An Old School Catholic Message Board

Regular V.s.ers--how Old Are You?

Thomist-in-Training

Age of regulars  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Deus te Amat

I'm 18. :)

I voted for college age, because I'm anticipating the fall. I suppose I still qualify for high-school-ish, though.

Maria Faustina

[quote name='jkaands' post='1578947' date='Jun 21 2008, 08:59 PM']Ha!

So--which order, M-F ;)?[/quote]

Nashville Dominicans, hopefully. I have seen some orders that accept younger than 18, but none of them have even compared to Nashville. (for me, anyway)

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1578807' date='Jun 21 2008, 01:51 PM']Well, since I had always assumed it was "young'uns" in my head I mentally file everyone above a certain age together. Hence the non-scientific lumping of groups in the poll options.

By the way, the older vocations topic has two parts in my mind; the first part the part usually mentioned here where those discerning have either never married, or felt a call and married anyways and now free to enter if they can get accepted; and the other part, the medieval idea of retiring to a convent after married life. I can't think of examples I'm totally sure of the names of, but I think some Queen-Saints did this? Many others too. (I think of the fictional Kristin Lavransdatter, also.) It seems like in those ages the idea of entering to do penance was more commonly accepted. I wonder if those women were considered as nuns in the same way as the others, if they had a novitiate etc., or were more of "Mrs So-and-so who lives at the convent in an informal way." Maybe someone knows history better than me. In any case, perhaps some of those saints can be helpful models.[/quote]

Queen Briget of Sweden, co patroness of Europe, wanted to be a nun from very young but had to marry so had lots of kids, did lots of good works then became a 'real' nun after the Kings' death, great story, and it was common in medieval times and before for widows to retire into a life of enclosure - in fact if they didn't they could be a burden on their families. Some of the Celtic queens also did this. It is very interesting.

VeniteAdoremus

I'm 23. People usually give me 30 to 35, and my dad was once asked whether I was his sister (he was 59 at the time). Yet I don't have any wrinkles, I haven't spotted a grey hair yet, and I always have a watergun in my backpack when the weather is nice so I can chase my friends around. I honestly don't know.

It must be my amazing mental maturity.

*collapses in giggles*

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1586233' date='Jun 29 2008, 12:12 PM']I always have a watergun in my backpack when the weather is nice so I can chase my friends around...[/quote]

Too bad we can't all have a pizza party... sounds like it would be fun! :pigfly: well, let's meet up in Heaven, OK?

Maria Faustina

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1586347' date='Jun 29 2008, 03:18 PM']Too bad we can't all have a pizza party... sounds like it would be fun! :pigfly: well, let's meet up in Heaven, OK?[/quote]

Can you imagine that? A party with every from VS! That would amazing if we could do that! But, Heaven will be even better.

I don't know, heaven has that annoying entrance requirement that you have to actually die to get in, and i cant say that i like any of you guys quite enough to go along with that.

well, maybe meg, lori, kujo and some of you, but i would honestly prefer that we meet in another mythical realm, nebraska maybe?

Edited by Jesus_lol

Maria Faustina

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1586822' date='Jun 30 2008, 12:58 AM']I don't know, heaven has that annoying entrance requirement that you have to actually die to get in, and i cant say that i like any of you guys quite enough to go along with that.

well, maybe meg, lori, kujo and some of you, but i would honestly prefer that we meet in another mythical realm, nebraska maybe?[/quote]

:lol_roll:

Domine ut Videam

I've been pretty busy so I mostly been lurking and not posting.

But I am 19 yrs old. I've been hanging around VS though since I was 16.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Stacey' post='1586104' date='Jun 29 2008, 01:48 AM']Queen Briget of Sweden, co patroness of Europe, wanted to be a nun from very young but had to marry so had lots of kids, did lots of good works then became a 'real' nun after the Kings' death, great story, and it was common in medieval times and before for widows to retire into a life of enclosure - in fact if they didn't they could be a burden on their families. Some of the Celtic queens also did this. It is very interesting.[/quote]

I just finished "Kolbe: Knight of the Immaculata" and after her children were out of the house, St. Maximilian's mother became a Tertiary Oblate with the Felician Sisters (this was around 1910) and his father went to stay with some Franciscans, when they were both about 45 years old. It seems that his father didn't stay there though but joined the army; but his mother stayed and died at the convent at 76.