An Old School Catholic Message Board

Moslems Vs Nuns & Monks

Autumn Dusk

Autumn Dusk

im just polling the mindset of phatmass. It isn't an specific example. Its the offhand comments about ultimate assimilation that are bothering me.

Catholicinsd has the words I was looking to hear. He states he's fine for both religious and moslems. However, I know that some people feel its fine for religious but not for moslems. I just wanted to see if that was truly how phatmassians felt and how in the world they could defend it.

Autumn Dusk

[quote]for one thing, i have so far lived for almost 20 years without ever seeing a nun or monk "in the flesh", only ever in pictures. by the nature of their religious life, they are not often subjected to the demands of secular jobs.[/quote]

BC's on the west coast of Canada isn't it? You need to come to the east coast of America. I know so many Nuns in full, often flowing garb, who do social work and sometimes medial care. (the CFR's, Sister's for life, the PVMI's) I know nuns who work on office-work in full habit, (paulist sisters). Their are friars from Maine, NY (near NYC) who built an house and chapel in their habits. I know the brothers who make bread and wine, both habited. The CFR's who skateboard habited.

I've only ever know or met two nuns who weren't in habit.

CatholicCid

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1592181' date='Jul 5 2008, 02:26 PM']im just polling the mindset of phatmass. It isn't an specific example. Its the offhand comments about ultimate assimilation that are bothering me.

[b]Catholicinsd [/b]has the words I was looking to hear. He states he's fine for both religious and moslems. However, I know that some people feel its fine for religious but not for moslems. I just wanted to see if that was truly how phatmassians felt and how in the world they could defend it.[/quote]

I don't think he said that :lol:

Also, in those examples of Nuns you've mentioned, do they all not work for religious institutions?

Edited by CatholicCid

the lords sheep

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1592163' date='Jul 5 2008, 09:12 PM']Perhaps you can cite some specific cases for us? The only thread I recall seeing recently was about a woman suing a hair saloon because she wouldn't be allowed to wear a head covering.
And yes, baking in a monastery is different then baking in walmart. A monastery is where monks live. It is a closer comparison to you baking in your own home then bakers at a walmart.
It's fine for the religious to wear their garb, even when performing mundane everyday tasks such as baking. Just as it is fine for Muslim women to wear head coverings and anything else they wish to wear. However, if either group enter a secular workfield that requires a uniform or the such, then they will most likely be required to wear said uniform.[/quote]

I know two medical orders of nuns who have doctors. On a regular basis, both wear habits, even when seeing patients (in the same way that in an office, most doctors wear a long sleeve lab coat). But when the Sisters go into surgery, they scrub up- they don the same scrubs and hair net (no veil) that they coworkers wear. It's more sanitary. It all becomes an issue of their patients health. They would be a bad doctor if they purposely risked their patients health in order to wear their habit in the OR. Most muslim women doctors I know who wear the hijab don't work in surgery/ER. They have private practices. This allows them to be both a good doctor and adhere to their beliefs.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1592183' date='Jul 5 2008, 01:31 PM']BC's on the west coast of Canada isn't it? You need to come to the east coast of America. I know so many Nuns in full, often flowing garb, who do social work and sometimes medial care. (the CFR's, Sister's for life, the PVMI's) I know nuns who work on office-work in full habit, (paulist sisters). Their are friars from Maine, NY (near NYC) who built an house and chapel in their habits. I know the brothers who make bread and wine, both habited. The CFR's who skateboard habited.

I've only ever know or met two nuns who weren't in habit.[/quote]

shows how much i know about nuns! hope that doesnt make my earlier post look really uninformed.

you would be right about the location of BC. some day i will make out that way, though i doubt seeing all the nuns would be my primary objective :lol: there are a few smaller catholic churches around here, though they are really small and not really typical church shaped. the most majestic catholic churches i have seen were in guatemala, i got to go see the oldest catholic church in latin america!

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1592158' date='Jul 5 2008, 02:11 PM']Then I don't understand what your point was or what reply you're looking for.[/quote]

Sometimes I get the feeling you read too quickly and miss the whole point :rolleyes:

I wasn't looking for a response, I was responding to a question addressed to me.

CatholicCid

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1592191' date='Jul 5 2008, 02:40 PM']I know two medical orders of nuns who have doctors. On a regular basis, both wear habits, even when seeing patients (in the same way that in an office, most doctors wear a long sleeve lab coat). But when the Sisters go into surgery, they scrub up- they don the same scrubs and hair net (no veil) that they coworkers wear. It's more sanitary. It all becomes an issue of their patients health. They would be a bad doctor if they purposely risked their patients health in order to wear their habit in the OR. Most muslim women doctors I know who wear the hijab don't work in surgery/ER. They have private practices. This allows them to be both a good doctor and adhere to their beliefs.[/quote]

And I'm guessing those medical orders all work within religious led hospitals or such things. I agree, especially in the case of hospital workers, that the safety of the patient comes first. I also forgot to point out that at times, uniforms or banned clothing are also implimented for the worker's safety. In Labs, long, loose clothing is normally forbidden, as it can drag into chemicals or open flames, injuring the wearer.

I was just trying to make the point that the basis of the argument, that we don't think Muslim's should be accomodated while religious are, is incorrect as the religious who do wear full garb normally work within religious led institutions, not secular institutions.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='mortify' post='1592306' date='Jul 5 2008, 05:22 PM']Sometimes I get the feeling you read too quickly and miss the whole point :rolleyes:

I wasn't looking for a response, I was responding to a question addressed to me.[/quote]

Nooooooooooooo, I was responding to your comment about "strict observance" of the no-man-touching rule and I gave the example of how women aren't even allowed to be in a male's presence in some countries if the male isn't a relative. Oh forget it. I'm confused. :ohno: :sweat: