An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mortal Sin And Prayer

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

does God not hear andor respond to the genuine prayers of those in mortal sin?
i heard once that they werent when i was a catholic. and always had that hanging over my head to this day. i'm not sure why i tend to think that though. (i do believe in mortal sin) i don't think it's even a definitive teaching or all that prevalent of a teaching in the CC.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

cathoholic_anonymous

God hears the prayers of all of us, mortal sin or not. Sometimes I have been unable to repent of my sins until I've prayed first for the gift of repentance.

What we must understand is that mortal sin is us turning away from Him, never Him turning away from us. The father of the prodigal son went running to meet his child even when that child was still a long way from home.

TeresaBenedicta

I don't know the official answer to this.

I know for me, at least personally, I find it extremely difficult to pray whatsoever after having committed a mortal sin. Whether it's because I feel so down-right horrible and unworthy to raise my eyes towards God or whether it's because I am completely cut off from God's grace (and every prayer is inspired by the Holy Spirit), I do not know.

What I do know, however, is that after committing a mortal sin, I can not go very long without finding my way to the confessional. I may at first be very apathetic, but by the passing of one or two days (most often less than that), I can barely stand it and I have to find a priest. It's difficult to live when you're completely cut off from God.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]or whether it's because I am completely cut off from God's grace (and every prayer is inspired by the Holy Spirit), I do not know.[/quote]

are you saying you think you are completely cut off, or are you saying that was one of the options that you might be a part of? i think it's ambiguous what you meant.
i point it out though, cause the idea of being cut off from grace is like the fundamental idea that belies the idea that God doesn't hear the prayers.

if you thought that was the case, that you're cut off. doesn't this mean you think he doesn't hear the prayers of the people in mortal sin?
or, the confessional is the only way such person can be heard?

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1592700' date='Jul 6 2008, 11:57 AM']are you saying you think you are completely cut off, or are you saying that was one of the options that you might be a part of? i think it's ambiguous what you meant.
i point it out though, cause the idea of being cut off from grace is like the fundamental idea that belies the idea that God doesn't hear the prayers.

if you thought that was the case, that you're cut off. doesn't this mean you think he doesn't hear the prayers of the people in mortal sin?
or, the confessional is the only way such person can be heard?[/quote]

Mortal sin cuts cutts you off from sanctyfying grace. What I was meaning to say in my post is that, for me personally, I do not know the reason why I cannot pray after having committed a mortal sin.

Oh, I certainly think God hears the prayers of people not in a state of grace. And I think (Church scholar, correct me if I'm wrong here) that such peoples are still recipitents of actual grace, since it seems to me that it is still by grace alone that we can ever be repentent. Actual grace, I would think, is that grace I need to get into the confessional in the first place.

So, essentially what I'm saying here (again, please correct me if I'm wrong) is that, yes, mortal sin cuts you off from grace. But it cuts you off from God's sanctyfying grace, not necessarily actual grace.

God hears all prayers. I believe that it is we, when we are in mortal sin, who have a problem with hearing God or of believing he is now listening to us.

When I have committed a grave sin, I too have a problem with praying because I know what a sinner I am and how I have offended my Lord. I continue to pray, maybe even more, for forgiveness, for strength to resist sin, for his grace to sanctify me etc. Then, I get myself to confession immediately because I can't live with myself is a state of unabsolved sin.

I have only once had to refrain from receiving the precious body until I could get to confession after Mass and I never want to have to do that again. It is excruciating. I know God heard my prayers and that was evidenced during reconcilliation. His Grace is amazing. Hey, that should be a song. :lol_roll:

JM + JT

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1590263' date='Jul 3 2008, 02:46 PM']mortal sin is us turning away from Him, never Him turning away from us.[/quote]
:)

From my understanding being in a state of mortal sin does affect whether God answers our prayer or not. It does not mean that if you're in a state of mortal sin your prayer will not be answered, but you must at least be repentant while making your petition, and certainly have the intention of going to Confession as soon as possible.

Edited by mortify