An Old School Catholic Message Board

All The Cool People

Resurrexi

I would have to say the current ICEL translation is not though. Neither are EMHC outside of extreme circumstances. Neither is Communion on the Hand. And I'm not a big fan of versus poplum or Eucharistic Prayer II.

Edited by StThomasMore

Just from a non-Catholic perspective here, why does the Mass need to be cool? It is where Heaven and Earth supposedly meet; where Christ Himself is present in the Eucharist...even the most boring and non-flashy of Masses is to stand and kneel in the presence of God made flesh, an experience, that no matter the method of celebration, should never get old.

dominicansoul

I can understand where Stthomasmore is coming from. I too desire a more revered Mass. But I have never been disappointed with the Mass itself...perhaps only a bit disappointed in those serving the Mass. But they are not the focal point. Jesus Christ is.

St. Theresa of Avila was on a journey, and stopped at a chapel to pray Mass. When she entered this chapel, she was astonished to see two demons chained to the neck of the priest celebrating the Mass. She watched them as they writhed in agony because they did not want to be there at the Mass. When the priest prayed the Consecration, the demons became more and more irritated. The priest was in mortal sin...these demons were there because the priest was enslaved to a particular sin. But the Lord Jesus came anyway.

No matter what we weak humans do, the Mass is still the Mass. We don't make the Mass, the Mass makes us...and yes, I do agree with you that we should strive to make it the most beautiful and most reverant of all celebrations...but we fall short of that...it doesn't matter...God is what makes the Mass the Mass...

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1580698' date='Jun 23 2008, 05:18 PM']I would have to say the current ICEL translation is not though. Neither are EMHC outside of extreme circumstances. Neither is Communion on the Hand. And I'm not a big fan of versus poplum or Eucharistic Prayer II.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
then it's a good thing the Church decides what's lawful and not you.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1580743' date='Jun 23 2008, 06:00 PM']I can understand where Stthomasmore is coming from. I too desire a more revered Mass. But I have never been disappointed with the Mass itself...perhaps only a bit disappointed in those serving the Mass. But they are not the focal point. Jesus Christ is.

St. Theresa of Avila was on a journey, and stopped at a chapel to pray Mass. When she entered this chapel, she was astonished to see two demons chained to the neck of the priest celebrating the Mass. She watched them as they writhed in agony because they did not want to be there at the Mass. When the priest prayed the Consecration, the demons became more and more irritated. The priest was in mortal sin...these demons were there because the priest was enslaved to a particular sin. But the Lord Jesus came anyway.

No matter what we weak humans do, the Mass is still the Mass. We don't make the Mass, the Mass makes us...and yes, I do agree with you that we should strive to make it the most beautiful and most reverant of all celebrations...but we fall short of that...it doesn't matter...God is what makes the Mass the Mass...[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:notworthy: well said.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1580874' date='Jun 23 2008, 07:21 PM']+J.M.J.+
then it's a good thing the Church decides what's lawful and not you.[/quote]
PWNED!

MissScripture

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1580467' date='Jun 23 2008, 04:25 PM']Go to the Extraordinary Form. Or to the Ordinary Form celebrated like the Extraordinary Form. Or to the Eastern Rite. Yah. You know it's true.[/quote]
Nope, not really.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1580679' date='Jun 23 2008, 06:04 PM']You have to admit, the EF is wayyy cool.[/quote]
Nope, can't say that I do. I found it incredibly boring. I got nothing more out of it than I would've had I gone to the English mass a couple hours earlier.

[quote name='BG45' post='1580704' date='Jun 23 2008, 06:24 PM']Just from a non-Catholic perspective here, why does the Mass need to be cool? It is where Heaven and Earth supposedly meet; where Christ Himself is present in the Eucharist...even the most boring and non-flashy of Masses is to stand and kneel in the presence of God made flesh, an experience, that no matter the method of celebration, should never get old.[/quote]
Beautiful! :)

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1580874' date='Jun 23 2008, 07:21 PM']+J.M.J.+
then it's a good thing the Church decides what's lawful and not you.[/quote]

When vernacular was permitted in the liturgy, it was not meant to replace Latin in manner in which it did. Latin is still the normative language for the Roman Rite.

When other Eucharistic prayers were permitted by the Holy Father, he meant them to be used only on occasion, and to have the Canon remain the norm (hence, it is EP I: not II or III or IV)

Versus poplum was never required by the Council and the current Bishop of Rome seems to favor ad orientem.

When Communion on the Hand was permitted, it was to appease liberal dissenters who supported protestantizing the liturgy. It was never the rule, but the exception. And our current pope again favors the traditional practice.

So I'm pretty sure that it's fairly apparent that they way the Mass is celebrated in most places in the world today is not the way it was intended by the Council.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1580947' date='Jun 23 2008, 08:16 PM']Nope, can't say that I do. I found it incredibly boring. I got nothing more out of it than I would've had I gone to the English mass a couple hours earlier.[/quote]

Well I'm glad your ancestors didn't find it boring because you probably wouldn't be Catholic today if they had.

MissScripture

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1580960' date='Jun 23 2008, 09:26 PM']When vernacular was permitted in the liturgy, it was not meant to replace Latin in manner in which it did. Latin is still the normative language for the Roman Rite.

When other Eucharistic prayers were permitted by the Holy Father, he meant them to be used only on occasion, and to have the Canon remain the norm (hence, it is EP I: not II or III or IV)

Versus poplum was never required by the Council and the current Bishop of Rome seems to favor ad orientem.

When Communion on the Hand was permitted, it was to appease liberal dissenters who supported protestantizing the liturgy. It was never the rule, but the exception. And our current pope again favors the traditional practice.

So I'm pretty sure that it's fairly apparent that they way the Mass is celebrated in most places in the world today is not the way it was intended by the Council.
Well I'm glad your ancestors didn't find it boring because you probably wouldn't be Catholic today if they had.[/quote]
Well a fourth of my ancestors aren't!

MissScripture

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1580968' date='Jun 23 2008, 09:29 PM']this needs to go to the extra lame board.[/quote]
Yes, we need one of those.