An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can One Decide To Be An Athiest?

Autumn Dusk

Can one decide to be an athiest?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why did I first become an atheist? Well, the first time wasn't me becoming it, it's just how I was when I was a child. It never made the connection in my childish brain that the things my parents told me from the bible were anything more than fables or fairytales from other books. They were all stories with magical events and heroes and poor choices, often stemming from greed, causing bad things to happen. To be honest, I'm very much glad that I never took any of it to be anything more than a fun pretend, later to a thing I never thought about at all, and only afterwards as a full rejection. I just saw the similarities and recognized that they had equal relation to the real world.

[quote name='JustJ' post='1585876' date='Jun 28 2008, 08:28 PM']I don't address things I don't have answers to, and sometimes just because I don't take forums seriously enough to devote enough time to writing out some of these. I post enough as is.

But as I was saying, I don't address the things I don't have answers to often by saying that I simply don't have an answer for it. However, I would be willing to wager that there were natural causes behind it, or it was a fake, and one of the two can be proven scientifically at some point. Obviously, too vague, and the "at some point" makes it a lousy real bet, but the real point is that I'm very much convinced of the fact that a purely naturalistic approach will work is because it's worked in the past as much as I can remember, except perhaps in the case of a god who is hiding from us and then damning us to hell when we fail to detect him. I would think that if he's truly an all-loving god, he would reveal himself in a way so unmistakable that no one could dispute it.[/quote]

You managed to babble a lot on your scientific "theories" yet you have no debate on Dr. Newman's statement which in a scientific view, makes a lot more sense than what you have stated. But then, that actually points directly to a God who created all and that is not something you would willingly want to entertain.

God does not beaver dam anyone to hell who fails to detect him. He is not however very forgiving on those who have been taught his precepts and then willingly choose to ignore them and even worse, denounce him.

You nor anyone else can explain the miracle of the sun, yet tens of thousands have independently experienced it and I experience it on a daily basis. Please explain why the retinas of my eyes have not burned out nor been damaged at all in the hundreds of hours I have spent staring directly into the sun?
That is a supernatural event and is not an indicator of any God at work yet, it coincided with several other supernatural events that happened to me at the same time to bring me an awakening to God. One must have that awakening to even understand the truth. Once that truth is given to you by the Holy Spirit as a gift of knowledge, it allows you to discern what is and is not of God and to begin to experience him on a level that is not explainable.

God blessed those who saw and believed but, it is going to be so much greater for those who believed who did not see.

When you wager on whether or not these things are of God, be very careful that you are not wagering your soul.

rckllnknny

[quote name='JustJ' post='1585876' date='Jun 28 2008, 08:28 PM']I would think that if he's truly an all-loving god, he would reveal himself in a way so unmistakable that no one could dispute it.[/quote]

i agree. i also pray you hold on to that essence of truth. and carry it with you. amen.

Edited by rckllnknny

rckllnknny

no one can make you believe. you cant even make yourself believe. but one day it will make sense to you. when it is your place in time. your destiny will reveal itself. and you will conquer theories unexplained. you dont HAVE to believe us. but when that moment happens. we want you t look back and know who was with you, watching over you, showing you the way home...forever.

friendofJPII

I don't undestand your question exactly. Are you asking if one can decide to become an athiest after living a devout Christian life, that could happen, but I think it is unlikely. The closer you become to God, the more you pray, the more you KNOW He is real.

rckllnknny

i think the question is, simply, is it possible to CHOOSE to be an atheist? i know. i dont understand either.

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1595524' date='Jul 8 2008, 07:43 PM']The closer you become to God, the more you pray, the more you KNOW He is real.[/quote]

Or the more delusional you become? Muslims pray something like five times a day, and they also claim to know of how "real" he is. It seems the same goes for any god/religion, the more you pray the more you know..

friendofJPII

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Jul 8 2008, 08:04 PM' post='1595549']
Or the more delusional you become? Muslims pray something like five times a day, and they also claim to know of how "real" he is. It seems the same goes for any god/religion, the more you pray the more you know..
[/quote

There's a difference the Muslim people don't believe in a personal God in the same way we do. Based on the book I'm reading, "Understanding Islam" Allah is more of "fickle God"...you can follow all the laws perfectly but he may still not like you.

No, it's not possible to choose atheism. Atheism is where you find yourself in when it becomes impossible to believe. The reasons for that may be emotional or rational, but there is no decision, you just can't do it (anymore). Even if you truly wanted God to exist.

I would recommend that if anyone has any doubts as to the existence of God or Jesus as the son of God, they should watch, "A case for Christ." It is kind of a documentary made by Lee Strobel. He is a Chicago journalist. He is (was) also an atheist. His wife became Christian and he was so angry because he felt like he was losing her so he decided to investigate just like it was a trial. He spent two years and documented it with this video. It is pretty cool. It also answers a lot of questions people may have if they are atheists. Of course, they may not really want to know the truth. Being religious is hard work.

[quote name='Deb' post='1592744' date='Jul 6 2008, 01:39 PM']God does not beaver dam anyone to hell who fails to detect him. He is not however very forgiving on those who have been taught his precepts and then willingly choose to ignore them and even worse, denounce him.[/quote]
I denounce the teachings because I have failed to detect any real presence.
[quote name='Deb' post='1592744' date='Jul 6 2008, 01:39 PM']You nor anyone else can explain the miracle of the sun, yet tens of thousands have independently experienced it and I experience it on a daily basis. Please explain why the retinas of my eyes have not burned out nor been damaged at all in the hundreds of hours I have spent staring directly into the sun?[/quote]
I couldn't tell you. I'd like you to explain how I am completely wrong on everything just because I don't know all the answers, though.

Remember, I'm not the one claiming that anyone has omniscience, here. ;)
[quote name='Deb' post='1592744' date='Jul 6 2008, 01:39 PM']When you wager on whether or not these things are of God, be very careful that you are not wagering your soul.[/quote]
I have yet to see any evidence that souls exist, though.
[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1595524' date='Jul 8 2008, 08:43 PM']I don't undestand your question exactly. Are you asking if one can decide to become an athiest after living a devout Christian life, that could happen, but I think it is unlikely. The closer you become to God, the more you pray, the more you KNOW He is real.[/quote]
For the record, the more I prayed, the more I realized that it was just superstition.
[quote name='Phazzan' post='1595549' date='Jul 8 2008, 09:04 PM']Or the more delusional you become? Muslims pray something like five times a day, and they also claim to know of how "real" he is. It seems the same goes for any god/religion, the more you pray the more you know..[/quote]
I agree completely.