An Old School Catholic Message Board

Subliminal Messaging

Galloglasses

[quote][b]Criticism[/b]
The effectiveness of any subliminal message has been called into question time after time and has led many to one conclusion, namely: that the technique does not work, as Anthony R. Pratkanis, one of the researchers in the field puts it: “It appears that, despite the claims in books and newspapers and on the backs of subliminal self help tapes, subliminal-influence tactics have not been demonstrated to be effective. Of course, as with anything scientific, it may be that someday, somehow, someone will develop a subliminal technique that may work, just as someday a chemist may find a way to transmute lead to gold. I am personally not purchasing lead futures on this hope however.”

[b]Instances[/b]
In 1978, Wichita, Kansas TV station KAKE-TV received special permission from the police to place a subliminal message in a report on the BTK Killer (Bind, Torture, Kill) in an effort to get him to turn himself in. The subliminal message included the text "Now call the chief," as well as a pair of glasses. The glasses were thought to be of significance to the killer because when BTK murdered Nancy Fox, there was a pair of glasses lying upside down on her dresser. So, police felt that the glasses would stir up some remorse emotion and included them in the subliminal message. The attempt was unsuccessful, and police reported no increased volume of calls afterward.

[b]Fictional references[/b]
An episode of The Simpsons involved Bart and his friends joining a boy band, the Party Posse. While watching a video for the Party Posse, Lisa notices the phrase "Yvan Eht Nioj" being repeated continuously by belly-dancers. She plays the video in reverse and finds that it means "Join the Navy". Also, an Uncle Sam "I Want You" poster can be seen in the video frame by frame. The joke was that the United States sends subliminal messages in order to recruit people. In addition, the art of "superliminal messages" was demonstrated to Lisa; a Navy representative leans out a window, sees Lenny Leonard and Carl Carlson, and shouts "Hey you! Join the Navy!"
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subliminal_message"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subliminal_message[/url][/quote]The article covers both in the affirmative and in the negative of this issue, but I have the tendency to suggest that subliminal messaging, black masking, and other supposed means of influence are not as influential as some may think them to be. However, that these are still dangerous and should be avoided/prevented through those proper and appropriate means. At the same time I am one all for research and development, but it should be within moral, ethical, and legal boundaries. Most of all education in the matter, regardless if it is effective or not...

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

Galloglasses

I am NOT attempting that flashing subliminal messaging as proposed on TV adverts. I have already stated this and I have looked into Subliminal messaging. Images can be subliminal too. Gestures as well. Tone of voice, what you are, how you are saying it. Subliminal includes a plethora of methods outside of the famous Blinking-hidden-text-in-a-TV-advert. Brainwashing for example. One need not torture someone endlessly to brainwash them. But bombardment of propaganda, (Soft and hard propaganda) can brainwash them. Linguistically, if a person hears music on the radio, and below the music there is a high or low frequency message being played which the person hears, they soon begin thinking. For example, you're listening to a Beatle's Song, underneath the song there is frequency with the words, "Eat Hamburgers" Repeated over and over again. And all of a sudden a person can't stop thinking about hamburgers. In images it happens too, Hitler's odd hand gestures tended to mesmorise and cause the feeling sof his audience to rise and fall.

The Subliminal I'm doing is written and visual, and works on the basis of storyline. The storyline attracts and hooks the readers, all the while I will be propagating certain things as good and bad through a Catholic World Veiw by the Character's reactions, actions, dialogue and events in the comic. Only I will not mention what all these things point to. You all are thinking too much along the lines of the archtypical political subliminal messaging. Trust me, everyone uses it. Or in case the word subliminal is confusing people, Hidden Messages.

Believe me, my Poltical Science class thaught me ALOT about how the Government tries to use the education system to manipulate the next generation. (This usually fails as there are plethora of other sources from which an individuaal can gain political influences. The Church is an example)

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1597895' date='Jul 11 2008, 01:40 PM']Thats not the only part of the brain I can mess with.

BTW, Comp fixed, Thank God.[/quote]

Hmmm, do tell. :rolleyes: Now I am even more interested.