An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christian Persecution In Egypt

Hassan

Madame Vengier

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1629620' date='Aug 17 2008, 12:03 PM']There are terrorists.

Terrorists tend to have two legs.

You could have two legs.

Thus, you could be a terrorist.[/quote]

My point exactly. I could be a terrorist. Anyone could be. So I don't get why it's unreasonable for anyone to think someone could be a terrorist, when the possibilty certainly exists. For the record, there are plenty of Arabs and Muslims in the city where I live and I don't think twice about them. I'm not into fear-mongering. I'm into educating ourselves about potential dangers and threats, and being aware of evil ideologies.

Actually, I do have a twinge of jealousy when I see some of the Muslim women because some them wear very beautiful veils. Some of them are downright fashionable. Proof that modesty IS beautiful.

[quote]To be honest, I think there is a greater percentage of terrorists in Islam than there is in Catholicism (we only have the IRA and the ETA, although I probably missed a few...) What's probably a big factor is that Islam isn't centralised like Catholicism is. No-one can say that Catholics are allowed to be terrorists, because our central authority has made it quite clear we aren't.[/quote]

Right. And Right.

MakeYouThink

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1629718' date='Aug 17 2008, 01:26 PM']My point exactly. I could be a terrorist. Anyone could be. So I don't get why it's unreasonable for anyone to think someone could be a terrorist, when the possibilty certainly exists. For the record, there are plenty of Arabs and Muslims in the city where I live and I don't think twice about them. I'm not into fear-mongering. I'm into educating ourselves about potential dangers and threats, and being aware of evil ideologies.

Actually, I do have a twinge of jealousy when I see some of the Muslim women because some them wear very beautiful veils. Some of them are downright fashionable. Proof that modesty IS beautiful.

Right. And Right.[/quote]

So, because anybody could be a terrorist, and you're right about that, we are to give up being in a free society by making people spies. Whole new meaning of neighbourhood watch!

I'm not a terrorist, and if someone was on the pay roll to check out what everybody in the block was doing all the time, I would get a nice sign, and put it on my lawn and say, so and so in this house is a spy for the government. Don't talk to them because they're not your friend but someone who gets paid to tell your dirty secrets!

That's right, I would invade they're privacy by telling their secret, just to humiliate them!

Madame Vengier

[quote name='MakeYouThink' post='1629832' date='Aug 17 2008, 04:09 PM']So, because anybody could be a terrorist, and you're right about that, we are to give up being in a free society by making people spies. Whole new meaning of neighbourhood watch![/quote]

But we SHOULD be on neighborhood watch anyway. Don't you watch out for your neighbors?

As for giving up being a free society...did you read my whole post? The part where I said I'm not into fear-mongering and acting suspicious of Arabs and Muslims?

MakeYouThink

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1630057' date='Aug 17 2008, 07:05 PM']But we SHOULD be on neighborhood watch anyway. Don't you watch out for your neighbors?

As for giving up being a free society...did you read my whole post? The part where I said I'm not into fear-mongering and acting suspicious of Arabs and Muslims?[/quote]

Yes, we should be looking out for our neighbours, not looking at them as suspicious. . .

I just don't like the fact Obama wants to create a homeland agency where people are paid to make sure people aren't terrorists. That is fear mongering!

Another great reason to not vote for that creep!

Madame Vengier

[quote name='MakeYouThink' post='1630095' date='Aug 17 2008, 09:04 PM']Yes, we should be looking out for our neighbours, not looking at them as suspicious. . .

I just don't like the fact Obama wants to create a homeland agency where people are paid to make sure people aren't terrorists. That is fear mongering!

Another great reason to not vote for that creep![/quote]

Oh please. He's so empty. He says whatever he says just to be saying something. He's a waxed fruit.

MakeYouThink

The big thing is I don't agree with this War on 'Terror'. I don't believe one of our government people, saying they are doing this for the safety of the people. I read a story in a Canadian Paper, the Globe and Mail, the only paper that actually covered this, buried in page 8, that over 40 per cent of all contracts to rebuild Iraq went to Haliburton, which is the corporation that Vice President Richard Chaney use to be CEO of, just before he became George Bush's running mate!

Do you agree with this kind of Nepotism? Those guys wanted war to line their pockets!

Edited by MakeYouThink

MakeYouThink

[quote name='Winchester' post='1630933' date='Aug 18 2008, 05:59 PM']So we should disallow entire corporations based upon ownership?[/quote]

Yes. That is what a democratic, free market society would do. . .

The article I read, there were dozens vying for the same contracts, some which had much better ideas for the restoration efforts, and many got denied when Haliburton was vying for the same contract. If that's not favourtism, then what is. It stinks, and is corrupt, and shouldn't be acceptable!

Might as well go back to King and Lords system!

[quote name='MakeYouThink' post='1630938' date='Aug 18 2008, 07:03 PM']Yes. That is what a democratic, free market society would do. . .

The article I read, there were dozens vying for the same contracts, some which had much better ideas for the restoration efforts, and many got denied when Haliburton was vying for the same contract. If that's not favourtism, then what is. It stinks, and is corrupt, and shouldn't be acceptable!

Might as well go back to King and Lords system![/quote]
No, a democratic free market society would use a spec and bid system.

The article you read was a tertiary source.

The king and lords system was far cheaper.

MakeYouThink

[quote name='Winchester' post='1630940' date='Aug 18 2008, 06:05 PM']No, a democratic free market society would use a spec and bid system.

The article you read was a tertiary source.

The king and lords system was far cheaper.[/quote]

And yet, it pigeon holed the poor, and made the rich richer.

You'd want us all fearful peasents, hoping our Lords wouldn't beat us, and use us for their own designs. I like this system a little better, because if I work hard, and have a dream, I can follow it, and elevate my economic standing. I still believe in that system. I am sorry you don't.

[quote name='MakeYouThink' post='1630946' date='Aug 18 2008, 07:07 PM']And yet, it pigeon holed the poor, and made the rich richer.

You'd want us all fearful peasents, hoping our Lords wouldn't beat us, and use us for their own designs. I like this system a little better, because if I work hard, and have a dream, I can follow it, and elevate my economic standing. I still believe in that system. I am sorry you don't.[/quote]My, we are quick with the accusations, aren't we?

I'll take an apology from you, now.

MakeYouThink

[quote name='Winchester' post='1630952' date='Aug 18 2008, 07:09 PM']My, we are quick with the accusations, aren't we?

I'll take an apology from you, now.[/quote]

LOL!

That made me laugh. I figured you for one with a tougher skin than that.

Okay, I apologize for saying you want a system that would crush the hopes and dreams of people everywhere!

Thank you.

I have quite a thick skin, but your accusations are clumsy and transparent. I've no time to watch you knock down straw men. I'm fond of rhetoric, but your technique is unrefined. Budgelike, if you will. I can make you into a truly effective thread hijacker and kneebiter--my accusatory skills are second to none.

I believe you were using a tertiary source to prove a point. How many other companies that won contracts have politicians in high positions within the company? What made their plans "superior". Mark well that superiority has nothing to do with awarding a contract. A company must be the cheapest one to fill the specs set by the government. This is not done by the president. There are ways to give advantage in this system, of course, and circumvent the intention of having a bidding system. I believe there are even instances in which the bidding system may be entirely done away with. Sometimes, that's a good thing.

MakeYouThink

[quote name='Winchester' post='1630979' date='Aug 18 2008, 06:25 PM']Thank you.

I have quite a thick skin, but your accusations are clumsy and transparent. I've no time to watch you knock down straw men. I'm fond of rhetoric, but your technique is unrefined. Budgelike, if you will. I can make you into a truly effective thread hijacker and kneebiter--my accusatory skills are second to none.

I believe you were using a tertiary source to prove a point. How many other companies that won contracts have politicians in high positions within the company? What made their plans "superior". Mark well that superiority has nothing to do with awarding a contract. A company must be the cheapest one to fill the specs set by the government. This is not done by the president. There are ways to give advantage in this system, of course, and circumvent the intention of having a bidding system. I believe there are even instances in which the bidding system may be entirely done away with. Sometimes, that's a good thing.[/quote]

It was a newspaper Article, so I didn't see all the evidence the Journalist had. Maybe, he was just a muckraker, getting one fact and letting it fly. They do that.

But at the same time, doesn't it look like a conflict of interest there. The Vice President's old corporation gets the most contracts, and other corporations didn't. Isn't that wrong?

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Winchester' post='1630979' date='Aug 18 2008, 07:25 PM']Thank you.

I have quite a thick skin, but your accusations are clumsy and transparent. I've no time to watch you knock down straw men. I'm fond of rhetoric, but your technique is unrefined. Budgelike, if you will. I can make you into a truly effective thread hijacker and kneebiter--my accusatory skills are second to none.[/quote]

But can you juggle a handful of ice cubes without dropping any of them? See, that's the thing.