An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Danger Of Criticizing Priests And Bishops

Lil Red

[quote name='Deb' post='1605865' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:31 AM']Satan thrives on creating disunity and nothing makes him happier than to use one of Christ's own to bring that about and that includes priests as well as us.[/quote]
Actually, a medium rare prime rib dinner with asparagus makes him even happier.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Winchester' post='1605944' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:58 AM']Actually, a medium rare prime rib dinner with asparagus makes him even happier.[/quote]

You're bringing nothing to this dialogue, and making a joke of a topic that is very serious and which the other members are taking the time and effort to post serious thoughts about.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1605944' date='Jul 23 2008, 08:58 AM']Actually, a medium rare prime rib dinner with asparagus makes him even happier.[/quote]
But only if the asparagus is served in garlic butter.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1605994' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:57 AM']A agree that any criticism shouldn't be done publicly.[/quote]
That depends upon what is in dispute.

St. Maximos the Confessor publicly criticized Patriarch Pyrrhus during the Monothelite controversy.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1605847' date='Jul 23 2008, 06:32 AM']Of course I read it. And the end of the post it says "comments?" and I gave my comments. How did that warrant asking me if "you even read the article"? :mellow:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
just asking. :) like aalpha just read the part that i quoted, and didn't go to the link provided and read the whole thing. :) no worries.

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1605993' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:56 AM']You're bringing nothing to this dialogue, and making a joke of a topic that is very serious and which the other members are taking the time and effort to post serious thoughts about.[/quote]
it's what winchester does. ;) :hehe:

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1606042' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:40 AM']That depends upon what is in dispute.[/quote]like what do you mean?

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1606049' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:46 AM']like what do you mean?[/quote]
Public criticism of priests and bishops who espouse theological error is perfectly acceptable. In fact, depending upon the case, it may be a duty to publicly criticize a priest or a bishop, and this is clear to anyone who knows anything about the history of theological disputes in the Church.

So, if a priest or a bishop were to promote Monothelitism, Nestorianism, Arianism, Monophysitism, Eutychianism, Eunomianism, Apolllinarianism, Iconoclasm, et al., or a new heresy for that matter, it would be completely just and proper for a man to take that priest or bishop to task for his error. Remember, all of those wonderful heresies I mentioned above, and many more, were brought to us by priests and bishops, and all of those priests and bishops were publicly criticized by other hierarchs and by the lay faithful. We must not hide the light of truth under a bushel (cf. Matthew 5:15).

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='Proud2BCatholic139' post='1606076' date='Jul 23 2008, 11:18 AM']Take it up to Jesus. The priest represents Him![/quote]
We all represent Jesus, and we will all stand before the bar of judgment and be judged for our actions (or our faillure to act) in defense of the truth.

cmotherofpirl

Doesn't it depend on what the priest did?
There is a big difference between liturgical abuse and public sin.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1606082' date='Jul 23 2008, 11:22 AM']Doesn't it depend on what the priest did?
There is a big difference between liturgical abuse and public sin.[/quote]
Didn't I say in one of my posts ". . . depending upon the case"?

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1606068' date='Jul 23 2008, 01:10 PM']Public criticism of priests and bishops who espouse theological error is perfectly acceptable. In fact, depending upon the case, it may be a duty to publicly criticize a priest or a bishop, and this is clear to anyone who knows anything about the history of theological disputes in the Church.

So, if a priest or a bishop were to promote Monothelitism, Nestorianism, Arianism, Monophysitism, Eutychianism, Eunomianism, Apolllinarianism, Iconoclasm, et al., or a new heresy for that matter, it would be completely just and proper for a man to take that priest or bishop to task for his error. Remember, all of those wonderful heresies I mentioned above, and many more, were brought to us by priests and bishops, and all of those priests and bishops were publicly criticized by other hierarchs and by the lay faithful. We must not hide the light of truth under a bushel (cf. Matthew 5:15).[/quote]

I completely agree. I mean if my priest started teaching Nestorianism; I would definitely say something especially because I'm involved in the catechesis at our parish. You have no idea what type of damage having a priest teaching something like Nestorianism can do. It's very difficult to reteach a high schooler or child something that was taught to them incorrectly by a priest.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1606082' date='Jul 23 2008, 11:22 AM']There is a big difference between liturgical abuse and public sin.[/quote]
Sometimes a liturgical abuse is also be a theological error.

:)