An Old School Catholic Message Board

Alzheimer's And Tracking Chips.

picchick

Autumn Dusk

clothing can be removed...i live in the northeast and about two years ago a 'not that bad' grandfather of someone in town wandered off during the night and froze to death. He was still in his underwear and robe. I guess the chips/tags could be sewn into underwear, though.

The pressing concern is saftey. I'd rather persue and encourage a less invasive technology becusae it will happen. Dementia is a HORRIBLE disease and its like having a toddler in the body of a full grown person. Its not so much denying their human rights to track them, but a matter of saftey. They can be lucid enough to open a door, start a car, etc. but then not know where or who they are the next moment. People will demand this technology...it just depends on what we advocate is the best means to use the techology.

I am a bit torn on this, too. In dementia patients the disease is so horrible and unfortunately they do get lost and they do lose their identity. As much as I dislike this, I can see the need in some cases.

This is talking about a chip read by a scanner held inches from the skin. It is not a lo-jack.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1591612' date='Jul 4 2008, 09:05 PM']I don't agree with chipping people because it has shown health problems in the animals it has been used in, but I don't think it's a slippery slope.

The slippery slope argument has a lot of errors.[/quote]

I have not seen any issues with chips being used in animals. Where did you see that? I am interested in see what the issues are.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1591972' date='Jul 5 2008, 12:03 PM']clothing can be removed...i live in the northeast and about two years ago a 'not that bad' grandfather of someone in town wandered off during the night and froze to death. He was still in his underwear and robe. I guess the chips/tags could be sewn into underwear, though.[/quote]
true...I forgot about that. We had a lady at the nursing home arrive in the dinning hall stark naked.