An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Does The Church Really Say

Lucy Lionheart

[quote name='Lucy Lionheart' post='1583086' date='Jun 25 2008, 03:58 PM']i hope i seem sincere

cause i am

i just want to know things for sure[/quote]

Lucy, I'm positive that you are being sincere in your questions. Keep asking them and we will do our best to answer them. If there is something that we are unsure about the Church's stance on something, we have a number of priests on the forum who are willing to help out with questions as well as Church scholars who hold degrees in Theology.

Lucy Lionheart

ok they said to come back here to ask

can babies before they were born have any feelings at all

and if they are mad can that make them not go to heaven as soon

like pergutaroy

like if they are really really mad

like if someone sinned at them

[quote name='Lucy Lionheart' post='1583162' date='Jun 25 2008, 05:13 PM']ok they said to come back here to ask

can babies before they were born have any feelings at all

and if they are mad can that make them not go to heaven as soon

like pergutaroy

like if they are really really mad

like if someone sinned at them[/quote]

I guess they could have feelings, I'm not really certain.

Being mad does not send anyone to hell. In adults, being willfully angry ( which is different than just feeling the emotion of anger or being mad ) or hateful is definitely a sin. The Church recognizes something called "age of reason" in which children, usually around the age of 7 know what is right and what is wrong and can understand the meaning of sin. Babies are definitely far away from this age of reason and thus would not be committing any sins.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='kafka' post='1583078' date='Jun 25 2008, 02:35 PM']Therefore they may go to a fringe of Purgatory in order to be prepared by God's grace to enter Heaven.[/quote]
That was my thought as well.
Interesting to think about though; I wonder what awareness is like after death. We generally assume it's at least similar to now, but that can't be true, because the self awareness of infants and small children is extremely different and undeveloped. :)

[quote name='Lucy Lionheart' post='1583172' date='Jun 25 2008, 05:23 PM']so they are always happy even if they die[/quote]

I'm not sure. I do believe that babies who die are very close to God, either in Heaven or some other place (not Hell) Everytime I think about babies who have died I think to Matthew 19:13-14 "Then children were brought to him that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples rebuked them, but Jesus said, "Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." We must have faith in the infinite mercy and love of our Heavenly Father.