An Old School Catholic Message Board

Natural Family Planning Discussion

Nihil Obstat

havok579257

OOOOOKKKKKKKKAAAAYYYYYY!!!

Now I understand NFP and why its allowed in the church. Its not something to be used just because you don't want children right now or just because you want to space them out, but only to be used by couples in grave instances.

Thanks for the help people.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='StColette' post='1582897' date='Jun 25 2008, 05:07 PM']lol which explains my ever growing belly ROFL![/quote]
:lol:

[quote name='prose' post='1582899' date='Jun 25 2008, 05:10 PM']I would also like to point out that it is no one's place to judge from externals what a "serious" reason is for any couple. Some people look like they have every reason to keep having children when in fact there are more factors going on than they care to share with people. Remember to keep conversations like this on a gentle, pastoral level, as you may be insulting or hurting people without even knowing it.[/quote]
Definitely! I was trying to hit on that in my post, but wasn't doing a great job of that. :)

[quote name='havok579257' post='1582936' date='Jun 25 2008, 05:49 PM']OOOOOKKKKKKKKAAAAYYYYYY!!!

Now I understand NFP and why its allowed in the church. Its not something to be used just because you don't want children right now or just because you want to space them out, but only to be used by couples in grave instances.

Thanks for the help people.[/quote]
Glad we were able to help. :)

I'm glad you finally get it. I'd hate to think I was viewed as committing a mortal sin to practice NFP so that I don't die.

[quote name='havok579257' post='1582936' date='Jun 25 2008, 01:49 PM']OOOOOKKKKKKKKAAAAYYYYYY!!!

Thanks for the help people.[/quote]
:lightbulb:

lol... people have been saying "for grave reasons" since the beginning of the conversation... glad it finally registered though. :)

HisChildForever

So unless you have a "grave reason" you're expected to have a child every time you have sex with your spouse. And what if the couple never runs into a "grave reason"?

havok579257

[quote name='Alycin' post='1583031' date='Jun 25 2008, 02:33 PM']lol... people have been saying "for grave reasons" since the beginning of the conversation... glad it finally registered though. :)[/quote]

not everyone has been saying for grave reasons, so it was quite confusing when people kept referring it as just a way to post-pone pregnancy.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1583039' date='Jun 25 2008, 02:41 PM']So unless you have a "grave reason" you're expected to have a child every time you have sex with your spouse. And what if the couple never runs into a "grave reason"?[/quote]

Well since no one can judge another couple's reasoning... it is up to the couple. We don't have the child police running around so it is on the couple's conscience and up to them to make good moral decisions based on what they know to be true.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1583039' date='Jun 25 2008, 07:41 PM']So unless you have a "grave reason" you're expected to have a child every time you have sex with your spouse. And what if the couple never runs into a "grave reason"?[/quote]
Well, you're obviously not going to get pregnant every single time you have sex. Whether you use NFP or not, a woman is only fertile for a short span of time in each cycle. And even if you do have sex in that fertile time, it's not a guarantee you will get pregnant. I think it's considered normal to take a year of trying to get pregnant. And if the woman is breastfeeding afterwards, it is possible her fertility will not return for quite a while. Not definite, but quite possible (still waiting on mine, and it's been 7 months).