An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breast Cancer-free Babies?

Lil Red

+J.M.J.+
[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25455982/"]MSNBC source[/url]
[quote]The headlines were compelling, holding out a promise that seems to answer every parent’s prayer. Through genetic screening and in vitro fertilization, a British couple had conceived a daughter who would be “cancer free.”

But the claim, NBC medical editor Dr. Nancy Snyderman told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Monday, is misleading at best. And the screening that was done does not guarantee the child will not get cancer.

“I don’t think ‘guarantee’ is ever smart in medicine,” Snyderman said. She pointed out that the unidentified woman and her husband had used medical science to screen 11 embryos fertilized via the in vitro process for the presence of one gene, called BRCA-1. That gene had triggered breast cancer in the husband’s grandmother, mother, sister and cousin. Women who carry either the BRCA-1 or BRCA-2 gene have a 50 to 80 percent chance of developing breast cancer, usually at a young age.

The couple, who are fertile, underwent the invasive in vitro treatment to ensure that their daughter would not carry the gene. Of the 11 embryos conceived in the lab, five were free of the gene. Two were implanted in the woman, with one becoming a viable fetus.

But, said Snyderman, “There are two problems: You could have [the genes] and never get breast cancer, and there may be other genes that cause breast cancer that she’s not even screened for.”[/quote]

so what do you think?

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1587056' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:38 AM']+J.M.J.+
[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25455982/"]MSNBC source[/url]
so what do you think?[/quote]

I think this is an in vitro scam to rip people off. You don't have to inherit the BRCA-1 or BRCA-2 genes to get breast cancer, although it does increase your chances significantly. There is always the chance of mutation during development too. If companies are selling cancer free embryos its for profit not science. One more sign the world is going to hell.

Edited by Veridicus

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1587064' date='Jun 30 2008, 04:44 PM']I think this is an in vitro scam to rip people off. You don't have to inherit the BRCA-1 or BRCA-2 genes to get breast cancer, although it does increase your chances significantly. There is always the chance of mutation during development too. If companies are selling cancer free embryos its for profit not science. One more sign the world is going to hell.[/quote]
That's what I was thinking. And okay, so they screened for that one gene. What's to say the child they had didn't have a gene for something else that could be worse?

I think the better thing to do would have been to recognize that breast cancer runs in the family and thus to start screening any daughters much earlier than they would otherwise. But that's my opinion.

Impossible to "make" a cancer free child. Sure the baby will not have the genes to predispose her to get breast cancer. However, cancer is an occurance of cell mutation. The child can still get breast cancer or any cancer for that matter.

Plus, I am not too familiar with the process of storing embyros but what are the effects of that long term?

This is aside the point of this process being against the laws of God.

It would be great if we could minimize people's genetic predisposition to certain diseases and stuff; however, eugenics always creeps me out. Something about engineering kids make me very uncomfortable.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='kujo' post='1587077' date='Jun 30 2008, 04:58 PM']It would be great if we could minimize people's genetic predisposition to certain diseases and stuff; however, eugenics always creeps me out. Something about engineering kids make me very uncomfortable.[/quote]
When I think of eugenics I either think of the Eugenics Wars & Khan, or of Gattaca.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1587098' date='Jun 30 2008, 11:17 AM']When I think of eugenics I either think of the Eugenics Wars & Khan, or of Gattaca.[/quote]

Don't forget Margaret Sanger and Planned Parenthood.

My mother, her sister, and both my great aunts had breast cancer. I think my grandmother was the only female on that side of the family to be buried with a full bra, and she had colon cancer which is now considered related. We all had the testing for the genes, and none of us had/have any of them. I'm the only female left besides my mom on that side having had all brothers and male cousins, except for my cousin who died young and unexpectedly recently. I will say this, I never have to wait when it comes time for my mammogram. I think I waited 5 days this last time. So the idea that you can breed a special child who will never face cancer negates things such as chemical exposures, smoking, a bad diet, or even industrial issues. If you want to have a child with a smaller risk for cancer, make sure you take folic acid supplements well before getting pregnant, use non-toxic paints, etc, in the house, and teach them for an early age to eat a proper diet with lots of fiber and colored fruits and vegetables.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1587219' date='Jun 30 2008, 07:13 PM']If you want to have a child with a smaller risk for cancer, make sure you take folic acid supplements well before getting pregnant, use non-toxic paints, etc, in the house, and teach them for an early age to eat a proper diet with lots of fiber and colored fruits and vegetables.[/quote]
Doing well so far, then, in regards to my child.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1587056' date='Jun 30 2008, 12:38 PM']so what do you think?[/quote]
[quote]Of the 11 embryos conceived in the lab, five were free of the gene. Two were implanted in the woman, with one becoming a viable fetus.[/quote]

I think that baby is going to be born with ten dead siblings, that's what I think.