An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lawsuit Filed Over Christian License Plate In South Carolina

add

Does belief belong on a license plate?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What a pointless lawsuit! I should have known that a retired Methodist minister would participate in something completely irrelevant.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1576894' date='Jun 20 2008, 12:27 PM']Now I'm just confused.

I thought the problem was that the state was manufacturing it... but if someone paid for it... who even cares? Like, I thought that is was that ALL of the state's plates would have that print on it....

lol.[/quote]
Every state in the Union does manufacture specialty license plates that you have to pay extra if you would like(the exact cost varies state to state). They come in all varieties, usually supporting different causes, or professing membership in some sort of well renowned club. You don't have to have it, but the state does make it. It's a generally seen as a way of increasing state revenue, but at times the causes do get controversial. For example a few years back, there was a controversy in my home state of Virginia of a specialty plate that simply said "Adoption is the better option". The pro-choicers were up in arms saying it was advocating illeagalizing abortion which was of course was hogwash. I'm not sure who one that battle.

MissScripture

[quote name='Alycin' post='1576894' date='Jun 19 2008, 10:27 PM']Now I'm just confused.

I thought the problem was that the state was manufacturing it... but if someone paid for it... who even cares? Like, I thought that is was that ALL of the state's plates would have that print on it....

lol.[/quote]
The state is making them, but they're specialty plates, that (at least in most places) you need to pay extra to get. Not everyone will have to have that on their plate, but the state is making them. It would be like here, in Florida, I've seen pro-life ones, ones supporting education, stuff like that.

MissScripture

[quote name='Justin86' post='1576911' date='Jun 19 2008, 10:37 PM']Every state in the Union does manufacture specialty license plates that you have to pay extra if you would like(the exact cost varies state to state). They come in all varieties, usually supporting different causes, or professing membership in some sort of well renowned club. You don't have to have it, but the state does make it. It's a generally seen as a way of increasing state revenue, but at times the causes do get controversial. For example a few years back, there was a controversy in my home state of Virginia of a specialty plate that simply said "Adoption is the better option". The pro-choicers were up in arms saying it was advocating illeagalizing abortion which was of course was hogwash. I'm not sure who one that battle.[/quote]
:unsure: Well, in some states they have flat-out pro-life plates...

Those discriminating punks in Florida have a "Support Soccer" license plate but don't have any other sport.

The state is not forcing you to own one and if that freaks you out, don't touch money. I think every coin and piece of paper currency has the word "god" on it. Why aren't people bitching about that? Unlike the car tags, we have no optional currency.

[quote name='apparently' post='1577228' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:09 PM']The state is not forcing you to own one and if that freaks you out, don't touch money. I think every coin and piece of paper currency has the word "god" on it. Why aren't people bitching about that? Unlike the car tags, we have no optional currency.[/quote]
Atheists do, but courts have ruled against them for so long it's no longer even an issue--except in their own little world, of course.

homeschoolmom

My two cents:

If the state wants to offer decorative plates, fine and dandy.

But frankly they are license plates with the purpose of identifying the vehicle. Does [b] everything [/b] have to have an advertisement on it???

MissScripture

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1577237' date='Jun 20 2008, 06:34 AM']My two cents:

If the state wants to offer decorative plates, fine and dandy.

But frankly they are license plates with the purpose of identifying the vehicle. Does [b] everything [/b] have to have an advertisement on it???[/quote]
At least in some cases, doesn't some of the money made by the selling of these plates go to whatever "cause" it supports?

homeschoolmom

Nothing at all. But it's just funny that everything, everywhere has to promote or sell something rather than just serve its purpose. That's all. Can't have a plain park bench-- must sell ad space on it. The sides of buses and trains are rolling billboards...

If people want to spend their money on vanity plates or specialty plates, that's fine with me. I don't oppose them.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1577250' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:11 AM']At least in some cases, doesn't some of the money made by the selling of these plates go to whatever "cause" it supports?[/quote]
Well, I'm pretty sure that the MN wildlife ones are promoted as benefiting wildlife charities (what those are or how much they get, I have no idea).

As for pro-life or Christian ones, I have no clue.

[quote name='apparently' post='1576669' date='Jun 19 2008, 08:08 PM'](how do you have yes/no answers on the pole?) can someone fix?[/quote]

Thank you for fixing my (quote) "the poll has the worst set up I've seen on Phatmass" pole

MissScripture

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1577252' date='Jun 20 2008, 07:13 AM']Well, I'm pretty sure that the MN wildlife ones are promoted as benefiting wildlife charities (what those are or how much they get, I have no idea).

As for pro-life or Christian ones, I have no clue.[/quote]
Do we even HAVE pro-life or Christian ones in MN? :blink: