An Old School Catholic Message Board

Help With A Vocation Talk

Sister Rose Therese

Sister Rose Therese

I've been asked to do a talk at a vocation camp at the end of the month.
It is a 15-20 min talk with the topic, "What's a vocation?" and it will be for girls from grades 7-12. There may also be some college aged girls helping with the camp who would be listening to the talks.
This one will be near the begining of the camp and there will be talks later about religious vows, the differences between orders (I think), what sisters do, prayer, discernment and vocation stories.

There are a lot of different ways to approach a talk like this but what a approach do you think would be the most helpful for girls in that age bracket?

Edited by Sister Rose Therese

cathoholic_anonymous

I lose count of the number of times that I've talked to people - practising Catholics at that - who seem to think that a vocation is an obscure event that happens to somebody else. Emphasise that every person in the room has a calling of some sort. :) Then, to get the younger ones intrigued, you could throw out a few questions to them. Ask them how they imagine your life as a religious sister. Then talk to them about what it means to you. Talk about commitment to God. (The story of St Clare is in my head for some reason.) I think that this last point should be the most important one, as vocation is all about commitment.

the lords sheep

Talk about your own discernment. I know one thing that helped me was when Sisters have told me of their fears and struggles before entering. Early in my discernment, I assumed that because I was afraid and struggling with the idea of being a religious, I absolutely wasn't called to be one. As I listened to more stories, I realized that these fears are normal, and that God can be found even in the midst of fear.
Good luck and God bless, Sister!
In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren

Talk about the day to day life you lead. What makes your life as a sister different from say the single life or the married life. Your story, especially the struggles and the doubts are always good. I cant say enough, photos are wonderful. Photos of your chapel and the community at prayer, your dining room, a bedroom those kinds of things. I used to think nuns walked on pink clouds and lived in castles in heaven....took me a while to realize that sisters are woman first, but they may be too young for that thought!! Maybe you could give them a medal of one of your founders or St Francis or something like that....they could keep that. Or possibly a rosary. Something that they would remember long after and can touch.
Kids can spot a phoney and know when they are being fed a line. Be your wonderful self. And allow questions that may vary from can you see your parents again to can I shave my legs. Open, honest question and answers are always intersting.
Good luck!!! Our prayers.
AliceM

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1588365' date='Jul 1 2008, 02:36 PM']I lose count of the number of times that I've talked to people - practising Catholics at that - who seem to think that a vocation is an obscure event that happens to somebody else. Emphasise that every person in the room has a calling of some sort. :) Then, to get the younger ones intrigued, you could throw out a few questions to them. Ask them how they imagine your life as a religious sister. Then talk to them about what it means to you. Talk about commitment to God. (The story of St Clare is in my head for some reason.) I think that this last point should be the most important one, as vocation is all about commitment.[/quote]

I liked this idea and how it played out. I could see Sister giving the talk!

I liked Alicemary's idea about pictures too.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

You might want to bring up that discernment isn't (and vocations aren't) something that's just for future nuns or priests.

Sister Rose Therese

OK,
every one has a vocation
talk about fears
talk about my own discernment
discernment not just for future nuns and priests
commitment
The particulars about religious life and our individual communities and vocation stories will come later on in the camp. Because there are 5 other communities that will be participating I don't think it would be good to talk about our community too much at that point.
any suggestions on an area of focus or a good way to start?

Be very upbeat and your charming self(always of course!!). I would say something like we all have our path in life that we feel called to follow. Some seek out the married life, some to stay single and more career focused and others, like me have chosen to dedicate my life to Christ in a special way. I may be a little corny, but I always loved the poem, from Frost about taken the path not always traveled.
You might talk about the process of discernment, how you have small feelings inside that is pulling you to look into religious life. And possibly how to go about it(thank heavens for the internet).
You might say that there are priests, who choose to serve for the most part in parishes. Sisters who are nurses and teachers and evangelize, but some choose to live apart in a group and spend their time in prayer and good works inside a monastery. You might mention also third orders.
I could go on forever sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
DominicanPhilosophy

I would definitely bring some "Theresian" spiritual insight to the girls. Especially because of St. Therese's young age, I think that they will be able to relate to her [I know I can, and it is not because of my sanctity!] Make sure they realize that a vocation is a gift from God, a baptismal gift we receive from Him, one that, sometimes like many physical gifts, takes us a while to really appreciate. [b]Our vocation is the way God is calling us to love.[/b] That is the most important thing that girls could get out of any talk, since it leaves room for them to really find God and discover their vocation on their own without feeling like one state-of-life is better than another. While religious life is a higher calling, that doesn't make it [i]better[/i]. I think it is especially important to teach people that, or they could get a false sense of religious life, believing that religious are out to put on "holier-than-thou" airs; it's the beautiful unity of a human's body and blood to God while still on this earth. Possibly present the girls with a panel - a priest, a Sister, a married couple, a single person. Having a priest and a married man there might bring light to things the girls have never understood. I know for me that when I witnessed a talk with a panel, my knowledge and awareness of the priesthood definitely increased.

I would suggest watching this video for some ideas:
[url="http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week1123/cover.html"]http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/...1123/cover.html[/url]

God bless you and I will keep this in my prayers; I know that your talk will go well no matter what you say - you are the pencil with which God is using to write His words of Love in these young girls' hearts. <inspired by Mother Teresa

Sister Rose Therese

[quote]Our vocation is the way God is calling us to love[/quote]
Very good thing to bring up! Love is so central to our vocation.
I will have to check out the video.
I will be assisting at the camp and have been given this one talk to do, but there will be other talks done by other sisters there. I just have to do the "What's a vocation?" one.
I think there are going to be about 16 sisters there in total.
Please say a little prayer for the girls attending.
Thanks and God bless!

Maybe this book could help:

God's Plan for You: Understanding your personal Vocation

by Most REv. Fabian Bruskewitz

Shepherd's Voice Serioes, Basilica press

It's a little book w/ question and answer format

[url="http://www.basilicapress.com/"]http://www.basilicapress.com/[/url]

DominicanPhilosophy

Oh wow..Sister, when I clicked on this, I must have seen a previous poster's username because I didn't see yours. I have to admit I sometimes post without looking at the original poster. Guilty as charged! :huh: Otherwise, I wouldn't have given you a link to a different religious community's interview lol! Having you sisters there will be a great blessing for all the girls present.

You must have been wondering about me a bit when I wrote about doing a panel and bringing in sisters or nuns. WOW..I'm going to get some sleep now lol. God bless you Sister and good luck with your talk; I'll be praying!

Sister Rose Therese

Ha Ha, that's OK. :)
I understand what that is like.
But no, there is no problem showing that video to me. We religious do share a lot of things like this. We learn a lot from one another. There are some things on that video that are special to there community, but there is also a lot that is more general to religious life. I have actually watched that one before, and it is good.
I think I have most everything settled for the talk. Say a little prayer for me though. There are so many things I could say, but in only 15-20 minutes I have to focus. My biggest problem is not finding material, it is the speaking. Public speaking isn't a strong point of mine. It is something I am starting to get used to, but I am still not good at it. And speaking to young people in particular. I've never been terribly comfortable around teenagers even when I was one! :) I was always better with the little ones or the adults.
Oh well, in religious life you'll find yourself doing all kinds of things you never thought you'd do. Time to stretch out of my comfort zone.

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1599277' date='Jul 13 2008, 03:38 PM']Ha Ha, that's OK. :)
I understand what that is like.
But no, there is no problem showing that video to me. We religious do share a lot of things like this. We learn a lot from one another. There are some things on that video that are special to there community, but there is also a lot that is more general to religious life. I have actually watched that one before, and it is good.
I think I have most everything settled for the talk. Say a little prayer for me though. There are so many things I could say, but in only 15-20 minutes I have to focus. My biggest problem is not finding material, it is the speaking. Public speaking isn't a strong point of mine. It is something I am starting to get used to, but I am still not good at it. And speaking to young people in particular. I've never been terribly comfortable around teenagers even when I was one! :) I was always better with the little ones or the adults.
Oh well, in religious life you'll find yourself doing all kinds of things you never thought you'd do. Time to stretch out of my comfort zone.[/quote]

My dear Sister,

You are going to be just wonderful.... the Holy Spirit is going to let His words flow through you. I was nervous this past October when I agreed to teach Confirmation. Within the first 10 minutes, it was just fine. I will pray for you tonight at adoration.
May the Lord bless you, and keep you in His care. May He grant you the words to share with the youth as you talk on vocations. The youth will love you!!
Pax et Bonum,
Bro. Ed

Sister Rose Therese

Thank you Brother for your prayers and for your encouraging words.
Pax et Bonum