination.

My point is that I have not been able to find any evidence of widespread, systematic brutal persecution. Does anyone have hard evidence from a respectiable source?

edit-

I do not intend to imply that religious discrimination does not exist in Egypt. I am asking about the allusions that seem to indivate widespread brutal persecution of Egyptian Christians on religious grounds.[/quote]

[url="http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?id=15931"]http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?id=15931[/url]

In reply to the original post.

As I understand it the persecution of Christians in Egypt is not so much a violent one as a disciminatory one.

From what I gather from my Egyptian friends Christians are second class citizens.

They can't rent apartments in certain parts of the city for example, or they can not get a good job..... It is more like Jim Crow for Christians.

Edited by Balthazor