An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Has The Prices Of Gas Impacted Your Life, If Any?

"Kyrie eleison"

"Kyrie eleison"

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1575220' date='Jun 18 2008, 03:29 PM']I came home from Ohio to California after completing my MA in Theology in order to take care of my elderly mother, but last year I contracted viral encephalitis and nearly died, and now I suffer from tremors on the left side of my body (my face, hand, and leg); but I have been blessed by God, because my right side is fine, and I am alive. Things can always be worse, but God gives every person the strength he needs in order to persevere, that is, if he will only put his trust in the Lord.

So although my plan was to come home and take care of my mother during her time of need (she has emphysema), in the end those plans were changed, and now we take care of each other, and – of course – I have no doubt that God watches over us both.

I pray for you and your family, so that everything works out according to God's design.

"O give thanks to the Lord for He is good; for His love endures for ever."[/quote]

Dear Apotheoun,

God always has a plan for those who put their complete trust in him. I have come to see that God's ways are not our ways. He has lessons to teach us and we should never loose faith.By god's merciful grace upon a sinner as me, he has given me and has shown me that his faith in him will never fail. I pray for you and your mother and all who are in more need than you and I.

God is good. Alleluia and Amen!

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='"Kyrie eleison' post='1575141' date='Jun 18 2008, 01:37 PM']Dairy,

So, IYO it it a lose, lose situation. When we become dependent on other nations we are at their mercy.

In my son's class they have given them the worst case scenario of the effects of global warming and he is very frightened. The young have to know the truth for they are the future.[/quote]

it's not a lose lose... i don't think i portrayed it that way. that you say that makes me think you didn't read my first post. if you read the first post... i'm not sure why you think i'm saying it's lose lose.

EDIT: nm... you addressed the post after my second one.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Kyrie eleison-I don't have children of my own. I raised two foster sons who are now almost 20 and 23. I still worry about them and their future. One thing that we humans are very good at though is adapting. Look at Cuba, and you may see where we will all be in 20 years. They have learned how to do without, fix broken things instead of throwing them out, and how to get by with little gas. Our North American cities will start having to look more like European cities in the way we handle living space and transit. Some of those sprawling bedroom community suburbs may have to be turned back into farm land. We won't be planting roses in our flowerbeds, but potatoes. People will have to learn to can their own foods again, and maybe even make their own clothes again.

There was a campy movie made years ago where John Ritter was president, and the country was going bankrupt called Americathon. In it everyone lived in their cars, and roller skated or rode bikes to work. The cars that did run, ran on chicken droppings. They had chicken coops on the top of the roofs of cars. Everyone wore jogging suits. It was supposed to show a future without oil. It also predicted the collapse of the USSR, and the move to capitalism of China. We can make fun of such stuff because we know deep down inside, that no matter what changes are in store, we will weather them and adapt. I'm sure people who made their livings making buggies and saddles were scared when they saw the coming auto.

desertwoman

We live about 45 minutes away from work and we have to commute. There are no buses that run into the near country.

Country folk are getting hit hard if they have to commute to the city to go to work. And to live in the city is far expensive, so that option is out for us.

Apotheoun-When I got hurt, and was forced to medically retire from my legal career, I thought that my life was practically over. My income was radically lowered, and I lost just about everything, home, car, self esteem. It was a long climb out, and just incredible amounts of adapting to my new reality. I never thought I'd be able to do without a car, or live in 600 sq feet when I was used to 4 times that much. Somehow though, I think the coming changes will be easier in some ways for those of us who have already had to adapt to difficult changes to deal with.

TeresaBenedicta

I miss living on campus. I didn't spend nearly as much money. In fact, I could go months without spending a dime out of my pocket (yay for prepaid meal plans).

Being home this summer and back to driving is just horrible. I just filled up my tank and at $4.35, it cost over $40 to fill up. When I first got my car, two years ago, it was barely $20 to fill up. I went to work and made just enough to pay for the gas I had to put into my car. And the only places I drive? To Mass and to work. So, I'm paying what I make in order to go to daily Mass and to go to work.

*sigh*

It's depressing, to say the least. Especially when it makes me decide against going to a friend's house or some other place; just because I don't want to waste my gas.

Living on campus was perfect. Didn't need a car. Everything I needed/wanted was right there. Friends, Mass, food, etc.

[quote name='"Kyrie eleison' post='1575048' date='Jun 18 2008, 11:57 AM']Just to add on if anyone would like to comment on this also, do you believe that all that is transpiring around the world are birth pangs of the tribulation?[/quote]
The Tribulation may or may not come in our lifetimes, but that remains pure speculation.
However, while it will make a lot of problems, I don't think expensive oil in itself qualifies as a sign of apocalyptic doom. People through history have had to suffer through much worse problems. We're a spoiled generation, and not used to actual hardship.

I have been without a car for more than 2 years now. And during that time, the price of gas has more than doubled! I know use public transportation, my bicycle and my feet to get places. Now that the new YM job is on the horizon, it looks like I will have to buy a car. :(

Thank God for public transportation!

As far as signs of the coming Tribulation (capital T), that has yet to be seen. There will be many tribulations (lower case t) throughout history before the final will occur. John Paul II already told us in previous addresses that we are entering an apocalyptic time in history. Its likely not the final Tribulation, but difficult times are clearly on the horizon for the world.

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1575394' date='Jun 18 2008, 08:00 PM']I miss living on campus. I didn't spend nearly as much money. In fact, I could go months without spending a dime out of my pocket (yay for prepaid meal plans).

Being home this summer and back to driving is just horrible. I just filled up my tank and at $4.35, it cost over $40 to fill up. When I first got my car, two years ago, it was barely $20 to fill up. I went to work and made just enough to pay for the gas I had to put into my car. And the only places I drive? To Mass and to work. So, I'm paying what I make in order to go to daily Mass and to go to work.

*sigh*

It's depressing, to say the least. Especially when it makes me decide against going to a friend's house or some other place; just because I don't want to waste my gas.

Living on campus was perfect. Didn't need a car. Everything I needed/wanted was right there. Friends, Mass, food, etc.[/quote]

I'm in exactly the same situation. I lived on campus. My parents never came and got me during breaks I always carpooled or took the train (3.5 hours either way). I could go a month or two without spending any money at all...and I do mean any money. I only went to the store for shampoo and other such sundries, or typically I nixed the shampoo from home on my breaks.

Now I'm waiting for my full-time job and working a part time one solely to pay for gas. I live in the country with no mass transit (I'm in New England not near a big city). At minimum wage ($7 pre-tax) I have to work for a half an hour to pay for the 20mi round trip I make every day. I stopped going to the more reverant church because it cuts 15mi off my round trip....its 16 as opposed to over 30. The church dosn't even follow GIRM....but thats a different story.

And I'm job hunting...I've put so many miles on my car job hunting that I need an oil change!!! And there isn't even mass transit to cut out the long drives I have to take for interviews.

johnnydigit

i started bicycling. it's fun by yourself or with friends, it's healthy, saves gas, the environment, and you get to see a side of the city you never see when driving.

I know that cycling is not an option for everyone, but I'm surprised that so many people choose to drive.

I'm also lucky in that my home and workplace are on the same bus route. The bus schedule is not great, but it's better than nothing.

So far, for me, it's lessened my disposable income. I haven't yet had to make sweeping changes to my lifestyle, though moving to Michigan will give me plenty of reason to get a second (cheap) car that's easier to drive in snow, gets better gas mileage and can fit more than 2 people. I've been financially blessed so far, but I do think that I'm in an unusual situation compared to others.

I want a bike. I used to ride one just about everywhere, but my husband won't let me have one. He's afraid I'll fall and hit my head again. Plus, there is a lot of traffic, and we do seem to get a lot of snow here.