An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blessing Objects By Non Clergy

White Knight

White Knight

Hello, I was wondering something about blessings by ordained clergy, by Deacons, Priests, and Bishops. I know its recommended to get objects, places, and people blessed by ritual blessings by ordained clergy, however what are the requirements for the Laity to bless objects or places?

[b]I have objects I want to have blessed, by some officially ordained clergy members, however its finding the time and all. I do have Holy Water on me, and I believe strongly in the efficient use of holy water, because its used to remember baptism values, and other uses for it too are good too. However I was wanting to know what does a non-clergy member of the faith have to do to bless things?[/b]

:sign: God Bless You :sign:
:sword: White Knight :sword:

+J.M.J.+
well, there is a very good book called "Household Book of Blessings" or some such thing. so i'm sure that non-clergy can bless people or things. and i know that fathers are encouraged to bless their wives/children every day. :idontknow: but i don't know for sure.

CatherineM

We have the book Prayers for the Domestic Church full of things like prayers over an advent wreath or prayers for travel. I don't think that I am blessing things exactly, but just prayers. There is even a little prayer for the burial of a pet that got used many times while my boys were growing up.

White Knight

Well, I have some holy water and I have a unblessed stand up crucifix, I was wanting to know if I could bless it, or if I souldn't do it, I wanna take it to a preist, but I just haven't had the time. So please, any adivse will be helpful, thank You.

To All: God Bless You

[quote name='White Knight' post='1593390' date='Jul 7 2008, 12:45 AM']Well, I have some holy water and I have a unblessed stand up crucifix, I was wanting to know if I could bless it, or if I souldn't do it, I wanna take it to a preist, but I just haven't had the time. So please, any adivse will be helpful, thank You.

To All: God Bless You

I haven't found anything explicitly that says that you cannot bless it yourself. The Catechism says " the more a blessing concerns ecclesial and sacramental life, the more is its administration reserved to the ordained ministry (bishops, priests, or deacons)." A crucifix would remind me more of something falling into the areas of ecclesial or part of the sacramental life, where as I would not see saying a blessing over your food as such. I've ran across many websites that say a Crucifix should be blessed by a priest, and that to of course kiss the crucifix is an indulgence act.

I bless my house and my cat but if I take crucifixes, statues, religious framed art, rosaries etc., all to my priest. I kept him pretty busy there for about six months after my conversion. :rolleyes:

Well you can bless but its not really doing anything. If you want something to be actually blessed you need a priest or a deacon.

Noel's angel

I nearly blessed my priest the other day, then I realised what I was doing. I was half way through making the sign of the Cross when I stopped. He gave me a bit of a look....

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1594325' date='Jul 7 2008, 06:41 PM']I nearly blessed my priest the other day, then I realised what I was doing. I was half way through making the sign of the Cross when I stopped. He gave me a bit of a look....[/quote]
rofl, I would *love* to see that look.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1594325' date='Jul 7 2008, 07:41 PM']I nearly blessed my priest the other day, then I realised what I was doing. I was half way through making the sign of the Cross when I stopped. He gave me a bit of a look....[/quote]

You: :pray::pray::pray: :sign:

Priest: :mellow:

You: :unsure::sweat: