An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Moral To Wear Abercrombie & Fitch?

Fidei Defensor

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

lilac_angel

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1587684' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:30 PM']:hijack:

i used to love Tool. Did you hear the lead singer converted to Christianity?[/quote]

No waaaay!

Edit: Oh crud, nevermind.

Edited by lilac_angel

CatherineM

Most clothing companies use soft core to peddle their wares. I sew my own clothes to avoid the whole issue. No one wants to see me go nudist.

[quote name='rkwright' post='1587718' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:47 PM']haha I put in the tool CD today in my car... good CD![/quote]

They are pretty much my favorite band...but some of their stuff is pretty dark lyrically so I'm not sure I should be exposing myself to it. I do have a formed, adult moral conscience so I think I'm okay. Anyway...off topic...I should start a new topic about Tool...

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1587723' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:48 PM']...I sew my own clothes to avoid the whole issue. No one wants to see me go nudist.[/quote]

I have an even more profound respect for you now (because of the former statement)..I am personally too lazy to go that route.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1587625' date='Jun 30 2008, 11:05 PM']Buying clothes invariably supports evil.
I'm going nudist.[/quote]

Eureka :mellow:

mommas_boy

[quote name='Socrates' post='1587625' date='Jun 30 2008, 11:05 PM']Buying clothes invariably supports evil.
I'm going nudist.[/quote]

I thought that the idea was to AVOID scandal, not cause it ... :P

mommas_boy

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1587622' date='Jun 30 2008, 11:03 PM']I am not sure it matters. Americans are such hypocrites about all of these things. We won't allow sweatshops here but we don't mind buying from companies that employ them elsewhere. We don't want to drill for oil in ANWAR because of the ecological impact it may have...but we don't mind letting other countries destroy their own environments so we can buy their oil. It's all part of the same problem: we are hypocritical between our local and our global policies.

Sorry for the rant...it can be ignored.[/quote]

It's called [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimby"]NIMBYism[/url]. Welcome to America. :)

lilac_angel

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1587723' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:48 PM']Most clothing companies use soft core to peddle their wares. I sew my own clothes to avoid the whole issue. No one wants to see me go nudist.[/quote]

Sewing's tough; that's cool.. takes a lot of patience to learn. I've altered shirts from the thrift store but that's as much as I've given a decent try.

PS - thanks for the prayers Catherine; you're definitely in mine too. I'm terrible at mail but know that you've been in my thoughts very often.

I've never even been in an A&F...

I never have and never will buy their clothes. I know that they have (or if they don't any more, they used to have) nude models in their magazines. that's reason enough for me to not shop there. even if they've stopped doing that, I have more reasons not to shop there. their clothes are high priced, they plaster their brand name all over every item of clothing, and I can't even walk past their store without seeing several pictures of guys with their shirts off - I don't even want to think of what it's like inside the store. :blink:

I realize that there are pictures of guys with their shirts off in lots of stores, but it seems to me like A&F does it a little more, or at least more obviously.

pfft. Aeropostale is waaaay better.

And no, I don't think it's immoral to wear abercrombie and fitch. Unless you get something there that's really trashy looking...

nowak.chris

[quote name='Brigid' post='1587854' date='Jul 1 2008, 02:00 AM']... and I can't even walk past their store without seeing several pictures of guys with their shirts off - I don't even want to think of what it's like inside the store. :blink:[/quote]

They don't like their customers walking around w/o shirts though ([url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdeBp8J0rqs"]111 guys tried it in NY[/url])

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1587715' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:46 PM']There was an April geniuses Day hoax about his conversion back in 2005...it amounted to that alone, though: a hoax. I would say the lyrical composition of Tool's latest album suggests he is more on the side of theism than he used to be...although I would say its more of a new-age, embrace the eternal consciousness, almost hindu weirdness more than Christianity. I'm still praying for the guy![/quote]

thanks for the crushing news. :(

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1587725' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:49 PM']They are pretty much my favorite band...but some of their stuff is pretty dark lyrically so I'm not sure I should be exposing myself to it.[/quote]

that's why i don't listen to them anymore.

[quote name='Brigid' post='1587854' date='Jul 1 2008, 12:00 AM']I've never even been in an A&F...

I never have and never will buy their clothes. I know that they have (or if they don't any more, they used to have) nude models in their magazines. that's reason enough for me to not shop there. even if they've stopped doing that, I have more reasons not to shop there. their clothes are high priced, they plaster their brand name all over every item of clothing, and I can't even walk past their store without seeing several pictures of guys with their shirts off - I don't even want to think of what it's like inside the store. :blink:

I realize that there are pictures of guys with their shirts off in lots of stores, but it seems to me like A&F does it a little more, or at least more obviously.[/quote]

Yes, a friend of mine has SSA, and i know it is a huge struggle for him just to walk past their store. To me, if a clothing store's marketing campaigns are rooted in lust (especially considering their consumer target base of teens to mid-twenties), well, let's just say i am not a fan.

HisChildForever

They actually don't have high quality clothing there, considering their high prices. I'd only shop there if I have a gift card. Hollister is the same, though not as pricey. After wearing one t-shirt and washing it maybe two or three times, the material began to ball up.

missionarybelle

I don't wear their clothes because i don't support them as a company. Their avdvertising is disgusting and their clothes are sometimes very poor quality. I don't want my money to support them.

but even if somone gave me clothes from them i probably woulnd't wear it because i don't want others to think that I support them.