An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Has The Prices Of Gas Impacted Your Life, If Any?

"Kyrie eleison"

"Kyrie eleison"

I have a friend who is constantly telling me that things are going to get worse as the economy fails, banks failing because of foreclosures, etc. According to what he has read up on, calamities around the world will continue to get worse and there will be rioting in the streets because of the turmoil, lack of food, high prices and just all around frustration and loss of hope. He has encouraged me to stock up on food and other supplies, as things get worse.

Edited by "Kyrie eleison"

I just bought a new bike this week:
[url="http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn-hardtail/sorrento-08/"]http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn-hardtail/sorrento-08/[/url]

I bike to work now (which isn't that far away anyways) and I'm excited to start doing the bike/train thing whenever I go into chicago instead of driving. Chicago traffic is a pain anyways.

I also contacted my congressman about possibly getting Amtrak (which receives a copious govt subsidy each year) to be more accommodating to cyclists...

Edited by Didymus

Bit late to the thread, but I cut my extraneous driving out about 50 cents ago. I go to work, to church, and when the roads aren't flooded out, to BMCs. That's it.

johnnydigit

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1576031' date='Jun 19 2008, 08:28 AM']I want a bike. I used to ride one just about everywhere, but my husband won't let me have one. He's afraid I'll fall and hit my head again. Plus, there is a lot of traffic, and we do seem to get a lot of snow here.[/quote]

for a beginner i would advise getting a decent brand named used bike, preferably with front suspension, dual suspension (shocks in front and rear) preferred. schwinn is a no brainer, or just make sure it has shimano brand (or higher) shifters and brakes. used no-name brands just aren't worth it when you can get the good ones for the same price. costco, sam's club, even wal-mart carry schwinn.

+J.M.J.+
i live in a city with a bus system that is a failure. :rolleyes: i would take the bus if it had better routes and times (it doesn't run after 6 Monday through Friday, stops at 4 on Saturdays, and doesn't run on Sundays.) and it's harder now that i have my daughter, otherwise i would bike to work.

Johnny-Thanks for the information. I used to ride a motobecane GT in college. I had my eye on a Gary Fisher Simple City bike. I know my husband is right about not risking another head injury, but I thought I could get away with it if I wore a motorcycle helmet.

• 2 weeks later...
Proud2BCatholic139

I have a '02 Saturn SC2 and it gets 35 miles to the gallon on the highway. It is about every 7-10 days for me to fill up. I work 15 miles from my house, but I also have a toll. I just got a job MUCH closer to my house, so I hope I do not have to fill up as often.

It is still under 40 dollars for me to fill up.

CatherineM

My last new car was a '91 Geo Metro. It was a 3 cylinder that I got over 40 mpg in. Seems like we have the technology, but people were more interested in SUV's after that.

Ash Wednesday

If I could I would seriously consider getting a recumbant bicycle or something nice and just ride my bike. I'm not sure how cyclist friendly the u.k. is yet.

I moved to England and they have better public transport. Gas is still expensive here and rose in price though, in addition to saving up for a wedding, my fiance and I are a lot more selective about when we ever go for an outing somewhere on the weekend.

I hate oil. I hate that we have to rely on it so much.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1592475' date='Jul 6 2008, 04:35 AM']If I could I would seriously consider getting a recumbant bicycle or something nice and just ride my bike. I'm not sure how cyclist friendly the u.k. is yet.[/quote]
Guess it depends on where you are. :idontknow: I have a couple of friends who cycle everywhere and it seems to work for them pretty well. I keep meaning to get a bike, but just haven't gotten around to that yet.

I use to go to my moms every Sunday just to hang out with my brothers and sisters...and all our kids could play together....With the rise of gas and everything else. I have had to cut back on my visits to my mom. It has come at a really bad time too.
She is really sick and my sisters have been taking her back and forth to Dr. appointments, CAT scans, MRI's and lab works. I feel like a bad daughter because I have yet to make any of her appointments with her. I know that she is really scared and I have not been there to comfort her in her time of need and Physical pain that she is feeling. :(

Edited by Faith 1st

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Faith 1st' post='1592791' date='Jul 6 2008, 07:50 PM']I use to go to my moms every Sunday just to hang out with my brothers and sisters...and all our kids could play together....With the rise of gas and everything else. I have had to cut back on my visits to my mom. It has come at a really bad time too.
She is really sick and my sisters have been taking her back and forth to Dr. appointments, CAT scans, MRI's and lab works. I feel like a bad daughter because I have yet to make any of her appointments with her. I know that she is really scared and I have not been there to comfort her in her time of need and Physical pain that she is feeling. :([/quote]
Prayers for your mom & family. :pray: