An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholicism And Martial Arts

Nihil Obstat

Do you think there is a conflict between a practicing Catholic and the study of martial arts?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='LivingStone' post='1589769' date='Jul 2 2008, 11:08 PM']Quick Question: What about martial arts in competition? Often times, there are people that use martial arts as self-defense or as an excercise (as I do), but what about when it comes down to competition? I'm talking more than just kick boxing, I'm talking the stuff that's floating around on TV all the time, the UFC stuff or whatever...

I guess my question is where the line ought to be drawn? Eh?[/quote]

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1591649' date='Jul 4 2008, 08:48 PM']Well I've been in some 'competitions', but that's not what you're talking about.
In these tournaments I've been in, it's basically a showcase of what we practice in normal classes, just with other groups that are linked to my club. The only sparring that happens is the same as in our regular classes, very strict regarding light or no contact.
When we're talking about kick boxing and UFC though... Well there's a difference, obviously. I guess in a lot of cases I can't see it as inherently bad, because these people train specifically for the competitions, and it's often their job. The desire isn't to hurt anyone, although the lines get very blurred...
Good thinking though; I'll have to consider it more.[/quote]
I haven't practiced it myself, though I know a number of MMA fighters (including my jiu-jitsu instructor) and like watching the fights. I may start some MMA training, though I'm not sure I want to compete.
I think there's definitely some moral gray area here, as with boxing and other combat sports.
I do think that for one to be a serious fighter for self-defensive purposes, it's best that one do some "real" fighting, as opposed to light sparring. (Maybe not totally necessary, but if you plan on defending yourself against seriously bad people.)
I do think there can be a danger to seeking violence for its own sake, though, or for the sake of money/glory.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Socrates' post='1593122' date='Jul 6 2008, 08:23 PM']I do think that for one to be a serious fighter for self-defensive purposes, it's best that one do some "real" fighting, as opposed to light sparring. (Maybe not totally necessary, but if you plan on defending yourself against seriously bad people.)[/quote]
I mentioned earlier, I've come to the conclusion that if you're dedicated, practicing almost exclusive light sparring is a longer road, but one can, in theory, arrive at a skill level perfectly adequate for defending oneself. Obviously if you want to be a bodyguard or in the military, or a mixed martial arts star, you're going to have to train in other ways, but for normal people...

Also, I have to confess, I enjoy watching UFC fights too. ;) I could do without the spandex shorts though. :blink: Like... please?

• 2 weeks later...
friendofJPII

I'm not a martial arts expert, but from a standpoint of self-defense I see no conflict. Of course, it depends on how you train your kids to view their newly aquired skills. When I was a kid, the boys would boast about "how they knew karate" and use it to bully other kids. If you think it will foster a sense of pride in your kids, then I would hold off until they can fully understand how to use their "power" for good.

That being said, as a single woman I would really like to learn some self-defense moves. :cool:

Edited by friendofJPII

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1601403' date='Jul 16 2008, 06:56 PM']I'm not a martial arts expert, but from a standpoint of self-defense I see no conflict. Of course, it depends on how you train your kids to view their newly aquired skills. When I was a kid, the boys would boast about "how they knew karate" and use it to bully other kids. If you think it will foster a sense of pride in your kids, then I would hold off until they can fully understand how to use their "power" for good.

That being said, as a single woman I would really like to learn some self-defense moves. :cool:[/quote]
It always comes back to this, eh?
Children need to be raised in a strong Catholic environment, and SO MANY problems disappear. If not disappear, at least are perfectly managable.

If you're looking purely for self defence, most people would recommend Jiu Jutsu (also spelled jujitsu), particularly Brazilian, or Krav Maga.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1581579' date='Jun 24 2008, 02:02 PM']:sumo: I already have my own opinions on this, but I'd love to hear yours.

Do you think that a practicing, orthodox Catholic can also be involved in practicing martial arts (like karate)? Do you see any sort of conflict between the morals of the Church and the training present in martial arts, which prepares the practitioner (in theory) for a combat situation?

Mostly I want discussion here. :) After some people have made their opinions known, then I'll get involved and get my opinion in.
Please comment if you vote, thanks. :sumo: :ninja: :duel:[/quote]
Dojo's are some of the most Chill places you will ever find. I'm a black belt, I know a lot of blackbelts, and most are some of the most non-violent people you could ever meet. Someone who knows they can defend themselves doesn’t need to exert themselves to compensate for a lack of confidence.

I see no conflict.

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1601403' date='Jul 16 2008, 06:56 PM']That being said, as a single woman I would really like to learn some self-defense moves. :cool:[/quote]

That's fairly tough. Men usually weigh so much more than most women and naturally have more muscle. A 110 pound woman will have a great deal of trouble overcoming the momentum of a 200 pound man. Also height is a big problem. Women can learn to defend themselves well; it just takes a lot of time. A problem comes with some kind of female empowerment trainers, who try to teach women to fight like men (try to overpower them). Biologically women are structurally different then men, it's not that they are physically inferior, just that they have to learn to fight to their advantages in such ways that neutralize men's superior height and weight.

I don't want to sound misogynistic, some of the most accomplished black belts I have ever met are women, and they could toss me around like a rag doll. They just have to take the time to learn to develop their unique strengths.

If someone teaches you something that looks silly and ridiculous, chances are it probably is.

If you don’t have time for that, there is always pepper spray :P

[quote name='LivingStone' post='1589769' date='Jul 2 2008, 11:08 PM']Quick Question: What about martial arts in competition? Often times, there are people that use martial arts as self-defense or as an excercise (as I do), but what about when it comes down to competition? I'm talking more than just kick boxing, I'm talking the stuff that's floating around on TV all the time, the UFC stuff or whatever...

I guess my question is where the line ought to be drawn? Eh?[/quote]

No tournament I ever competed in/judged to was ANYTHING like UFC:P