An Old School Catholic Message Board

Responsibility Of Men And Women

rizz_loves_jesus

rizz_loves_jesus

Since I don't want to go too off topic in the Women Priests thread, I'm just going to make my own.

[quote name='mortify' post='1606602' date='Jul 23 2008, 07:03 PM']I know it's a controversial statement and it's contrary to our modern understanding, but it's true.

Then the LORD God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him." Gen 2:18

All this means is that men have more responsibility, that's all, it's not such a great advantage because we'll be asked more on Judgment.[/quote]

Women lead and raise children more so than men do, generally. That is extremely important. I don't think leading this generation is any more significant than leading the next generation.

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1606638' date='Jul 23 2008, 07:21 PM']Men are [b]head[/b] of families, this is Church teaching. Wither a man stays with his family or does not he is still the head, leaving the family only brings rasher judgment.[/quote]

I have never denied that men are the heads of families. But that does not mean men have more responsibility. Raising children is a very important responsibility.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1606652' date='Jul 23 2008, 06:27 PM']I have never denied that men are the heads of families. But that does not mean men have more responsibility. Raising children is a very important responsibility.[/quote]

By definition the head of something has more responsibilities than the other parts of a group.

To add: ultimately responsibility of how the mother raises her children falls greatly on the father. Being head of the family if the mother does wrong and the father does not correct that wrong, he will be judged for both allowing his wife and children to be lead astray. Where as the mother would only be judge for the children, since she is not head.

Edited by KnightofChrist

I think you're misunderstanding what I said and it's partially my fault for explaining it wrong.

I did not say that men have *more* responsibility than women, I simply meant that leading the family bears it's own responsibilities that don't make it something all that advantageous.

Madame Vengier

I think men and women have equal responsibility. Equally important and equally necessary. Their responsibilities are complimentary. One is not more important than the other.

Not an earth-shattering contribution to the theme, I know. Just my 200 yen.

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1606661' date='Jul 23 2008, 07:33 PM']By definition the head of something has more responsibilities than the other parts of a group.[/quote]

But to say that women have less responsibility than men in general is wrong, because not everyone gets married. Priests have no more responsibility than nuns, because nuns are the spiritual mothers of all the world and must pray and fast to measure up to that.

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1606667' date='Jul 23 2008, 07:37 PM']I think men and women have equal responsibility. Equally important and equally necessary. Their responsibilities are complimentary. One is not more important than the other.

Not an earth-shattering contribution to the theme, I know. Just my 200 yen.[/quote]

I think you've got it spot on :)

Deus te Amat

I agree with Rizz and MV.

Men [i]are[/i] the head of the family in the sense that they are supposed to care for the family, both monetary wise, and spiritually wise. But the mother also has the job of raising the children and being responsible for the emotional welfare of the entire family.

However, in today's societies, these roles are often reveresed or ignored. Lame.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1606671' date='Jul 23 2008, 06:42 PM']But to say that women have less responsibility than men in general is wrong, because not everyone gets married. Priests have no more responsibility than nuns, because nuns are the spiritual mothers of all the world and must pray and fast to measure up to that.[/quote]

In general it is true since in general men are the leaders, not pc but its the case in general. As for priest they do have more responsibility than nuns, Priest' are heads of parishes or the head at mass. The Pope has more responsibility than do Bishops and Bishops have more responsibility than do priest.

With leadership comes more responsibility its a fact of life.

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1606679' date='Jul 23 2008, 06:51 PM']Men [i]are[/i] the head of the family in the sense that they are supposed to care for the family, both monetary wise, and spiritually wise.[/quote]

So, what would opinion be of the situation Sarah and I are faced with, where she will be making by far more than me? Does that make me less of a man?

Madame Vengier

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1606673' date='Jul 23 2008, 06:43 PM']I think you've got it spot on :)[/quote]

Oh man, that's AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWESOME. :smokey:

*giggle*

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1606679' date='Jul 23 2008, 06:51 PM']I agree with Rizz and MV.

Men [i]are[/i] the head of the family in the sense that they are supposed to care for the family, both monetary wise, and spiritually wise. But the mother also has the job of raising the children and being responsible for the emotional welfare of the entire family.

However, in today's societies, these roles are often reveresed or ignored. Lame.[/quote]

And people erroneously believe that "the head" is greater by virtue of it being "over" the body but this is not so. The body wouldn't be whole if so much as a single toe were missing. All parts NEED to be present and working in tandem. It has to be. One part cannot say "This other part is more important, I'm not needed as much". Just try walking around with no toes! Or try eating with no fingers. I don't see it so much as "parts which are greater versus parts which are lesser" but rather ALL parts being present and fully functioning as God intends them to be, each to its own. That's how I view the family structure--the marital and parental structure.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1606712' date='Jul 23 2008, 07:13 PM']And people erroneously believe that "the head" is greater by virtue of it being "over" the body but this is not so. The body wouldn't be whole if so much as a single toe were missing. All parts NEED to be present and working in tandem. It has to be. One part cannot say "This other part is more important, I'm not needed as much". Just try walking around with no toes! Or try eating with no fingers. I don't see it so much as "parts which are greater versus parts which are lesser" but rather ALL parts being present and fully functioning as God intends them to be, each to its own. That's how I view the family structure--the marital and parental structure.[/quote]

The head is what tells the body to walk, to eat, to sleep, to talk, etc etc etc.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1606696' date='Jul 23 2008, 07:04 PM']So, what would opinion be of the situation Sarah and I are faced with, where she will be making by far more than me? Does that make me less of a man?[/quote]

Couples actually divorce over this, can you believe it? So silly! Families need money. Who CARES which partner most of it comes from, right? It's all a blessing. It would be different it you were a slacker who didn't work or didn't work as much as you could and just laid around letting your woman bring in all the money. But this isn't the case. Like, if one partner is a lawyer and one partner is a high school teacher. A lawyer is going to make more money, period. But who cares? Being a teacher is something to really be proud of and you have to be smart and talented to be a teacher. So there's a lot of pride in that. The money balance is inconsequential. What matters is working hard and being good at what you do and contributing to your family and to society. That's what matters.

MissScripture

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1606712' date='Jul 23 2008, 07:13 PM']And people erroneously believe that "the head" is greater by virtue of it being "over" the body but this is not so. The body wouldn't be whole if so much as a single toe were missing. All parts NEED to be present and working in tandem. It has to be. One part cannot say "This other part is more important, I'm not needed as much". Just try walking around with no toes! Or try eating with no fingers. I don't see it so much as "parts which are greater versus parts which are lesser" but rather ALL parts being present and fully functioning as God intends them to be, each to its own. That's how I view the family structure--the marital and parental structure.[/quote]

This reminds me of that line in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" where they talk about the man being the head of the family, but it's the woman who is the neck and turns the head.