An Old School Catholic Message Board

Odd Problem I Just Thought Off

Galloglasses

Galloglasses

I watched Rosemary's Baby a few days ago, scary stuff. Then this question hit me. Abortion is horribly evil, but what if you were carrying the son of Satan. What could you do? I have no side to take with in this regard because this seems a very difficult question to answer.

dairygirl4u2c

i'm not sure satan would be human or could be.
if he were though... i might argue, something like preemptive war type things. and how it's like getting the murderer before he gets you.
unless you're prety sure you can catch him without killing him.

in a way... with satan, makes it an easy answer. there's no question he's no good, and could be preemptively done away with. but then, you get someone who is next to no good... and then it's not so clear.

The only way you could know that you were carrying Satan's baby, is if you had been involved with Satan. I guess you could find out he was Satan after conception. I guess this would be a good reason not to use a sperm bank. You never know if Satan or his minions have been down contributing.

every human being, and thus every human fetus, is inherently good and it is absolutely immoral to kill them in cold blood. even if you know the person will grow up to be the antichrist, it is immoral to kill them in the womb.

there will never be a human being who is inherently evil; there will never be a human being that any creature within time can say for sure is going to eventually go to hell... every human being we ever meet we must assume is NOT BEYOND being saved.

if there were a human being somehow conceived as the son of satan (though I do not see this as a likely possibility), that human being ought to have the Gospel preached to them and be brought to Jesus Christ. evil is not an absolute, nor is it even a positive reality; no living creature can be conceived without the potential for great goodness. the only reason Satan does not have the potential himself is that he has already cemented his choice in eternity; at one point, he had the oppurtunity to make a good choice.

inasmuch as satan exists, of course, satan is good. the evil is not part of his nature, it is the defect in his nature. if he were to somehow have a human son (which would require some preternatural power we do not know of... unless perhaps the children of the nephilum in the Bible are to be interpretted literally in which case it would have precedent, but I do not believe that is literal) that human son would be deserving of all the love that any of us can muster.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1598328' date='Jul 11 2008, 11:41 PM']every human being, and thus every human fetus, is inherently good and it is absolutely immoral to kill them in cold blood. even if you know the person will grow up to be the antichrist, it is immoral to kill them in the womb.

there will never be a human being who is inherently evil; there will never be a human being that any creature within time can say for sure is going to eventually go to hell... every human being we ever meet we must assume is NOT BEYOND being saved.

if there were a human being somehow conceived as the son of satan (though I do not see this as a likely possibility), that human being ought to have the Gospel preached to them and be brought to Jesus Christ. evil is not an absolute, nor is it even a positive reality; no living creature can be conceived without the potential for great goodness. the only reason Satan does not have the potential himself is that he has already cemented his choice in eternity; at one point, he had the oppurtunity to make a good choice.

inasmuch as satan exists, of course, satan is good. the evil is not part of his nature, it is the defect in his nature. if he were to somehow have a human son (which would require some preternatural power we do not know of... unless perhaps the children of the nephilum in the Bible are to be interpretted literally in which case it would have precedent, but I do not believe that is literal) that human son would be deserving of all the love that any of us can muster.[/quote]

Ditto. What he said.

Nihil Obstat

Aborting the antichrist would be like someone killing Judas.
Seems fine and dandy at first, but then you realize that you just stood in the way of the most important development you'll ever see.

I really really want to see Rosemary's Baby though. Loved the Exorcist, and this is in the same vein, I hear.

I watched the Exorcist for the first time at the movies the night before my first day of highschool. Figured I wasn't going to sleep that night anyway. Some of it didn't track good for me.

A couple of years ago when they came out with the Director's cut, it made a lot more sense. Like it never made sense to me why the mom thought her daughter had killed the director. It made just as much sense that he fell, until you see the cut where the mom sees the daughter doing something "unhumanly" right after finding out he's been killed. Plus the director's cut left a lot more of the actual rite in, and the interaction between the priests. It just made more sense.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1598515' date='Jul 12 2008, 08:54 AM']I watched the Exorcist for the first time at the movies the night before my first day of highschool. Figured I wasn't going to sleep that night anyway. Some of it didn't track good for me.

A couple of years ago when they came out with the Director's cut, it made a lot more sense. Like it never made sense to me why the mom thought her daughter had killed the director. It made just as much sense that he fell, until you see the cut where the mom sees the daughter doing something "unhumanly" right after finding out he's been killed. Plus the director's cut left a lot more of the actual rite in, and the interaction between the priests. It just made more sense.[/quote]
I wasn't born when it came out. ;)
I have the 25th anniversary edition, but I also saw the directors cut one. I do like how they include the actual (albeit condensed) rite. I was kinda disappointed with the 25 anniversary because they cut most of the parts with Captain Howdy's face, and the spider walk scene is only a 'deleted scene' that isn't included in the actual film. :( The onyl good part about that is that you can see both versions of the spider walk scene: the one that ends with her having a forked (I think?) tongue, and the one that ends with blood coming out of her mouth.

One thing I didn't understand though...
Father Damien, when first seeing Reagan, sprinkles her with water from a vial that he tells the demon is holy water. The demon reacts violently.
Shortly after, Father Damien says that it was only regular water, not holy water.
Why was this included? I don't get how that is consistent with the plot.
Unless the assumption is that the demon was trying to trick him into thinking that it wasn't actually there.

I think it was about interjecting anything that would make Fr. Damien doubt his faith. If he sees this only with scientific eyes, then this is a simple case of psychosis. If he believes in the demon/devil, then he has to believe in God too.

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1598216' date='Jul 11 2008, 07:41 PM']I watched Rosemary's Baby a few days ago, scary stuff. Then this question hit me. Abortion is horribly evil, but what if you were carrying the son of Satan. What could you do? I have no side to take with in this regard because this seems a very difficult question to answer.[/quote]

No clue. Why would I even be in that situation in the first place? :P

I would have him and try to raise him the right way...I would hope that Little Nicky (lol) would be able to choose the right path. And even defeat his father!

...or...not...I dunno...lol.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1598761' date='Jul 12 2008, 03:13 PM']I think it was about interjecting anything that would make Fr. Damien doubt his faith. If he sees this only with scientific eyes, then this is a simple case of psychosis. If he believes in the demon/devil, then he has to believe in God too.[/quote]
Ok, I did get it right then. Good to know.

I would explain it all to the Pope and request that the child be raised in the Vatican. God would take it from there.

I saw RoseMary's baby when it came out (after having read the book) and it really creeped me out. It was a good movie. I saw The Exorcist when it came out and had nightmares for months. I recently saw the Directors cut and thought that was even scarier. The crabwalk was more than I could handle. I will never watch it again.

Autumn Dusk

First, Satan is an angel, and last I knew angels and humans don't get it on, as they do't have a set bodily form.

Second, angels are afraid to make their own choices as much as any other creature, especially higher order ones like angels and humans.

We use the term "devil child" in fun, but in reality its so far from the truth its ridiculous. *IF* you somehow got pregnant by the devil, the child would at worst have the innate characteristics of the devil which are extreme intelligence...and not the secondary characteristic of being the root of all evil.

So if i were carrying the spawn of Satan would I kill it? No, murder is murder. It'd be the same as going back in time and killing Hitler or Ted Bundy. It might not make a historical difference, beucase they were people of their time. And like America (and others) have learned countless times during war, overthrowing one dictator can be the worst choice possible after finding out what his replacement acts like.